How to warm up your tires ?

Ikillbugsfast

Registered
In my other forum .we ware talking about how to warm up you tires for the curves.and a guy told us that , weaving back and forth This is an unsafe way to test your tires cold grip which could land you on your head. and with a passenger none the less. You need to read more and study how a tire is designed to work.
I have seen many people weave back and forth just wondering what would be the proper way of warming you tires up with out doing a burnout

How To Properly Warm Up Your Tires - Sport Rider Magazine

In this article it says that The next myth we see perpetuated nearly every time we watch the warm-up lap to a race. Riders begin weaving back and forth in apparent attempt to scuff the tread surface (which we've already discounted) and generate heat. The reality is that, according to every tire engineer that I've asked, there are far more effective ways of generating heat in a tire that are also much safer. Rather than weaving back and forth-which does little in the way of generating heat but does put you at risk asking for cornering grip from tires before they're up to temperature-you're far better off using strong acceleration and braking forces, and using them while upright, not leaned over! Acceleration and braking forces impart far more flex to the tire carcass, which is what generates the heat that then transfers to the tread compound as well (you often see Formula 1 cars weaving violently back and forth because automobile tires operate on a horizontal plane, so they have and use significant sidewall flex to generate heat).

Read more: How To Properly Warm Up Your Tires - Sport Rider Magazine

I have heard also that accelerating and deaccelerating is a good way to flex bike tires generating heat.

There was also a theory a while back that in a race while taking off from the start the bikes that had room would lean back and forth somewhat dramatically to use the smaller portion of the tire instead of the center. In doing this they were reducing the "gearing" ratio and able to gain take off speed quicker. I never heard if that was actually a proven effective method or not.

I do the back and forth weave after buying gas, every time. The gas, diesel, soda, washer fluid, coolant and other gross fluids can easily get on your tires. It's not to warm them up to temperature, that's for sure. If a group ride stars at a gas station and you see experienced folks doing it, that's why.

I do the back and forth weave after buying gas, every time. The gas, diesel, soda, washer fluid, coolant and other gross fluids can easily get on your tires. It's not to warm them up to temperature, that's for sure. If a group ride stars at a gas station and you see experienced folks doing it, that's why.

+1

Weaving to clean tires, and quite frankly, I do it when I first get on my bike just to get the feel of moving around... sort of a mental stretching exercise.

Ever watch an indy or nascar race? What are they doing behind the pace car at the start of a race and during a yellow flag? They are keeping the heat in there tires.

Ever watch an indy or nascar race? What are they doing behind the pace car at the start of a race and during a yellow flag? They are keeping the heat in there tires.

That's explained in the article linked above. Apparently much different tire design where there's more flex in a much larger sidewall.... and will produce usable heat.

That's explained in the article linked above. Apparently much different tire design where there's more flex in a much larger sidewall.... and will produce usable heat.

Ohhh forgot one is rubber and the other one is rubber and that rubber doesnt get sticky with heat to where this rubber does..
Works for me I'll keep weaving to heat em up.

Ohhh forgot one is rubber and the other one is rubber and that rubber doesnt get sticky with heat to where this rubber does..
Works for me I'll keep weaving to heat em up.

Hey, I didn't write it. Just sayin' that the question had come up in the article about why Indy cars were doing it, and that was the answer the "Racing Manager for Pirelli Tire North America's Motorcycle Division. Knoche (who) has been with Pirelli for 13 years" gave.

I just warm them with my kind heart myself :)

Sean

Back