Ricks Motorsports Electrics Stator Rectifier/regulator Garbage

turbobusa2000

Registered
Just wanted to post up about these garbage stators and rectifier regulators that this company has been peddling for several years. First I'll refer you to my old thread that I started back in Aug of 2009. In that thread I burnt up the connector from the stator to the rectifier. I was told they should be soldered and the connector is prone to malfunction. Seems like they should tell people that from teh get go. They didn't of course.

Well now it's 2016, I've had my stator rewound 3 times by ricks, both times getting heavier gauge wiring with soldered connections going to the rectifier. I've also used and burnt up 2 of their so called "hotshot" regulators.

Anyway, stay away from Ricks Motorsports Electrics. The packages they sell wont last, they're garbage.

Dan

I had one go out on the dyno just the other day. It was under warranty, shipped back and they never received it. I am researching through USPS to try and find it. I am not of the opinion that it was ever producing better power and yes I did have a hot shot regulator as well as a harness that I built with larger conductors and ran it outside the main harness for heat dissipation. I will be buying used OEM stators from now on unless there is an alternative vendor.

I had one go out on the dyno just the other day. It was under warranty, shipped back and they never received it. I am researching through USPS to try and find it. I am not of the opinion that it was ever producing better power and yes I did have a hot shot regulator as well as a harness that I built with larger conductors and ran it outside the main harness for heat dissipation. I will be buying used OEM stators from now on unless there is an alternative vendor.

That's good advice. I'm purchasing used oem or new if I can find a reasonable one.

I'm glad you posted this. I've had a woodcraft cover and rick's stator on my wish list for some time now. I guess I won't waste my money and just do the cover.

I'm glad you posted this. I've had a woodcraft cover and rick's stator on my wish list for some time now. I guess I won't waste my money and just do the cover.

Anybody that "melts" regulators and goes through several stators ought to look for the real source of the problem. We have sold many of the high output stators and hotshot regulators without one issue. They most typically are used on bikes that run extra pumps or have other accessories that drain the stock system. I would bet that once the OP puts in an oem, he will have a problem with that also. Either way, it is easy to blame something that is not the real cause and although that may not be the case here, I would be interested to know what eventually solved the problem that has been apparently going on for a while. Bottom line is my experience with Rick's products has always been positive . . . good luck with your repair, please post the fix when you get there . . .

Anybody that "melts" regulators and goes through several stators ought to look for the real source of the problem. We have sold many of the high output stators and hotshot regulators without one issue. They most typically are used on bikes that run extra pumps or have other accessories that drain the stock system. I would bet that once the OP puts in an oem, he will have a problem with that also. Either way, it is easy to blame something that is not the real cause and although that may not be the case here, I would be interested to know what eventually solved the problem that has been apparently going on for a while. Bottom line is my experience with Rick's products has always been positive . . . good luck with your repair, please post the fix when you get there . . .

Real source of the problem is the Rick's motorsports stator, rectifier regulator that I installed. The real source of the problem is that they sell an incomplete product that is actually too powerful for the factory harness and they fail to inform customers about potential problems that may or may not occur when installing. A simple google search will lead to threads like mine, once your sift through the first eight pages of biased advertising and bogus reviews. Funny I had the oem battery and charging system on my bike for 10 years and as soon as I put on a ricks I first burn up the plug between the r/r and stator. Long story short I've gone through about 10 new batteries, several paid rewinds by ricks with heavier gauge wire (another little thing they don't mention that should be part of all these kits, along with other mods, like soldered connections or quality lugged connections and harness modifications going to the battery.) and more recently a blown rectifier. As far as me blaming without cause, I wouldn't expect you to support my argument considering you sell their product. I'm quite sure you've had customers with grounded out stators or blown r/r's as well. But that claim is about as well supported as you saying its easy for me to blame their product for my issues.

Last edited:
Real source of the problem is the Rick's motorsports stator, rectifier regulator that I installed. The real source of the problem is that they sell an incomplete product that is actually too powerful for the factory harness and they fail to inform customers about potential problems that may or may not occur when installing. A simple google search will lead to threads like mine, once your sift through the first eight pages of biased advertising and bogus reviews. Funny I had the oem battery and charging system on my bike for 10 years and as soon as I put on a ricks I first burn up the plug between the r/r and stator. Long story short I've gone through about 10 new batteries, several paid rewinds by ricks with heavier gauge wire (another little thing they don't mention that should be part of all these kits, along with other mods, like soldered connections or quality lugged connections and harness modifications going to the battery.) and more recently a blown rectifier. As far as me blaming without cause, I wouldn't expect you to support my argument considering you sell their product. I'm quite sure you've had customers with grounded out stators or blown r/r's as well. But that claim is about as well supported as you saying its easy for me to blame their product for my issues.

On the contrary, I am not discounting your experience at all. If I had your bike in my shop, I would find out what is going on. A stator is nothing more than a coil, kinda hard to mess that up. A regulator is a little more complicated. The bottom line is I have no affinity or investment in Rick or his products, and have sold MANY of these setups with NO issues. If I find out a vendor's product is garbage, POWERHOUSE will not sell that product, bottom line. Good luck with the fix, please post when you get there . . .

Not to revive an old thread but I was digging in to see what was recommended for regulators and seen this. My stock one on my busa lasted 15 years. I now just had my Rick's hotshot regulator go bad after 2 years. All charging system checks out good but the regulator failed the diode test. I'm gonna go back to OEM this time around seeing itnlasted 15 ywardand I am gonna add a small digital battery gauge to keep an eye on things from now on.

Not to revive an old thread but I was digging in to see what was recommended for regulators and seen this. My stock one on my busa lasted 15 years. I now just had my Rick's hotshot regulator go bad after 2 years. All charging system checks out good but the regulator failed the diode test. I'm gonna go back to OEM this time around seeing itnlasted 15 ywardand I am gonna add a small digital battery gauge to keep an eye on things from now on.

Imagine that....

Reactions: c10
Back