Reversing the Gear Shifter

CalgaryBusa

Registered
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on a question I have. I'm taking possession of a brand new 2008 this week and I wanted to know if the shifter can be reversed like you can on the first gen. So to clarify, first gear is up and the other 5 are down.

Thanks,

CB

I believe the only difference in the rearsets is the bolt pattern..the center hole is off some..most aftermarket rearsets that dont use that center hole will work on both gens..so i believe u will be fine..

sent from my busa

I had a friend of mine that did it on his 2011 and did not like it. He said that when he was racing it was hard to shift. But yes it can be done

Just bought a 2011 and tried to invert the shifting for GP style...The Kickstand Control Sensor is in the way does not seem to be possible to do this mod...someone help me out here?

You can do it but must take off the kick stand sensor off and bypass it. Works really good for the twisties (because your foot is on top of the shifter instead of under the shifter) but not for drag racing because of the force of the bike taking off made it hard for me to push down on the shifter to hit 2nd gear instead of lifting up to hit 2nd gear. I've since then taken the stretch off so i may go back to GP style again. I really like it for the twisties and seemed smoother shifting (could just be me though lol) Does take awhile to get use to though lol.

I've ridden with the inverted shifter for the last 8 years and I prefer it over the factory settings. Im glad to hear that it can be done. Besides I'd hate to have to relearn how to shift after all this time :)

No way to relocate it that i know of. You have to take it off and cut and splice the two wires together,that bypasses it all together and your good to go:thumbsup:

There is no need to cut the wire to the kick stand sensor. You can losen the bolt and fold the kick stand sensor down clearing the gear lever. Then you pull a zip tie over the sensor and then all you have to do is grind the rear kick stand bolt down to a minimum and your all set to reverse the gear lever.

Back