Riding tips learned at the track

Using both brakes and trailing braking with the rear into the corner will out perform someone using the front only. But like Charles said, don't do it if you aren't well practiced or the bike will toss you over the top.

What is the proper thing to do when in a turn too fast? I know you are not suppose to hit the brakes because it will stand the bike up.
Accelerate to compensate for too much lean.  If you find yourself leaning too much for the turn then speeding up will help.  Do it on rare occassion...usually it's the other way around.

MY BAD, I thought I read "turning to fast (sharp)" not "in a turn going to fast."

Hey guys, when you countersteer, is it just to get the bike to fall into the turn, or do you hold it all the way through the turn ? That's what I mean when I say I feel I'm fighting it......like the bars want to turn into the turn half way through, but doesn't seem to do it, or it's not as noticable when going fast ? (only happens in tight turns ??) And I never noticed this on smaller bikes ?

this is my kind of thread !! What's a good school to go to ?

Hey guys, when you countersteer, is it just to get the bike to fall into the turn, or do you hold it all the way through the turn ?  That's what I mean when I say I feel I'm fighting it......like the bars want to turn into the turn half way through, but doesn't seem to do it, or it's not as noticable when going fast ?  (only happens in tight turns ??) And I never noticed this on smaller bikes ?

this is my kind of thread !!  What's a good school to go to ?
I countersteer all the way through the turn, that way you are able to make line adjustments to go around other riders on the track, debris in the road, etc. at full lean. If you have the $ go to Freddy Spencers school. When I am working w/ someone on cornering I take my inside hand off the bar & point out a line I want them to follow. It kind of freaks them out the first time to see someone dragging their knee one handed. You hold all your weight w/ your outside leg gripping the tank. Stompgrip is a wonderful thing.

is this wrong?

hptdrag.jpg

When riding in the rain...

How about using the next gear up than what you normally would be in to help tame some of that torque in the adverse conditions...

Back