I need some help replacing the stock rod on the foot shift--05 Busa

FloydV

Donating Member
Registered
Hello guys,

I need some help locating a shop somewhere in the U.S. that will fabricate a new rod (the one you can adjust so the shifter goes either up or down.

The problem is my 14 1/2 feet. I had a place in Fort Worth that cut the foot shift in half, and then added 1 1/2" to the length. If I can bring the shifter down, I have real tight, never miss a shift shifting. It is a steel rod, about 1/4" in diameter and say 6 inches long. It has reversed threading on one end, and regular on the other. That's it. The shipping would be really cheap.

The problem is getting someone to work on such a small project. I would actually want to order two. Once that is 7" and the other at 8".

Can someone help me to find a suitable shop, or even a person?

Thanks,
Floyd

I don't know if you have ever just purchased rods. They come in different lengths. Vortex makes them I think. I have one for my quickshifter. Ordered from Annitori Distributing. Annitori -- MICRON They are super nice people to work with.

115mmshftlkg.jpg

You shouldn't need a new shifting rod to adjust the shifter to your liking. Simply remove the shifting arm and rotate it one notch on the spline then re-adjust the stock adjusting rod to your liking.

You shouldn't need a new shifting rod to adjust the shifter to your liking. Simply remove the shifting arm and rotate it one notch on the spline then re-adjust the stock adjusting rod to your liking.

I've had the foot shift extended by 1.5". To get the pedal down to where I like it, the rod was hanging on by about two threads on each side. I had a shop make me another that is nicer looking and larger in diameter (except for the threads) for $25. I've got it adjusted perfectly and there is plenty of thread in each socket.

Because the shifter had to have a piece welded in to make it longer, the last piece of the puzzle is to get a peg that is 1/2 inch longer, so I'm not always riding pigeon toed. The longer shifter is also 1/2 inch thicker which holds my foot away from the stock peg that much. That peg is press fit and then welded (the seam is under the rubber part). It will cost me another $50 to have them grind off the old peg, and press fit or thread in a new longer peg.

What he said!!
Suzuki spent extra money in machine work to make them splines.... the splines are a course adjustment and the threaded rod is a fine adjustment.

Use and adjust what's given to you.

What he said!!
Suzuki spent extra money in machine work to make them splines.... the splines are a course adjustment and the threaded rod is a fine adjustment.

Use and adjust what's given to you.

The problem is solved. I know how the adjustment works. It turns out that to fit my foot, the threads were about two threads into each socket. I had another rod made that is about 3/8" longer, and the rod fits well into the middle of the two sockets now. It's a nicer looking rod to boot.

Floyd

You didn't have to have a new rod made. You simply could of got a thread stud m6x1.0 and a m6x1.0 coupling nut and you could of added it to the end and extended the rod by close to 2" with plenty of adjustment where ever you like.

Instead of the coupling nut couldnt he have used some of the plastic tubing he removed from the engine :rofl:
sorry couldnt resisit..

Back