New Subframe from SUZUKI (NEW)

OB_Gary Evans

Registered
Were the sub-frame failures the magnitude of Firestones tire problem with many deaths involved it would likely already have government attention. I have only heard of 2-3 failures due,it seems,to the use of additional luggage. The Suzuki manual does allow luggage if it does not alter the frame and stays within the overall allowable weight so technically its allowed. Problem is currently too small for NSTB to worry about as the failure rate is very low percentage wise with no injuries to date. It is very disappointing that Suzuki would acknowledge the problem by designing a steel sub-frame and then plan to charge for it but, the story isn't over yet.

Gary,

It doesn't take 46 deaths and numerous more accidents to get NHTSA's attention. If serious enough, only ONE reported failure is enough to trigger a NHTSA inquiry - called a Preliminary Evaluation. If nothing is found, that's the end of it. If NHTSA finds reason to investigate further (i.e., no satisfactory answers), the P.E. is elevated to an Engineering Analysis.

The Firestone case is an extreme example. In other cases, NHTSA has opened PE's based on one report of an engine fire or brake failure in cars with zero injury. It is the POTENTIAL for serious injury or death that can be the triggering factor. NHTSA wisely realizes that it should not wait for even one death or serious injury to start an inquiry of potentially life-threatening defects. I certainly would not want to be that one death or serious injury!! Sub-frame failure on any motorcycle is certainly the type of issue to catch NHTSA's attention. BTW - their database shows ZERO complaints.

Finally, as a point of clarification, NHTSA and the NTSB are two different entities. NHTSA's charter is limited to motor vehicles operated on the public road (e.g., trucks, cars, motorcycles). NTSB covers everything - they also tend to be more reactive to disaster than NHTSA, which is more interested in prevention.

I agree - this is certainly not the end of the story ...

jcchen, you know your sh_t man!

I called Suzuki Canada (I live in Toronto), and spoke with Rob Singer in customer service. This is the same idiot that I spoke with last month when this story first surfaced. This guy is one arogant jerk, I can't imagine how he could end up in customer service ! He told me the same canned BS as last month. I asked for the # for Suzuki US customer service (714-572-1490). I called that number and spoke with Brad, he was abit more pleasant than Rob (that does not mean much!). I asked about the subframe story and the answer was that the failures are a result of the Givi luggage system, and as a result Givi has withdrawn those systems. I went on to exlain that a rear passenger would put more stress on the rear frame than the luggage. Brad explained it was more to do with the mounting of the luggage than the weight of the luggage. I mentioned that on Givi's page part # 41200-24F00-XXX was listed as a replacement subframe. He did a search for that part number and could not find any info on the at part number, he did take down Givi's web page address and said he will look into it.I also asked about the cam chain tensioner issue. The response to that is that the 2000 failures he has heard about have been a result of people trying to manually adjust the auto tensioner. I don't buy that BS, I suspect another recall is eminent. A good freind of mine that has a Vmax bought a Busa this summer as a second bike (like myself). A couple of weeks ago his tensioner let go and caused the engine to seize. The bike is now in for a total engine rebuild (under warranty thank g-d). If I keep my Busa I will with out a doubt buy and extended warranty.

This whole story is very disapointing.

GIVI withdrew the systems from the Hayabusa for safety reasons. Bikes without luggage fitted have broken! Please call Suzuki USA and ask them if the luggage telepathically caused the fault?

Seriously though, I do have some concern about this problem. But I can't complain to Suzuki, NHTSA or NTSB unless I actually have a problem. I have concerns about technically flawed components on quit a few vehicles but without the people who've actually had the problems contacting them first, my complaints, concerns and issues are pretty meaningless. I'm going to ride as I have been riding. Damn the tensioner, the sub-frame, etc. I have the extended warrenty for just that reason. If I bite the bullet, then it's my time. My wife is aware of the problems and knows to persue matters legally if needed. I'm comfortable with that, but that's me.

vmax1500 - That Mr. Singer at Suzuki-Canada probably has a restriction on his response to your questions. They might as well have the calls flow to a recorded message because that's all you'll probably get from anyone there. Now Suzuki-America not knowing about the part #, that's classic bureaucratic B.S. or S.O.B. (Standard Operational Bull)

VMAX, are the v-max's reliable ? I am thinking of getting one. Let me know how long you or your friends have had the vmax and if you have had any problems. Thanks,

Frank

So Suzuki are going to charge us £143.63p for wishing to have a design fault corrected?

There must be a lawyer reading this - this is a bloody insult.

I went to the NHTSA web site back when all this first broke, excuse the pun. Of course they want detailed information on my specific vehicle. I filled out the form as genericly as I possibly could, but referred them to the article about the broken subframe on the web and gave all my info including my home telephone # and address. That's been 3 or 4 weeks, and no one has contacted me to even acknowledge my e-mail.

Joker, I work for a very large corp. so I know all about political/bureaucratic BS. Rob Singer goes one step further, he's arogant. As in, I don't know anything about motorcycles and I shouldn't believe everything I read on the internet. If you want a good laugh, give him a call and see for yourselves :)

fshaia, The Vmaxs are bullet proof bikes. That's only way a model can endure 16 years without any changes. I know several people with 100000+ miles on stock original engines.

If you want info on the Max check out this site, it's the bible for the Max !
http://www.vmax.to/

You can have a look at my Maxs(2) on my site,
http://www.only.at/andreswebpage

LATEST UPDATE
NEW SUB-FRAME – It has come to our attention that SUZUKI
are to make a steel replacement sub-frame available to
HAYABUSA owners following structural failures of a number
of bikes.

Any customer wishing to order the new part should contact a
SUZUKI dealer quoting part number 41200-24F00-XXX.

SUZUKI will be making a charge to customers wishing to fit
this new component.
The cost is to be £143.65 (excluding localtax in the UK).

Should we be happy that it wasn't the main frame .....

Have Suzuki etc. really understood power of the WWW in general
and Hayabusa.org in particular.

In the future I will be thinking twice before I by another Suzuki
product.

Ove

The solution here guys is to park the bike somewhere private, put it on a race stand, sit naked on the pilion, get a BIG naked woman to sit on your lap and hump until the subframe breaks. Voila you have a warranty claim. New subframe at no charge and you have fun getting it.

Lady Busa owners just reverse the sexes.

[This message has been edited by Lyle (edited 11 August 2000).]

Suzuki's action is exactly why anyone in the U.S. that has had subframe failure should contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration hotline or website (www.nhtsa.dot.gov) to register a complaint. On the form on the NHTSA website, there is room to not only post a description of the problem, but to inform NHTSA of Suzuki's "service campaign" as well. IF there is indeed a problem with the subframe (that's "IF"), then a complaint to NHTSA may get the ball rolling for the government to look into this. A "secret" recall in the form of a service campaign could be further evidence of corporate wrong-doing that would interest the government (notice I said "COULD BE" - not slamming Suzuki).

Do you think Bridgestone/Firestone would have recalled millions of their best-selling SUV tires two days ago if it weren't for the pressure from the investigation by the Feds? It's good to know that the Feds can and will make companies live up to their responsibilities to produce products that are not inherently defective OR DANGEROUS. Make your government work FOR you. NHTSA won't bankrupt Suzuki or sue the pants off them - NHTSA will just make sure that Suzuki lives up to its corporate responsibilities to YOU the consumer.

Yes, I am a lawyer - but I don't do personal injury stuff. I'm a regulatory attorney that represents automobile and automotive equipment manufacturers in matters before NHTSA and other federal agencies. I also happen to love motorcycles.

Bulldawg - if you really did have a problem with the subframe on your bike and are serious about raising this with NHTSA, let me know. I know the name of the engineer in charge of bike safety issues at NHTSA (he's a rider himself) and he'd jump on this in a heartbeat. I can help you get in touch with him. But again, it would have to be a problem you experienced yourself - not just some magazine article or hearsay.

Back