regulator/rectifier wiring melted

horney-one

Registered
hi new to forum so would appreciate answers to wiring problem..
my regulator/rectifier wiring has just melted at the connector, unfortunately it was that bad that i could not figure out where the three yellow wires connect back to the regulator. i have identified the red and the black/white one and where they go but the others were toasted so had to replace them. is it going to cause damage to bike if i guess where they go as they come from the generator and stop the battery overcharging. i dont have any electrics knowledge nor equipment. any help gratefully received.

What year bike are we talking about. If its a Gen II it under recall and therefore under warranty. If its a Gen I, then I will have to rely on the more knowledgeable members of the board. Welcome to the oRg.

:welcome: to the oRg :thumbsup: take that bike to a mechanic. I don't want the harness or anything else damaged. You need to let a mechanic handle this one unless someone lives close and wants to help you out. Best of luck. The manuals are available and the schematics are in them, but without any electrical background I think you should let a pro do the job and determine why the meltdown occurred to start with.

i would definately download the service manual for your bike but i would also definately do my best to find the cause of the meltdown as previously said. Last thing youd want it for it to do it again and possibly melt something else.

:welcome: to the oRg :thumbsup: take that bike to a mechanic. I don't want the harness or anything else damaged. You need to let a mechanic handle this one unless someone lives close and wants to help you out. Best of luck. The manuals are available and the schematics are in them, but without any electrical background I think you should let a pro do the job and determine why the meltdown occurred to start with.

Absolutely. Even if you "fix" the wiring at the point of failure, you will not have addressed the cause of the failure and it could just as easily happen again and possibly cause more issues as well.

the yellow wires match up with the 3 black wires in the plug for the rectifier. They are all the same so the order doesn't matter.

I swap'd out my stock rectifier with a mosfet style. When I was doing the research I found out that it is common for these plugs to melt after years in use. So just because it melted doesn't mean you have some kind of problem. With that said I would still check the charging system once everything is back together.

hope it helps

That's just the answer I was hoping for. Thanks for that. Bike now back together and will be getting it checked to see if any other problems. Thanks to all who contributed. Great help..'

I gotta add my two cents here, I recently had the stator, and stock rectifier replaced and the wiring harness repaired up to the point it burned. Now two months later the connector has burned up again blah! So I have decided, not being a mechanic myself, to take it back to the mechanic who fixed it to begin with, this really bites cause I just had a new chrome swingarm put on it and want to show it off, oh well back to the drawing board so to speak.:banghead:

Back