Longer shifter lever , Need Help

busatim

Registered
Does anybody know of a shifter lever that is longer then the stock one., that will fit the same diameter shifter rod splines. Someone out there must have come across this, need longer shift lever, foot won't raise enough for easier shifting. I had a accident in 1999 and my foot won't raise up enough for proper shifting. New Member and new owner of Gen II . Pm me please if you can help me. Thanks, busatim OR EMAIL: mazdatim@copper.net

Does anybody know of a shifter lever that is longer then the stock one., that will fit the same diameter shifter rod splines. Someone out there must have come across this, need longer shift lever, foot won't raise enough for easier shifting. I had a accident in 1999 and my foot won't raise up enough for proper shifting. New Member and new owner of Gen II . Pm me please if you can help me. Thanks, busatim OR EMAIL: mazdatim@copper.net

Have you already tried to adjust it ???

I have the same foot problem. I adjusted the shifter, which works when I wear my steel toed boot, but with my Sidi's on I still had problems. You need to be careful as to how far you open the shifter, leaving enough thread inside both the front and rear fitting to prevent them from separating. A longer rod is the best solution. If you know of a good hardware store, take your shifter rod there and see if they can't make you a custom one.

I wasn't happy with the length of the shift throw either, but was easily able to adjust it to my liking (only moved it maybe 1/8").

D

not the cheapest solution but:
Vortex rearsets W/OSD kit.. I purchased the Vortex rearsets for $200 w/OSD kit.. I did not need the kit (includes an excessively long toe piece and peg) to get around the wider swing arm.. The Vortex gets pretty close to the comfort level of the Buell peg although it is set just a touch further back..

OSD.jpg

If my geometry is correct, and it is, a longer shifter will actually require you to lift your foot higher for the same amount of throw as the stock shifter.???

If my geometry is correct, and it is, a longer shifter will actually require you to lift your foot higher for the same amount of throw as the stock shifter.???

While you're geometric assumption is correct, the methodology used to arrive at your result required you to use the wrong axis in your calculation. By longer, we mean the little shifter stub is longer, thus more outward from the bike, thereby allowing a more easily accessible shift lever when the shift lever to toe is close to the kickstand.

:beerchug:

No. If the rod is longer or the stock one opened more, the shift peg moves lower so the foot doesn't have to be raised as far.

I went to my hardware store and got a 6 mm coupler and threaded bar and joined them to the stock lever. It worked great.........AS LONG AS THE SIDESTAND WAS DOWN. With the sidestand up I couldn't get it into first gear, so I bought a length of black rubber hose and jammed it over the rubber peg instead.

Back