Gen 1 charging woes

GXR1147

Registered
So my charging issues were first noticed as a fuel pressure dropping issue. Finally noticed it was a voltage issue. The battery is brand new and also has a brand new Ricks regulator/rectifier. Bike charges at about 14.4V cold. As it gets to operating temps it doesn't charge and lives off of the battery. Bringing the RPMs up only nets about a .5 volt increase at best when it's at temp. It gets as low as 12.0v usually before i stop testing but I've seen it get into he 11.7v range. The longer we go the lower it goes basically. I get an even 85V from all 3 legs of the stator as well as even resistance of .4 when cold and .6 ohms when hot on all 3 stator legs.

Seeing as you have 85V AC output at all 3 legs of the stator, it certainly looks like it's a regulator issue.
Just try another regulator/rectifier off another Busa if possible, or take that new one back to the supplier and ask for a replacement.

Last edited:
Seeing as you have 85V AC output at all 3 legs of the alternator, it certainly looks like it's a regulator issue.
Just try another regulator/rectifier off another Busa if possible, or take that new one back to the supplier and ask for a replacement.
Forgot to mention, check all terminal connections and continuity of wiring from stator connector through to the rect/reg connector.

Last edited:
So I looked at the wirin schematic and the only thing between the stator and R/R is the 3 yellow wires. I tested the ohms on them today (cold and hot) and had basically no resistance in the wires and terminals . The new regulator/rectifier is from Frank @ powerhouse and actually improved charging at idle and was more stable in managing a constant voltage at the battery over the stock one I took out. (This was actually yesterday). So 2 different regulators and the same issue once it gets hot. I did a visual inspection of the stator and saw some dumb stuff that I didn't like. Such as a couple small spots where the insulation coating looks like it chipped off, a couple dark, almost black spots where it looks like the winding inside the insulated coating started to burn through and what looked like some cracked wire insulation. I do t know if this is enough to affect things when it gets how, but it's the only not new barging component in the system at this point. So I ordered a new one today from frank and I'll get it swapped out when it arrives and retest everything. Hopefully with some positive results. I highly recommend that regulator/ rectifier he offers. Even at idle I am now getting 14.4V vs the factory R/R giving me only 13.4 at best at idle. Would have to bring the rpms up to get it into the 14's.

IMG_7335.JPG

IMG_7336.JPG

IMG_7337.JPG

IMG_7338.JPG

Last edited:
Back