Taking off front sprocket with chain and wheel ALREADY off!!

liass44

Registered
As the title says, I'm a dumbass for grinding the old chain off before breaking the allen nut and sprocket nut loose. Should I wait until my new chain comes in and put it all together and then break it loose or is there another way of breaking it loose without having a chain on it? Also, when I removed the cover for the front sprocket the little seal was left on the shaft and I accidently pressed the clutch lever and fluid started coming out I noticed it was pushing a little bearing out from looks like a fluid housing in the cover so I pushed it back in and put the seal back in and put the cover back on and now there is no lever pressure. Have I let air into the system and need to bleed the clutch? Thanks.

First thing try putting the transmission in gear to break the allen lose. If that does not work you can use an allen socket on an impact gun to take it off.

As far as your clutch goes you are going to have to bleed it.

Trying to break it loose with the bike in gear can damage the transmission.
Lay the chain back over the sprockets, there will be enough teeth engaged on both to keep the front sprocket from turning.
Sit on the bike with it on the kickstand and apply the rear brake, and use a long breaker bar.
You should have enough leverage from the seated position. I have done several this way.
Occasionally you'll get one that won't give up. You'll have to use an impact wrench.
But again, just the chain laid over the sprockets will hold it.

As already said too, you'll have to bleed the clutch(done just the same as brakes).

Ok thanks. I read these after just coming back from the garage I layed my old chain over the front sprocket and wedged a screwdriver through a link and the backplate of the swingarm and broke the nut loose using my old ninja handlebars as a breaker bar... and the bike was in neutral because i have heard people mention it damaging the transmission. thanks for the help guys now time to bleed the clutch.

Well I fired up my compressor thinking I was going to need my impact for the actual sprocket nut but i decided to take a wack at it with the breaker bar and it was barely hand tightened it seemed...

I have never had an issue with the front sprocket on the '06 or '08. I guess we have both been lucky

Yes, well it seems the front sprocket that I took off was an aftermarket 16 tooth vortex. Whoever put it on did not torque the nut down to the correct specifications. I ordered the 530 zvmx chain with vortex steel sprockets and some schnitzracing cush rubbers along with a motionpro chain breaker/riveting kit. Any comments on the chain quality? Thanks.

Back