Replacing Valve Cover Question

Midge0z

Registered
Have just checked clearances on my 2018 Busa and have reinstalled the valve cover and tensioned down. It was several minutes after this I remembered I didn't pour and oil into oil pockets in cylinder head as per manual "pour oil into each oil pocket in the cylinder head". Is this critical? Do I need pull cover off again to do this? Thanks in advance. :-)

(...) Do I need pull cover off again to do this? Thanks in advance. :-)
as @Mythos already wrote

not necessary .

the description in the manual(s) describes the situation of having been cleaned all parts off the oil

btw - if you wanna wipe away some oil inside engine(s) use only a lint-free cotton cloth / rag to avoid a clogged oil duct by one lint

only one single lint can! cause that with worst consequences.

I remember using an old sock to wipe the journals on my camshafts when I did the Plastigauge test. It was hell to try and rid the surface of fibers after wiping. When you get down to the nitty gritty, I'm not sure there is any piece of cloth you would normally use as a rag that isn't going to leave some fibers. Maybe a brand new piece of microfiber cloth would be best. When I was a kid, I had a motorcycle friend who's father was a mechanic. He said an engine is a self contained environment and opening it up is never good for it but you have to work on them. Exposing the inside of the motor to outside elements is the lesser of two evils. The alternative is to neglect maintaining them. All you can do is keep it as clean as possible. When I did my valve adjustment on my ZX-14, the bike sat in the garage with the plastic taped over the open head and the crankshaft access hole. It had a blanket over it. Some might think that's overkill but not me. My neighbor in the apartment building went out and swept his side of the garage with a broom while I was gone. :banghead:

@berlin I'm holding the sleeve of my Fruit of the Loom up to the computer monitor right now looking real close and I see tiny fuzz sticking up all over the horizon. I know I'm a perfectionist but "lint free" means "no fuzz." If it's been washed, it has fuzz. Maybe a brand new microfiber window cloth would be the best thing if you really really need fuzz free.

Have just checked clearances on my 2018 Busa and have reinstalled the valve cover and tensioned down. It was several minutes after this I remembered I didn't pour and oil into oil pockets in cylinder head as per manual "pour oil into each oil pocket in the cylinder head". Is this critical? Do I need pull cover off again to do this? Thanks in advance. :-)
I ended up not re-doing and started up without issue. Only thing I could think of was that it may be easier to remove valve cover in future if I’d had done as manual said but will find out next time I check clearances . Thanks for all replies.

I ended up not re-doing and started up without issue. Only thing I could think of was that it may be easier to remove valve cover in future if I’d had done as manual said but will find out next time I check clearances . Thanks for all replies.
So the real question is how many miles do you have on the bike and was everything in spec?

Back