Response to Letter to American Suzuki

OB_grandvitesse

Registered
Received a call today from customer rep from Suzuki in So CA in response to my letter of last week. I only addressed the 2000 model cam chain tensioner problem, not the sub-frame.

Said that before calling me he did a query for requests for warranty service from dealers for damage/replacement work due to 2000 model tensioner failures and THERE HAS BEEN NONE.

(Of course, there may be the issue of dealers doing work for this problem but calling it something else.)

So, official word from Suzuki is that there's no problem as far as they're concerned. He said that as long as no modification has been done which would adversely affect function of tensioner AND the bike is not "raced," that owners of the Hayabusa should continue to ride their bikes WITHOUT FEAR OF ANY FAILURE.

I'm not convinced that I should ride without fear as I'm not certain he has all the facts.

I suggest that we get serious about documenting these failures, both tensioner and sub-frame, rather than just give up and go to the after market. Why should a manufacturer get away with shoddy engineering?

One thing we could do is to get up a list of instances, appropriately documented, and send it on to Suzuki with a copy to NHTSA by recording some information as, for example, below:

Who has had a failure? What Suzuki dealer was the bike taken to (name, address and phone)? What did the Suzuki dealer identify the problem as? What warranty work did he do or is doing? And on what date(s)?

That's my two cents, guys.

JohnnyCheese has been telling us all along that the first step it to take the bike to the dealer - That advice seems to follow Suzuki's feedback.

JohnnyCheese also said that he has had two 00' models in his shop with failed tensioners

Johnny - Do I have my facts straight??

Yeah, what are the FACTS? Someone HAS to be bullsh!tin!! Lofty Abuse sounded AWFUL upset to me. Hard not to believe him. Heck, he just got his bike back! What the heck's goin on? I hope there's not a bunch of copycatin goin on here.

Not going back into this again. Believe or don't believe me, I no longer care. Do a search in the archieves you will find the dates of my failures, a further search will give you my vin number. A Suzuki dealer can probably look it up from there.

dazee - did you have your bike at a dealership in the US? Is it possible that American Suzuki wouldn't be linked to the dealer network in Japan? Just a thought.

I had my tensioner replaced on my '99 at the beginning of July by the same dealer who replaced it last summer (previous owner). Like JC, I caught mine in the early stages and there does not appear to have been any damage done. The dealer had to get approval from Suzuki Canada to do the repair on a warranty basis even though my bike was out of warranty. Approval was given without any argument.

Obviously the tensioner

they were the recall ones
The first one was on start up needed new head etc....
On mine I was adjusting my valves and noticed a shinning spot call My tech guy and done replace under normal warranty not extended and I am on extended now.

I'm going to post a new topic polling all those who've had the problem asking them to answer with their facts.

I'll take any responses and draft a letter to Suzuki asking them to investigate and see what happens.

Hey grand, why don't you post your email so guys can send you vin #, etc.?

I have made earlier posts......just wanted to say that I have had problems with the '99 600 (tensioner). It has been a hassle to deal through Suzuki over that issue---I can tell you all that I will never want to go through it again. I am STILL without my bike as of today and I am livid. I have a website that is dedicated to the problem...please check it out.

http://www.rider-info.com

There are pics and information about what has happened and what still is happening.

There is a rattle on the y2k bikes.....It is more of a design flaw....but it STILL SHOULD NOT BE RATTLING! Suzuki has denied that there have been complaints about this----it frustrates me to know that this kind of thing is going on with the company that I bought my bike from.

Jonathan B. Moos
team_moos@hotmail.com
http://www.rider-info.com

Back