CAM chain tensioner update

G

Well some of you may recall that I had a failure on my busa last August relating to the cam chain tensioner. The failure meant a new head, 2 new pistons and 8 new valves etc. Later alot of us got the recall notice and in November I had the tensioner replaced at that time.

A couple of weeks ago I had a slight rattle occur in the engine when cold, but disappeared on when the engine warmed up. I took the bike to my dealer to get it checked. The cam chain tensioner had not yet failed but lacked sufficient power to keep the chain tight. I thought I had escaped and would just have the tensioner replaced, but no the damage is already done. Bike is currently back in the Suzuki factory for another rebuild.

My bike has been used all year round and so has clocked up alot of miles. Perhaps I am just unlucky having 2 failures, but as you begin to bring your bikes out of winter hibernation and start racking up the miles, get any new rattles/noises checked out by your dealer. Better safe than sorry, at least my failures have not resulted in an engine failure at speed.

I have over 17,000 miles on it now. I slowed the pace down a bit on the winter months just using it to commute and for weekend fun. Hopefully it won't take too long to get it back and I can enjoy the warmer weather and longer days.

Forgot to mention that all services were performed on time, not a single one missed. I've been through 2 chains and 11 tyres in the past year and loved every minute on this bike. The 2 failures I have had have been the only downside in all this time. Both times Suzuki has provided excellent service and response to the problems.

Now I have all this idle time, a full set of OEM panels in my apartment and my mind is chanting "paint scheme, wacky paint scheme . . . ." :)

[This message has been edited by dazee (edited 10 April 2000).]

Darren the billet manual adjusters are the SURE CURE, they require a periodic attention sort of like changing oil and such.

I dont believe Jay was being wise a** only trying to help you.

Dazee you have mail!

Whoa! More paranoia! My engine gumbles with the clutch engaed in nutral at idle...I thought that was normal...is it gonna blow!?

Didn't think anyone was being a wise a**, similarly I am not trying to cause hysteria over the tensioners again. Just passing on info of my personal experience. I cannot really afford to invalidate my warrenty, remember here I have to pay over $300 per tyre etc. Running a big bike here is expensive, even as stock. Just hope no-one in the workshop damages those A-Tech panels !

DaZee it was a only a joke, your being better take the bike to the shop naked.

A billet tensioner is a better part that is all.

Dazee , I just took mine in this morning cause I heard the "rattling" sound you are talking about ( see posting elsewhere on board ) . I`m seriously worried now , since it`s been a while that I hear the sound , only took in in now. You said you had damage already , what kind of damage ??

Not sure how exactly the damage gets done if the tensioner just looses strength instead of a complete failure, perhaps someone with some engineering knowledge could clarify for us ? They just told me that the damage was not extensive as previously, but still required a new head and some piston, valve damage was also done. I was shocked, at most I expected to leave the bike for just a couple of days until a new tensioner was delivered.

Kawabuser, you have mail.

Because with my factory tensioner all work is carried out under warrenty by Suzuki, I don't pay a single cent for it. If you are so certain that another type of tensioner will not fail then use one. But if it does fail be prepared to foot the bill yourself. Personally I'd rather not pay for new cylinder heads, pistons, valves, labour etc

Just thought I`d let you guys in on this , the tensioner on mine ( recall tensioner ) almost competely failed , you can actually compress the damn thing with your hands ! I still do not know how damage could have been caused if the chain did not jump on the sprocket. I mean if there were valve train damage or piston damage of some sort you would have been able to hear and feel it by the sound and power of the engine , and mine sounds just fine ( apart from the chain noises ) , it pulls like a train.Dazee was advised that damage occured , how the hell is that possible ??

Glad your bike did not suffer any other damage. I sure wish I knew how the damage occured to mine ! For the sceptics out there that may think my dealer is pulling a fast one, this is not costing me anything for the repairs, the engine was inspected by Suzuki technicians sent out from the factory and it was their call for the bike to be sent back to the factory for the repair work to be done there instead of at the dealership. Still it's not all bad news, my new 200 pilot sport tyre arrived today :)

...hey, having a buch of Suzuki Factory guys crawling around your bike can't be bad! I wonder how many of us have damaged our mills and don't even know!? (PARANOIA STRIKES DEEP INTO THE HEART OF MAN...)

For Jay-

I checked out your website for the tensioners but I have some questions. How do we determine how to properly tension the cam chain? Roughly how often does the tensioner need to be adjusted? The product looks good but my bike is running fine and ran fine with the old tensioner despite some hard running. I'm wondering if Dazee may have some other problem that is causing the cam chain tensioner problems. Thanks for any info!

We never made the billet tensioners to be a replacement for a faulty factory part. It just turned out that way.
Our tensioners were made because virtually all of the factory automatic tensioners back out momentarily when the throttle is closed at high rpm. This puts a lot of slack in the chain allowing the cam to go out of time briefly which can cause a bundle of problems. Then the tensioner pops back in and slams the chain tight. It doesn't take much of an imagination to see what this is doing to the valve train.

When the 'busa came out, its tensioner "problem" became apparent very soon. Some of the leading shops discovered that our tensioner for the GSXR750t would fit the 'busa and took care of the problem. We have since made a version with a shorter bolt strickly for the 'busa, and can hardly keep them on the shelf ( we are out right now ).

Back