Riding tips learned at the track

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
most track tips apply on the streets too. many riders can benefit from this

1. when in turns and leaning, keep your eyes horizontal like the surface [no head tilting]

2. to stick in high speed corners, lesser tire PSI allows larger surface contact patch and better tire heating

3. look ahead through the turn, not where you are at right now

4. wear full gear, all the time

Was tought to put your head to the side of the windscreen when going through the corners. So your head to the right of the screen if going right....it also allows you to keep your head horizontal as mentioned. Also get a few books for riding tips too. Read them every 3 to 6 months...you will also pick up things you didn't realize you missed!!! Kieth Codes....twist of the wrist I and II!!! And Sport riders " Riding Tips"

My tip would be to do nearly the opposite of what you do at the track when you are on the street!

Track = brake LATE and hard
Street= brake early and easy

Track = Turn early, drag knee over curbing in apex
Street = Run deeper into corner, stay in middle of your lane or get killed

Track = Haul a**
Street = Do posted limit

Track = you have GREAT traction
Steet = Automobile A/C condensation, leaky transmissions and engines, painted stripes NO TRACTION

Lastly, street = 16 year old kids in Honda Accords, driving, talking on cell phones and texting all AT THE SAME TIME. My dogma is that they are all trying to kill me. Not so at the track.

I love the track and I like riding the streets too but they are VERY different conditions and call for very different techniques.

When cornering keep your toe on the inside peg, weights for the turn, forces knee out & keeps you from dragging the toe off your flip flops.

VERY Good point YH2K!!! As much as I would NEVER encourage people to ride the streets like they are on a track, they are going to do it anyway. Maybe a few tips from skilled riders will save their stupid butts
smile.gif

VERY Good point YH2K!!!   As much as I would NEVER encourage people to ride the streets like they are on a track, they are going to do it anyway.  Maybe a few tips from skilled riders will save their stupid butts  
smile.gif
Yea.... I never eclipse the posted speed limit
whistling.gif

rofl.gif

I have the books from Keith Code and I was planning on reading them before I went up the Dragon. I plan on ALMOST scraping some knees!!.... Almost.....

VERY Good point YH2K!!!   As much as I would NEVER encourage people to ride the streets like they are on a track, they are going to do it anyway.  Maybe a few tips from skilled riders will save their stupid butts  
smile.gif
Yea.... I never eclipse the posted speed limit
whistling.gif

rofl.gif
That is why I always follow you
smile.gif
Man, those pants make my butt look.... oh, nevermind....

Ride safe on the street and WFO on the track
thumb_up.gif

smile.gif

My tip would be to do nearly the opposite of what you do at the track when you are on the street!

Track = brake LATE and hard
Street= brake early and easy

Track = Turn early, drag knee over curbing in apex
Street = Run deeper into corner, stay in middle of your lane or get killed

Track = Haul a**
Street = Do posted limit

Track = you have GREAT traction
Steet = Automobile A/C condensation, leaky transmissions and engines, painted stripes NO TRACTION

Lastly, street = 16 year old kids in Honda Accords, driving, talking on cell phones and texting all AT THE SAME TIME. My dogma is that they are all trying to kill me. Not so at the track.

I love the track and I like riding the streets too but they are VERY different conditions and call for very different techniques.
thumb_up.gif
AMEN !
thumb_up.gif

thumb_up.gif

Was tought to put your head to the side of the windscreen when going through the corners. So your  head to the right of the screen if going right....it also allows you to keep your head horizontal as mentioned. Also get a few books for riding tips too. Read them every 3 to 6 months...you will also pick up things you didn't realize you missed!!! Kieth Codes....twist of the wrist I and II!!! And Sport riders " Riding Tips"
Kiss the mirror (or where your mirror would be, but you removed it for the track day)

I have the books from Keith Code and I was planning on reading them before I went up the Dragon. I plan on ALMOST scraping some knees!!.... Almost.....
You need a track day where the conditions are controlled and you can work your way up to it. Less unknown varibles and more time to concentrate on your riding skills... by the end of the day you will be draggin a knee...

Light hands!!!

Light hands!!!

Be relaxed, relaxed is smooth and fast.
I was taught to turn using only one hand/arm... that way you don't fight it. Use the inside hand/arm to make the turn, keep the outside arm relaxed, so relaxed it should be laying on the tank. Don't muscle it, go with the flow...

Repeated quote over and over in "Twist of the Wrist II"

Once the throtle is cracked on, it is rolled on smoothly, evenly, and constantly throughout the remainder of the turn.

Was tought to put your head to the side of the windscreen when going through the corners. So your head to the right of the screen if going right....it also allows you to keep your head horizontal as mentioned. Also get a few books for riding tips too. Read them every 3 to 6 months...you will also pick up things you didn't realize you missed!!! Kieth Codes....twist of the wrist I and II!!! And Sport riders " Riding Tips"
Go to the school, it is money well spent.

superbike1.jpg

Back