Clutch fluid question

_ZeF

Donating Member
Registered
I was replacing my bike`s chain and sprockets, when reinstalling the front sprocket cover, i accidently moved the clutch slave cylinder cover, the one i think that retains the fluid just before the clutch pushrod... Some fluid dropped out of there... I cleaned, reinstalled everything and reinstalled the cover in place.

Now i have no clutch engagement and the clutch lever has no restrictions what so ever. I think that i now have some air in the slave cylinder and i`ll have to bleed the clutch line but before getting what i need to do so i want some opinions... Does this seems the right explanation?

Thanks for any advice!!!

race.gif

Might not be a bad idea to flush and bleed your clutch... But yeah, if you had fluid drop out, you might want to bleed it at a minimum...

Okay... Problem solved. It was indeed the air in the system, i had lost certainly half the circuit's fluid.

Now i flushed the circuit with new fluid and bled the system, everything back to normal.

Ready to ride (oh! i forgot, 13 inches of snow fell yesterday, dayum!)

Yup,you'll be surprized how sukky it will work with just a little air in the system!
beerchug.gif

(brendanp @ Mar. 03 2007,13:50) Yup,you'll be surprized how sukky it will work with just a little air in the system!
beerchug.gif
I was surprised at how easy it was to get air in the system!

I had a little bit dribble out of mine a few weeks ago when I was workin' on the chain. It's still workin' but I'm betting I'm just on a slow track to a fast problem.

Thanks for posting up. I'm going to bleed mine just because.

--Wag--

is clutch fluid DOT4 same as DOT4 brake fluid? it says on the bottle recommended for hydraulic clutches?

(redkat05 @ Jul. 13 2007,14:19) is clutch fluid DOT4 same as DOT4 brake fluid? it says on the bottle recommended for hydraulic clutches?
Same stuff. As long as it is DOT4 you are good to go!
muscle.gif

ok so I'm to understand that DOT4 brake fluid and DOT4 clutch fluid are one in the same? just Hydraulic fluid then? Can i just use the mini-vac pump to suck out old fluid from the reservoir and then put in fresh fluid and flush?

Yes, DOT4 brake fluid is also what is used in the clutch. If you have a Miti-vac, attach it at the slave cylinder & pull the fluid through the system.. just don't let the reservoir run dry!
beerchug.gif

A good mod to do would be to cover the slave cylinder after popping it out and giving it a good cleaning and maybe changing the seal, too.

I used some aluminum AC ducting tape on mine with a small hole for the rod. Dirt and grease doesn't get inside anymore and it's still clean after several years.

(Narcissus @ Jul. 13 2007,14:59) A good mod to do would be to cover the slave cylinder after popping it out and giving it a good cleaning and maybe changing the seal, too.

I used some aluminum AC ducting tape on mine with a small hole for the rod. Dirt and grease doesn't get inside anymore and it's still clean after several years.
I love that mod. Cheaper is better and gets the job done.

Finally had to change the seal in mine. Got 'er done yesterday, rode today, all's good in the world again.

Keep an eye on your clutch fluid level window. If you're losing fluid, you can bet you have to change that seal in the slave piston.

--Wag--

Back