Letter to American Suzuki re Cam Chain Tensioner

OB_grandvitesse

Registered
Here's the draft of the letter I've written to Suzuki. Their web site doesn't show any email address, only mailing.

I don't know how much good this will do, but the more owners who call or write, the greater the impact.

"July 25, 2000

American Suzuki
MC/ATV Customer Service
P.O. Box 1100
Brea, CA 92822

To Whom It May Concern:

I am an owner of a 2000 GSX1300R Hayabusa. Recently, I have had occasion to hear from other 2000 model year owners experiencing incidents of failure of the cam chain tensioner resulting in major engine damage.

I understand that these failures are occurring during normal riding situations. Conceivably, there may be a safety issue if there is sudden engine malfunction during such a failure.

I am very concerned about operating my own Hayabusa as, I suppose, this could happen to me at any time.

I am asking that you look into this, perhaps through your dealer network, and advise me if, in fact, there is a defect in the chain tensioner. If so, I would like to know what steps you will take to remedy the problem.

I would appreciate hearing from you as soon as possible. My VIN is …………….

Sincerely,"

Sounds good to me, you may want to mention that ity bity thing on the subframe as well.

Can'y you put the factory tensioner back on if you need to take the bike back for warranty work?

Sounds good, but I'm taking no chances. My manual tensioner from APE goes in Tuesday when I have a routine service scheduled.

I have absolutely no faith in Suzuki doing anything in a timely manner, and I don't want to have my bike laid up for months while they stew around.

I do have the extended warranty, but if the engine fragged I don't think it would ever be the same.

With 18000 miles, I think I've pushed my luck far enough.

I'm just not yet willing to take any chances with voiding my warranty by replacing the tensioner and still have something go wrong. Nor am I convinced yet that my tensioner is destined to fail.

I want something definitive/official from Suzuki telling me it's OK to continue riding or not. And I want it right a way.

Back