Reputable knife retailers with good prices?

BulletTrain

Call me Daddy...
Donating Member
Registered
I'm lookin' to buy a certain KaBar knife but I've never really bought many knives online from dealers. I don't know who's legit and who's a rip off. Anybody do regular business with any reputable knife sellers online that have good prices? I bid on one on ebay tonight from a seller with 11,000+ feedback hits and a 99.5% rating. If I don't get outbid hopefully I won't fall into the .5% category with 'em.
wink.gif
Just want to have some options lined up in case I get outbid at the last minute like I usually do on ebay.
laugh.gif

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1133676120 -->

FLKnifemaker on the board. How are the new rides doin'? Any mods on the Dodge?

what about are local board member who manufactures and deals
rock.gif
FL Knifemaker or thasherfox would have an idea he is into knifes

FLKnifemaker on the board. How are the new rides doin'? Any mods on the Dodge?
I didn't know FL was a dealer. I figured he just made knives. I thought he might respond to this thread, but it never even crossed my mind that he was a dealer.

Both rides are doin' good. Weather isn't allowing for much two wheel rollin'. It's either cold or rainy when I'm off lately. I'm goin' NUTZ not bein' able to ride anymore than I have.
drooling3.gif
And no mods to the Dodge yet. Got a few more things I want to do to Loca first. Got a couple of goodies in the works for her now.
wink.gif

find one of his posts and click the link at the bottom.. he's got some killer lookin' knives... if ya like that kinda thing.. i'm nto much into em' personally.. but they look sweet.

find one of his posts and click the link at the bottom.. he's got some killer lookin' knives... if ya like that kinda thing.. i'm nto much into em' personally.. but they look sweet.
I'm looking for a particular KaBar knife. Nothing custom or exotic, just a tactical LE knife I'm interested in. I'm more into the tactical stuff than the custom stuff.

I'm looking for a particular KaBar knife. Nothing custom or exotic, just a tactical LE knife I'm interested in. I'm more into the tactical stuff than the custom stuff.
Chris, pm me with what you're looking for..I know some people
smile.gif

But WOW! His knives are works of ART! I absolutely LOVE the CURR model folder!
eek2.gif
Might have to get one of those for my collection! I couldn't bring myself to tote it and mess it up, or worse... LOSE it.
drooling3.gif
That's fine cutlery at it's best!
super.gif

BT, send PM with what you are looking for... I have a guy
wink.gif
he may be able to hook you up. Let me know.

Go Benchmade BT, you wont be sorry.I've got a tanto tactical automatic by them,wouldnt carry anything else.NJ.

BT....if you truely are more into Kbar/Tactical type knives?...as a former old school U.S. Marine I can atest to the ruggedness of a true Kbar...outside of his rifle?...it's a marines best friend. However...times have changed....and so has my thinking and experience with knives...and now I'm gonna share those thoughts and that experience with you here....

First off...by stating you are looking at a Kbar style knife tells me that you're not looking for a folder/pocket but a "Fixed Blade & Sheath" sort of knife...and I'm hoping that's true as I proceed here.

2ndly...even as a 20+ year tool & die man?...I've come to hate stainless steel as a blade material and by far prefer high carbon steel blades for the following reasons...

1. They seem to sharpen and take an edge far quicker and easier than does any of the stainless blade materials. Dull knives blow and while brand new,factory fresh, ground stainless blades are typically supplied sharp as heck?...I doubt anyone would ever be able to replicate that same level of sharpness by hand, with an oil stone...ain't gonna happen...as the SS seems to prefer to roll rather than come to a crisp, sharp, defined edge. BTW.....this is why a real, original, Kbars blade is NOT made of SS.

2. True SS won't spark a piece of flint...and this is a biggy for me when it comes to a Tactical/Survival knife as I carry a firestarter in my go rig...(a small block of magnesium with a round rod of flint)...you simply take your knife blade and shave off some magnesium chips off the block into the beginnings of your campfire then stike the flint side with your high carbon steel blade and viola...the sparks ignite the magnisium chips and the chips ignite your campfire..even in pooring down rain...with wet twigs...provide you shave off enough chips.....but if your blade is made of SS?...you're S.O.L. as it won't spark the flint...but a carbon steel blade will.

Recently...One of the best (which btw is also one of the cheapest) tactical/survival knives I own is a "Glock Field Knife"....molded on polymer handle...molded polymer sheath with a rather unique retention system w/ a quick loop feature that allows you to put it on or take it off without removing your belt...teflon coated high carbon steel blade smooth on the cutting side with a sawtooth (bonesaw) blade topside...I got mine on special at a local gun show about 8 years ago...I think they run about $39.95 retail these days...and while my marine corps. heart doesn't wanna say this?...I'd take it over a Kbar...shhussssh.....did I say that out loud?
laugh.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

BT....if you truely are more into Kbar/Tactical type knives?...as a former old school U.S. Marine I can atest to the ruggedness of a true Kbar...outside of his rifle?...it's a marines best friend. However...times have changed....and so has my thinking and experience with knives...and now I'm gonna share those thoughts and that experience with you here....

First off...by stating you are looking at a Kbar style knife tells me that you're not looking for a folder/pocket but a "Fixed Blade & Sheath" sort of knife...and I'm hoping that's true as I proceed here.

2ndly...even as a 20+ year tool & die man?...I've come to hate stainless steel as a blade material and by far prefer high carbon steel blades for the following reasons...

1. They seem to sharpen and take an edge far quicker and easier than does any of the stainless blade materials. Dull knives blow and while brand new,factory fresh, ground stainless blades are typically supplied sharp as heck?...I doubt anyone would ever be able to replicate that same level of sharpness by hand, with an oil stone...ain't gonna happen...as the SS seems to prefer to roll rather than come to a crisp, sharp, defined edge. BTW.....this is why a real, original, Kbars blade is NOT made of SS.

2. True SS won't spark a piece of flint...and this is a biggy for me when it comes to a Tactical/Survival knife as I carry a firestarter in my go rig...(a small block of magnesium with a round rod of flint)...you simply take your knife blade and shave off some magnesium chips off the block into the beginnings of your campfire then stike the flint side with your high carbon steel blade and viola...the sparks ignite the magnisium chips and the chips ignite your campfire..even in pooring down rain...with wet twigs...provide you shave off enough chips.....but if your blade is made of SS?...you're S.O.L. as it won't spark the flint...but a carbon steel blade will.

Recently...One of the best (which btw is also one of the cheapest) tactical/survival knives I own is a "Glock Field Knife"....molded on polymer handle...molded polymer sheath with a rather unique retention system w/ a quick loop feature that allows you to put it on or take it off without removing your belt...teflon coated high carbon steel blade smooth on the cutting side with a sawtooth (bonesaw) blade topside...I got mine on special at a local gun show about 8 years ago...I think they run about $39.95 retail these days...and while my marine corps. heart doesn't wanna say this?...I'd take it over a Kbar...shhussssh.....did I say that out loud?
laugh.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif
You're right, it's a fixed blade I'm lookin' at. It's sort of a special purpose/design knife as well. It was designed by John Benner (owner of Tactical Defense Institute) and it's designed to conceal in it's sheath behind an officer's duty belt and magazine pouch. The sheath fits onto the under (inner) belt and the handle hides behind the magazine pouch. It's intended as a last resort against attempts to take an officer's weapon from him.

You have some excellent points about blade materials. The only reason I'm lookin' at Kabar is the fact that they're the only one I know of that is making this knife right now. The knife I'm lookin' to get is the KaBar TDI Law Enforcement Knife. Here's a pic... but I want the serrated version. And thanks for the great reply as well! Good info and something to think about when buying other knives.
beerchug.gif

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1133728839 -->

KA_1480.jpg

I buy my knives from AG Russell - have done for many years. They've been in business over 40 years. Happy with their selection, delivery etc. They have all the Ka-Bar knife variations, as well as folders, pocket knives, customs/hand-mades etc.

Here's a link to their fixed blades: Fixed/Straight blades

I buy my knives from AG Russell - have done for many years. They've been in business over 40 years. Happy with their selection, delivery etc. They have all the Ka-Bar knife variations, as well as folders, pocket knives, customs/hand-mades etc.

I think they also have a 100% rating on ebay with tens of thousands of transactions. Almost nheard of with that many transactions! I figured I'd probably get it from them if the other auction falls through and nobody else came through with a hook-up.
wink.gif

I think they also have a 100% rating on ebay with tens of thousands of transactions. Almost nheard of with that many transactions! I figured I'd probably get it from them if the other auction falls through and nobody else came through with a hook-up.
wink.gif
Ok, maybe I was mistaken. I don't find them on ebay now. Their website and policies look to be top notch though.
wink.gif

wink.gif

I did a search on their site using "law enforcement" and it pops up all kinds of stuff:

Law Enforcement

That TDI knife looks like a good design, something that you're not going to drop/have slip out of your hand easily.

I have a couple of the Bear Claws, they're another knife that you can get a very secure grip on and have a small sheath that can be clipped on to clothing or attached to a lanyard etc.

Back