Regulator / rectifier testing (faulty?)

KieranJ1992

Registered
Good day, all.

I'm curious if anybody can help me out?

My Hayabusa (2010 LO model) is having issues charging the battery:
- Alternator (stator) checks out
- Battery checks out

I've run over some tests on the regulator/rectifier, on a diode test, following a Haynes manual for guidance.

The pictures show me results, compared to the manual.

The 'OL' i have written under B/R1 and B/R2 is what's got me curious.

Do I assume, from an OL reading, that the regulator/rectifier is faulty?

Any help to shed light on this would be highly appreciated.
Thank you.

*Note -
B/R1 & B/R2 wires are Red/Black
B/W1 & B/W2 wires are White/Black
B1, B2 & B3 wires are black*

**Note - I rounded up the figures to make it easier to read ✌️**

20240402_195740.jpg

20240402_195749.jpg

You should be able to call your local Suzuki dealership and provide your VIN# to find out.

Long story short, there is no way to 100% test a regulator/rectifier.
They are commin failures, and they can also have hit or miss symptoms from over or under charging...then work fine again.

If your grounds are clean and tight, and you have no accessories that could cause a parasitic draw, the reg/rec is the first part I'de suspect.
I also like to prove something is bad, vs throwing parts at something...however, my personal experience with reg/recs is that they act up, dont, do, and wait til a bad time, lol.
Undercharging, oh well, overcharging...I have seen that swell a battery, and be thankful the bike shut off before the battery blew open. Not common, but it happens.
So, replacing a reg/rec is a good idea, and likely fixes the problem.
If not, I still wouldn't feel bad about having a new reg/rec on there, while I searched elsewhere.

They are commin failures, and they can also have hit or miss symptoms from over or under charging...then work fine again.

If your grounds are clean and tight, and you have no accessories that could cause a parasitic draw, the reg/rec is the first part I'de suspect.
I also like to prove something is bad, vs throwing parts at something...however, my personal experience with reg/recs is that they act up, dont, do, and wait til a bad time, lol.
Undercharging, oh well, overcharging...I have seen that swell a battery, and be thankful the bike shut off before the battery blew open. Not common, but it happens.
If not, I still wouldn't feel bad about having a new reg/rec on there, while I searched elsewhere.
Haha. So in your experience, it seems they have a mind of their own! Tricky, aren't they!?

Thanks for the advice.
Over the weekend, just to settle my mind, I'm going to triple cross-check every aspect of the charging system before I place an order - just to be safe! As well as call up for the possible recall!

Thank you for the advice

@KieranJ1992

check ALL connectors
- from generator to main harness (3-pt.-conn. under the tank, keft side)
- from harness to regulator (5-pt.-conn. at the regulator)

and check also - ALL - the wires if they are still as flexible as usual or hava a hard insulation caused by too much heat caused by too much voltage .

havn´t had that yet at gen2s , but dozen times at gen1s .

see these 2 pages where u can see how the wires and connector look at different gen1
page 1
&
page 2

I am 100% sure that your issue is the voltage rectifier and usually if its over charging will cause issues with the wiring.
I have dealt with this on my VFR as its known for failing on the generation I had. I was riding and all the sudden my bike died and wouldnt start. After a bit of diag once I charged the battery up I came up with that as the issue. When I checked the battery while running the voltage reading would barely go up. When I would rev the bike there was no change when usually it should go up some more if the bike uses a stator.

I have also run into this too when I bought a 2007 R6 when I was at Ft. Campbell. During PDI they didn't plug in the voltage rectifier, I was 40 miles away from the dealer and the bike just cut off and battery was dead. I was also another 15 miles away from the post as well. Mid South Motoplex came and picked the bike and I up and fixed the situation.

you could buy and oscilloscope and check a few things while it’s running. There are some decent options that don’t break the bank but will provide you with enough to fidelity to figure out what’s going on.

You are spot on in your assessment of voltage reg/rect's.
They are fickle and play up as you said.
I fitted a voltage reg from a 04 GSXR600 to my Busa after the OEM (20 years old) unit failed (no charging)
It fixed the problem, now charging at 14.2v as it should.
One thing that was not mentioned in this thread was the Stator Coil (AC generator) AC voltage output, measured at each (all 3) phase wires.
This is often overlooked and stators go bad and burn up often, sometimes just one phase, other times 2 or all 3 phases. I've seen a lot of them burnt.

Back