New Subframe from SUZUKI (NEW)

Think about it...They designed and built (and tested) the bike for use in stock form. Light weight was obviously a factor, so they selected the material and design they did.
Now some aftermarket companies come along and build saddlebags and trunks, and offer them for use on the Hayabusa...obviously without testing them.
And it's Suzuki's fault?
Then Suzuki, to make these Gold Wing wannabees happy, and let them add cargo carriers to a focused performance machine, duplicates the subframe in steel, and offers to sell it to these guys...for money. (gasp!)
As long as the bike works in stock form, and delivers the incredible performance it does, you can't complain. I still haven't seen any cases of subframe breakage around here (CA)...nor have I seen a Hayabusa with hard bags and a trunk!
If you modify the machine, it's not Suzuki's responsibility any longer. You and the manufacturer of the modification are responsible then, at least morally.

I saw a picture of one rig with a 3-piece (trunk and bags luggage system...not exactly the same application we see here in CA. the back half of the bike reminded me of a Gold Wing!
If Suzuki had been able to forsee and test every possible boat anchor combination anyone could hang on a Hayabusa, the bike would look more like a locomotive than a work of high-performance art. Also, I wonder if changing the exhaust system (and thus the bag mounting) and adding the bags adds even more stress to the subframe.
The bike has been out there for a couple of years...how many failures have we seen in the US? See ya----------->!

[This message has been edited by EDOH1 (edited 13 August 2000).]

Another opinion....I have used Givi Products for years, on a ZX-11 and on one of my Hayabusas. The simple reason Givi is recalling all of their hardware is because of at least two sub-frame failures over in Europe on Hayabusas that were running their luggage system. Suzuki has no response to the apparrent problem. So for Givi it is much easier to remove themselves from the loop of liability. Think about it...for all of the Hayabusas out there, only a small percentage will be using their luggage system. So they recall all product and wash their hands of the whole mess. As I said I have used their products for years, thousands of miles, I assure you all that if there is a problem with the sub-frame you are in much greater risk riding a passenger than using their luggage. The mounting points for the system uses the 4 bolt holes for the bungee hooks and is supported at the bottom by the pipe hangers. When loaded down with a weeks worth of gear my bags weigh at most 20 lbs. each. So three bags and hardware are well under 100 lbs. Think what you want but the luggage system is not the problem. So be aware.

RSTRICK

You are correct. The loading on the frame is less with luggage than with a pillion. The worst case is with both luggage and pillion but the frames broke with just luggage and rider.

Also

Why did the cast secton fail at the point with the greatest surfice area? I would have thought that if it was a loading issue it should have broken at the weekest point with the smallest area. ie - the point of the mounting bolt or the end of the tube with the drain hole in it.

You are right, of course, that I am not an expert on Euro Hayabusas, only seeing photos. But it sounds like you have not personally seen a frame breakage either...and it sounds like you are not using one of these bag systems; could there be a connection?
Two years of Hayabusa production...my point is that if the design were substantively incorrect, we would have seen failures some time ago, and on 'busas without bag systems. I don't know about you, but we have some really big people riding these things over here! :)

EDOH1:

What makes you such an expert on 'Busas in europe? maybe you can share with the board your expertese?

Here in the UK, I have NEVER seen a hayabusa with hard luggage.

Personally speaking, I like to do long distances occasionaly, with my Girlfriend on the back. Is it so unreasonable to be able to take some luggage??

If there's no problem, why have suzuki re-designed the subframe in steel?

Stop pandering to Suzuki. The Hayabusa is a masterpiece in many respects, but they have ****ed up in other areas.

I don't thing they should get away with shoddy bits of motorcycle design, just because the bike is good in other areas.

For anyone that may need it...I have a subframe off a '99 Busa with about 50 miles on it FOR SALE: $175 plus shipping.

Very bad news for Suzuki GB. I was one of the 2 owners whose 3 month old yr2000 Busa broke under them , snapped in half at at total weight of 320 kgs max weight is 420kgs at less than half the designed top speed.
I'm taking legal action against the company.
GIVI UK are acting in a professional and competant way. Charles Dennison and the rest of Suzuki's management team are very mistaken if they think that this customer is going anywhere except to litigation. The bike is back at the dealers and I'm on a ZX12R. If you think it's the design you are only half there . It's the design and the materials and as an aside in December 99 the same thing happened to another Busa and that frame had significanly less weld than mine. For afull picture email me.

Anything that does 200 mph+ can't afford to have a weakness like this ... especially when it's a couple of hundred dollars to fix. It's always gonna be there in the back of your mind when you're pushing the bike.

Nick... What's your email address. I have a couple of questions. What do you mean by "less weld than me". Where exactly did it break. Are you the blue we saw a picture of last week?

lrussel@newholland.com

I'm still wondering (or in denial?), the number of Busa's this has happened to is so low, possibly other reasons for this, like performing stoppies with rear coming down hard afterwards, or dynoruns with rear strapped down real tight via the passengerpeg/exhaust-hangers???
I'm not arguing here as I've looked at that rear subframe myself wondering about its design and strength long before all this started happening, but it's just that it hasn't happened enough for my statistical tastes to see it as a generic problem.
Maybe Nick can counter above 2 possible explanations?

Hey nick, your Bios and your subframe claim smell like stinkbait to me. Who do you work for "Big Red". Why do you come in here with an unsupported, undetailed, absolutely ludicrous story and no proof to back it up. How do we know you weren't subjecting your Busa to extraordinary conditions. How do we know you own a Busa at all.
Jay R Hammock

you are looking for a personal injury lawyer in Atlanta, Georgia and Macon, Georgia, that will actually take the time to know you and your case, The Sessions Law Firm may be the attorneys for you. Unlike many firms that handle personal injury cases, we do not simply "sign you up and send you a check". We are not looking to settle your case for a fraction of its true value.

Rolando D. Patterson

Back