Question about Ebay

Dakkine2

Donating Member
Registered
I bidded on an item last night. My bid met the reserve price. This morning I get an email from the seller as follows. It was sent from the seller through Ebay.

"I'm the seller of the item that you've recently bided through the eBay system.Item name: ---------------Item number: (1300909XXXXXXX) I`ve just been contacted by the eBay staff who informed me that due to some reasons the eBay policy automatically proclaims you to be the winner by default. I need your agreement on this so I can contact eBay to confirm you that you're the winner, otherwise I'll relist the item. I am sorry for the inconvenience, but I need an answer asap. You will have the oportunity to purchase the item at your last given price wich is US $XXX.00 .If you agree my offer please respond this email or contact me at XXXXXXX.XXXXXX@gmail.com . Thank you! "[/Quote]

Has anyone ever seen or heard of this? It almost sounds like a phising scam. Sounds a little weird. Any input would be appreciated. Jeff

sounds like a scam. post up the link to it. or contact ebay yourself,
only a buy it now will do that or the auction ended. not something ebay would do.

Sounds a bit fishy.
rock.gif

Ebay is a very good service and I have not had 1 bad experience myself. Always check the seller's feedback before buying and ALWAYS!!!! pay with Paypal. It is your only link to ensure you receive either the product you bought, or your money back.

Sounds very fishy, I have never received an email like that. I have bought and sold thousands of items on Ebay myself. Contact ebay, Forwrd the entire email to spoof@ebay.com and see what comes back. You get an almost instant response.

The sellers feedback is great. The thing is, I didn't recieve a message through Ebay. I came directly to my email. I just sent a message through Ebay to the seller to see if infact it was them.

Link to auction

(extreemachine @ Mar. 21 2007,06:56) Sounds very fishy, I have never received an email like that. I have bought and sold thousands of items on Ebay myself. Contact ebay, Forwrd the entire email to spoof@ebay.com and see what comes back. You get an almost instant response.
+1 on forwarding the email to them!!!

(extreemachine @ Mar. 21 2007,11:56) Sounds very fishy, I have never received an email like that. I have bought and sold thousands of items on Ebay myself. Contact ebay, Forwrd the entire email to spoof@ebay.com and see what comes back. You get an almost instant response.
+100

if you get the message in you MY EBAY page, it probably legit. if it comes in your email, its scam and fake.

i got 1 of those one time, that i had actaully won the auction on.

some of those little fuggers across the pond are fast about sending those out to get your CC number.

Awesome deck by the way. By far the best unit Alpine has made next to the CDA9835. I had both and I also had the IVAD901 which has zero features in comparison.

Hope you win, you will not be dissatisfied

Funny story about Alpine. They used to have their distribution center in Indianapolis and a former classmate of mine was their North American Sales Manager. I was going to get together with him for lunch one day and upon showing up at his office, I was offered a tour of the place. Did I mention that I was a huge fan of Alpine? Coming from an Engineer family and being the only Marketing guy in my heritage, I knew that Engineers were by and large, no nonsense kind of people and especially those from Japan. So when introduced to their head of Engineering who was over on an extended visit from Japan, I just had to ask "What makes Alpine so much better then Sony and Pioneer car stereos?" His reply was simply "Sales and Marketing." Thinking he didn't understand my question, I asked again. His reply was once again "Sales and Marketing, all same on inside. We all buy same stuff from same vendors in Japan. All same!"

When my buddy and me got in my car to go to lunch, I switched off my Alpine unit and my buddy laughed and said "I trust you won't be sharing what you heard in there." We both laughed and had a great lunch!

(buss05 @ Mar. 21 2007,12:06) Awesome deck by the way. By far the best unit Alpine has made next to the CDA9835. I had both and I also had the IVAD901 which has zero features in comparison.

Actually, I've already owned this unit once before but ended up selling with my old truck. In looking at what's offered now, this unit probably offers more than most of the new units.

(Shanling @ Mar. 21 2007,11:58)
(extreemachine @ Mar. 21 2007,06:56) Sounds very fishy, I have never received an email like that. I have bought and sold thousands of items on Ebay myself. Contact ebay, Forwrd the entire email to spoof@ebay.com and see what comes back. You get an almost instant response.
+1 on forwarding the email to them!!!
Got a response back from ebay. It was a phishing scam. I can usually pick these up right away. This one was good. Make sure you pay attention people. Thanks for the responses.

the secrets out now!!!

I would definetly contact e-Bay that is sketchy. Any dealings with a merchant out side of e-Bay will not be covered so be careful.

(Dakkine2 @ Mar. 21 2007,10:11)
(buss05 @ Mar. 21 2007,12:06) Awesome deck by the way. By far the best unit Alpine has made next to the CDA9835. I had both and I also had the IVAD901 which has zero features in comparison.

Actually, I've already owned this unit once before but ended up selling with my old truck. In looking at what's offered now, this unit probably offers more than most of the new units.
+1 on that. Pioneer though is one of the few companies that still offers good features across the board in their line.

Alpine has been on it's way downhill for about the last 5 years. I used to manage a car audio store and we did TONS of Alpine until they started taking away the features in their low end units.

A 16 year old kid isn't going to buy a $500 radio because it's alpine when he can get the same features in the $200 pioneer.

Jeff,
When I just saw you auction (clicked on the link) I figured it was a scam based on the fact that the auction hasn't ended yet. Just meeting the reserve doesn't win the auction, if the highest bid is below the reserve, then the seller is not obligated to sell the item...

Forward the email you received to spoof@ebay.com
Ebay will research this and determine if it is a spoof and get back to you. Typically, if you have not received a message/mail directly from the seller through your email account, it is almost certainly a fraudulent email...., likely phishing for your personal information.

You can always contact the seller directly via "ask the seller a question" right on the ebay listing page.

Good luck, and be careful!

Back