Regulator Charging Volts

dave s

Registered
The bikes going in for the regulator recall next week so I checked what volts the old one is producing , 14.2 volts on tick over 14.2 volts at 5000rpm I've done some searching and there are conflicting results on whats wrong or right.I've had no charging or starting issues and the only reason I'm checking is because I don't trust the main dealer and was going to check his work after I got the bike back,it's a 2oo8,

As long as we are dealing with a 12 volt system, it does not matter if it's a Car or Bike, the charging battery voltage should be around 14.4V plus or minus. That should be at idle as well. The regulator does just that, regulates the voltage to the 14.4V range even when the stator (or alternator in the case of a car) is outputting more than 14.4V because the engine is spinning faster thus producing more voltage. In the case of a car there is usually a regulator and rectifier built in to the alternator.
You did not ask for a lesson but I thought I would give a detailed answer for all.

The Busa doesn't charge the battery until around 2k rpms, so the charging voltage should be less at idle.

The Busa doesn't charge the battery until around 2k rpms, so the charging voltage should be less at idle.

I've been repairing my charging system this spring. I'm pretty sure my bike shows charging voltage at idle but I'll double check tomorrow.

dave
Your original comment was not super clear.
What voltage do you have at idle?
What do you have at 2k rpm, 3k rpm, 4k rpm and 5k rpm?
Get back to use with the numbers and we'll tell you if that sounds normal.

This thread got me wondering, so I went out and checked. At idle I am at 14.5 volts anything over 2 grand it holds at 15.1 volts.

dave
That's perfectly fine man.

nosbig
That's fine also.

The variations in readings are the result of the fact that no two RR's are identical. 14.2-15 is within an acceptable range and I would not be concerned with either reading if it were my bike.

Well, I put my foot in my mouth on that one.
Especially since I never checked, but I did always find it strange, as you'de esentially be draining the battery at anything less than 2k.
I trusted the org, as there are Many old posts stating that the Busa will not charge the battery under 2k.
Live and learn, I'm getting sloppy in my old age.
I bought the disinformantion, and sold it.
My apollogies.

Back