My version of a charging issue, seems a bit different than what I've read about.

MDoe8

Registered
Alrighty, I'll keep this simple since there are a billion of charging threads (many of which I've read).

Last time I rode, the bike died a few times either coming to an idle or when I took off from a stop fairly abruptly (almost like i stalled it but i definitely didn't, power just cut off). Also, the headlight stopped working and when I clicked the high beam and blinker on at the same time, I noticed a slight dip of idle rpm's.

Now here is what I've tested/observed:

- Connection to the regulator is perfect. Very clean, snug, wires look good, etc.
- Battery measures 11.8 Volts without bike on
- Battery measures 11.4 Volts with key in the on position
- Battery dipped to 9 Volts while cranking (although a couple days ago it barely turned over so it was probably much lower)
- Battery measures 14.5 Volts while at idle (seemed high)
- Battery measured around 13.8-14.1 Volts from 2000-5500 rpms
- Battery spiked at idle one time to 14.8 but went down
- Battery NEVER read less than 13.8 or higher than 14.8 while running.
- Battery measured 12.4 volts after turning off bike but bled down to 11.8 pretty quickly.

Does this sound like a regulator issue? It's weird because it seems to be weird only at idle. Also to note, the bike has only behaved weird a couple of times. Other than that, it seems ok.

What's your idle set at ? Start checking for drains, or take the bike to advance and have the battery load tested. Switching the key on isn't much of a load and the battery dropping quickly to 11.4 seems wrong. Since you don't mind reading , take a look at the technical PDF for SLA batteries : Power Sonic Technical Section

Idle is 1200 i think? I can't recal exactly. When I bought the bike it was idling high so I set it to whatever factory spec is.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

1200 would be good. The drop in your battery is wrong. If the battery is 5 or 6 years old replace it. You could have a drain. Have you added electrical / electronic devices ? I just went outside and checked mine. It's been sitting in the garage for about 1 hour from a short ride up town. 12.96 Volts.

It appears to be an older batter, I'm not sure.

It DID have an alarm on it that never worked. I completely removed that yesterday. Perhaps that caused a drain and the battery is just getting old?

The high idle voltage is what confuses me. If that is indeed higher than normal, it probably points to an irregular regulator/stator.

If you have a charger , pull the battery leads and charge it. When you disconnect it measure the battery. It should stay above 12.7 for a while. If it drops like you say to 11.4 that's a battery getting ready to go. There is a simple drain check in the online free manual. You might want to do that test before replacing the battery.

Watching TV and can't do two things at once. My post is all over the place, but hopefully you understand.

Your test voltages tell me the regulator is fine. You might have a drain, but I'm thinking battery. I've heard the injectors won't fire below a certain voltage. If the R.P.M.s drop when you take off and the battery isn't healthy you could kill the motor. Just an internet theory :laugh:

Brought it to O'reilly's. They did a quick charge up to 160 CCA and then used their hand held tester thingamabobber (tehnically speaking of course).

It showed 11.6 Volts and 112 CCA. Sounds like a battery going down to me. I'm going to purchase a gel battery. In the meantime, I've got mine on a charger and we'll see how that holds up.

New battery came in today, we'll see if this cures the issue over time. If I never respond to this thread, consider it solved ;)

Back