Valve Clearance, Manual Cam Chain Tensioner Adjuster Install, and Cam Chain, Tensioner, and Guides Inspection.

@The Magic School Bus

man?

i never would leave these too small shims in the head
cyl.1.1 ex 23/100? damn thats under the middle - best choice was a 265 shim or better a 263 shim
YES these weird meassures like 263 or 262 or 267 a.s.o. exist really - you only have to look for them at the dealer
the shims usually have tolerances of 1-2/100 mm - hundrets so found.

but at 1st, if you don´t have ony yet.
go and get a tool like this one
View attachment 1628538

or easier to read the numbers, this one
View attachment 1628539

only trusting the writing on the shim i never would do!

both have ratchets in their grip.

and,
very best results i got allways when "movin" the clearance up to maximum.
otherwise you´ll do the entire work after only 10000 km again

I did, indeed, use a digital micrometer, thank you.

@601motofun

sorry but 1 or 2 of your shown clearances at your gen2 (?) i would say are too small or very close to the lowest value
here a small table based on the values in the manual

gen1 :
IN
0,10 mm​
-​
0,20 mm​
0,00390 in​
-​
0,00790 in​
EX
0,20 mm​
-​
0,30 mm​
0,00787 in​
-​
0,01180 in​
gen2 :
IN
0,08 mm​
-​
0,18 mm​
0,00310 in​
-​
0,00710 in​
EX
0,18 mm​
-​
0,28 mm​
0,00709 in​
-​
0,01100 in​

in principle : the smaller the clearance the bigger the danger of "off burning" valves is !
my recom. would be to go to upper mearssure

and for calculating in excel here the sheet to download
a. valve clearances gen1 - calc sheet "over all"
b. conversion sheet mm to in

a. makes 100% sure not to miscalculate - that´s why i built it for me and my garage´s computer ;)

and if you take the cams out for 2 valve shims bring all clearances to upper value

Does this excel file work for anyone else? Would be pretty handy but it doesn’t open for me.

@Hayabusa Wannabe

your "love" smily (above) shows that my 2 excel-sheets work fine?

then thanks for that pos. response :)

anda question - should i built those 2 in inches too,
4 all those how have no metric feelers yet ?

The "love" button is the best button to indicate "Wow this is a major contribution to the forum!" I do wish there was a button "Ultra-Helpful Contribution!" instead. Every time I press the love button I get hundreds of private message from members trying to pick me up.

Unfortunately there is a problem though Frank. Several of my browsers flag the Gen 1 file as having "an insecure connection." I am unsure why that is as the location seems identical for the gen 2 file. But, it was difficult for me in one browser to even see the error. It just did nothing when I attempted the download. I switched browsers and the second browser put up an obvious big red flag. It did allow me to override it, but with a very scary message about hackers being able to steal personal information.

I see one problem with your site, and this is for everyone hosting a site due to recent changes: "http". Browsers are now flagging any site that is not "https". Your site should be converted. Some hosts do it automatically where you may just add the "s" and it will work. Others may force users to do programmatic changes. Yes, both links are http, so this may not be the problem with the gen 1 file, but this should get updated no matter what or people will have a difficult time reaching your site.

Back