stator recifier education

marcair

Registered
I have a 1st gen motor installed in a car in 2009. Electricity is obtained by a crank-driven pulley belted to an alternator. However, the OEM stator/rectifier sys remains intack EXCEPT I remove an inline fuse on the output wire of the rectifier. I never use both 12v sys at the same time. The OEM sys was only used for a 9 mo period when problems developed with the access drive sys. Recently, the rectifier and connector melted so a new rectifier was purchased.

Note that with engine running and using the alternator, I read 24v between each 2-wires of the stator 3 wire output. Stator is good per manual specs. With a new rectifier wired to the stator BUT NOT joined to the motor elec sys, multimeter reads either 3.76vdc from the very hot rectifier output after 2 minutes. So a second rectifier was tested. Multimeter reads 0.7vdc from the very hot rectifier output after 2 minutes.

The new rectifier has a 5 pin connector (3 pins to the stator, 12v and grd). The stator has a 3 pin connector. So i cut off both connectors and soldered mating 3 pin connectors between the 3 wires between the stator /rectifier and run the 12v and ground wires where they should go.

NOW HERE ARE THE QUESTIONS: (1) the 3 yellow stator output wires are unmarked and the 3 black rectifier input wires are unmarked. Is there a specific requirement or order of the 3 phase wires into the rectifier. (2) does the rectifier have to be grounded or just the output wire?

accessory drive.jpg

Back