POLL; Failed Cam Chain Tensioner U.S. 2000 Model Year

OB_grandvitesse

Registered
The official word from American Suzuki is that there’s no record of any warranty work done by their U.S. dealer network in connection with failed stock cam chain tensioners for the 2000 year model.

They’re saying that owners of the Hayabusa should continue to ride and should have no fear of any impending failure of the stock tensioner.

I would like to be able to document any such instances of post-recall failures on U.S. bikes as I’m still on the fence as to whether or not there really is a problem. If there is, what's the extent and is it enough to tip the balance to go to the after market manual tensioner.

I realize that this has been hashed out ad nauseum with some postings describing problems with the 2000 model and by now it’s getting tiresome. But, this is an opportunity to factually determine the extent of the problem (if there is one), at least insofar as this board is concerned, and whether or not the rest of us have anything to worry about.

I hope that anyone who has the 2000 model and has had the problem will take the time to respond. I will forward any responses to American Suzuki with a copy to NHTSA and I will point out the safety issues and the necessity for taking immediate remedial action.

If you’ve had the problem, please post your answers to the below questions. If you have additional information you want to add, don’t hesitate. If you want to email me instead of posting on the board, my address is: rhsiegel@goldrush.com

If you think this is an exercise in futility, you can say that, too.

Your VIN ______________

American Suzuki Dealer Name, Address and Telephone/Name of Contact ______________

Dealer Diagnosis of Problem/Cause ______

Warranty Work Completed/Parts/Damage Repaired _______________________________

Date(s) Warranty Work Done _____________

Additional Information _________________

I think this is an exercise in futility, because those few of you who have had failures most likely abuse the living motherphucking SHITE outta your engines.

Mine did not fail. I guess I never gave it the chance. Manual is in now. I was hearing some noises, but I don't know if this was the tensioner.

This poll that is in this thread doesn't prove anything even if people did respond. Many people are not able to give the vital information that you request because they are going through litigation.....(during litigation, you may be required at times not to say anything about the exact details of the incident).

Your online poll will not work. However, complaining to Suzuki will. If it wasn't an issue that affected many riders..no one would talk about it. People are talking about it for a reason---don't you think that they would rather be riding their bikes than posting messages on a messageboard?

I have heard of more failures with the '99 models of the gsx-r 600, 750, and the hayabusa. The more apparent reason for the concern this year is that rattle noise that a lot have reported.....THE BIKE SHOULD NOT RATTLE...Suzuki knows this but has done nothing about it. I have had friends who have called Suzuki and asked if there had been any complaints with the 2000 models (tensioners). They replied "no." He then proceeded to make a complaint about that issue.

So........a few days later.....he called back--under a different name........and asked if there had been any complaints/problems with the tensioners for the 2000 models. They once again replied "no." WHAT IS GOING ON HERE SUZUKI? You would expect that type of treatment from dealerships--not from the copmpany that makes your motorcycle. THEY FLAT OUT LIED!

Through networking with others about this issue (and others) over the net....I have the answer to the problem of the 2000 tensioners. The rattling noise is the sound of the tensioner caught in between adjustment settings. The tensioner then rattles it back into the correct adjustment. That is the rattling noise. THE RATTLING NOISE SHOULD NOT BE THERE. It is a design flaw in the tensioner that needs to be addressed. Some people will hear it more on---others will hear it less (or not even hear it at all). It depends on how the rider rides the bike.

An example (rider A) would be a rider that never redlines through the gears--never downshifts (with high rpms).

(Rider B) would be the exact opposite. One who redlines, downshifts to control speed, etc.

It is in those different situations that a rider (will/will not) experience that rattle that everyone is hearing.

Suzuki has has faults with their tensioners from '96-'00. The only recall that was made was the one in '99. You can look on my website to see the differences (there are pics there) http://www.rider-info.com

Suzuki customer service SUCKS. It ois the dealerships that have saved Suzuki's from becoming a target of frustration. Suzuki does not treat their customers well when it comes to warranting work, recall work, etc.

It seems that Suzuki spends most of their time trying to get people to buy their bike. Once they have sold their bike--Suzuki's part is done......that's how they have been treating their customers.

I must be honest with all of you.....I like the bike a lot (I have a '99 600)...that's why I bought it in the first place....I was not prepared to go through what I have had to go through with them. Suzuki has taken their tome in dealing with me.....they have tried to wait me out so that I would not pursue a claim against them.......and today I am still without a working bike. My party has sent them a letter July 10, 2000 and I have not heard back from them yet. They have really put a bad taste in my mouth.

I have been so frustrated with them that I will buy another brand when it comes to buy another new bike. I would hope that none of you have to go through what I have had to.

I just want everyone to know about it so that they may be able to avoid the misfortune that I and others have experienced. Please take the time to look at my website..it has plenty of information.

I also held a protest at Laguna Seca at the races in July of this year (maybe some of you saw me there). If anyone has other information.....please email it to me.

Jonathan B. Moos
team_moos@hotmail.com
http://www.rider-info.com

You people are going to think that I work for Suzuki.I am sick of hearing how bad Suzuki is.Hell if anyone from there reads this s**t they probably laugh.Some of you are scareing them of out business.I thought I was above this.Get a life, buy a different brand if Suzuki is so bad.The only problems that I hear about Suzuki is from you rocket scientist on this board.

Tell us then, friend Thradar, why did you do mods to your bike? I guess so you can ride it like a pusswipe?

Why don't you change your handle to Mr. Negativity? You've earned it.

Can we get an understanding of what your definition of abuse is?

Should we assume that the bike was built for speed, but was not built for racing??

Please, tell us, what exactly would be considered abuse of an engine?

Beyond the usually running them into the ground without ever changing the oil, etc. type of abuses.

Inquiring riders want to know.

'lantabusa: I haven't done any mods, pull it out. So what you're telling me is that a stock Busa is for pussies only? I feel no need to do mods at this point. And the only reason I'm negative is because I have to deal with intellectual giants like you every day.

Thradar, My 2000 tensioner failed two sundays ago. Im not sure what you mean by " abuse the shite" out of them. If you mean that I race the bike, yes I do. I wouldn't call that abuse though. I pamper that bike like a child. It currently has 3084 miles on it. I have changed the oil and filter 7 times since I got it, with 0 miles on it.
4 times within the first 1000 miles alone. I have used Motul 300V synthetic since 1800 miles. Some would say thats too soon. I disagree. By 1800 miles I had pegged the rev limiter in 6th gear a few times already and put the bike under some pretty decent load. Whatever was going to break in, was done by then.
As a testament to how I've babied the bike, a leakdown test done at Blais cycle yesterday showed 1% 2% 1% 2%. That motor has not been abused. The simple fact is that Suzuki has tensioner problems and that they are reluctant to admit it publicly.
Does that mean Suzuki sucks, c'mon, hardly.
In my modest opinion, the Busa is the meanest, coolest, best looking, awe inspiring motorcycle on the planet. Also, Suzuki has managed to build a superbike that gives away 200-250 cc's to the competion and still manages to smack them around on the track. That is a monumental achievment.

Suzuki does not suck, their automatic tensioner does.

Alot of Folks don't change the Bike -- they LOVE what SUZUKI Created :)....some Ride the Caca out of their Bikes Day 1......some don't. The Laws of Physical Science reveal that Force Begets Wear....quickly or over a Long period of time all things will WEAR down. The Advantage Here is that the Knowledge we share is REAL. Suzuki for now does not Have Enough Failures HERE or Overseas to Prompt a recall so the Probability of Failure for Various Machines is There Always......nothing considered Statistically Significant. The Harley Crowd Changes Everything On their Bikes & the DEALERs Love them for those Parts & Accessories, me I Kept My Wide Glide Stock.
So what Shoot me.
Gotta Love America Man!
Horse ;)

This **** is really getting old. Gys, either do the Motorhead trick or by a manual Tensioner, or just ride the heck out of it and shut up. For all you people having the petty little problems with dealers, manufacturers, setup problems,and so forth, just listen to the gys on this board and fix it accordingly. A tensioner problem is really not a problem. Some are making a railroad tie out of a match stick. BTW, those of you not satisfied with Zuki, there is always the "Big Red" Illusion waiting for you.
Jay R Hammock

BTW, have had alot of experience dealing with warranties with 3 of the big 4, not Zuke tho, and they all deny they have problems. Once had 5 YFB-250 Yamaha four wheelers n the shop all with burnt std. bore pistons.I called Yamaha tech and asked them if they had a problem with this unit in particular and they flatly denied anything was going on. Honda denied they had a problem with the oil pump pickups in pre-98 CBR 900's but funny in 98 they totally redesigned the pockup assembly. Go figure. Oh, and BTW, I might be pretending to be a so-called Bike tech according to Jamie. Don't go figure.
Jay R Hammock

see what did i tell you!!! Ok now we have one response!Lofty I'm real sorry your bikes F*ucked up really, but where's the big long list of all these others, whose tensioners blew like yours? Where are they, Where are you all come forward be heard!!!!!!WHERE ARE YOU ALL? one or two busted tensioners doesn't mean to suzuki or all the rest of us Busas owners that there's a major problem, it just that simple!It a shame what happened to Lofty, I wouldn't want it to happen to anyone, but it's just one of those unfortunate things that happens from time to time.Don't try to make a mountain out of molehill!

So far ONLY 1 report of failed 2000 tensioner.

Probable cause: Changed oil and filter excessively, seven times in first 3000 miles.

JUST KIDDING

[This message has been edited by grandvitesse (edited 08 August 2000).]

What have I said before? Many people are unable to give the specifics that he is asking because their lawyers have instructed them not to do so. This post proves nothing...except for the fact that the guy who made it works for Suzuki.

People will not give exact details to someone that they do not know. What...You give that kind of information out to everyone?...hahaha yeah right.

The litigation process is a lot slower than realtime. It may be decided that Suzuki was at fault....(that will be about three years later----after the fact). Would you rather find out about this stuff now...or three years later...after you have either died or experienced probs with your bike. Don't be naive and assume that just because no one answered his poll (with exact details) that nothing happened.

Wake up.....smell the coffee. All of you who have been negative to this whole issue....you have never had to deal with any problems from Suzuki. If you had.....your persective would be a lot better. Don't wait until you have problems with Suzuki to smell the coffee.

I am still without my bike because Suzuki has not been cooperative. It has been over a year. Please understand my frustration.

Jonathan B. Moos
team_moos@hotmail.com
http://www.rider-info.com

Back