charging battery

custom rider

Registered
I am going to buy a 2/6 amp, 12 volt battery charger for my busa and wanted to know if I use the 2 amp or 6 amp when charging? Thanks in advance!

Go with the lowest setting on the charger. I've always used 2 amp but technically trickle charging should be less than that.

I recommend one of those high frequency chargers that are becoming popular. You can now buy them at places like Menards or Walmart. I bought mine from Menards for $20 bucks on sale.
It's all electronic and has push buttons for settings and led indicators (along with audible beep) for each function, even has it's own internal cooling fan. When the battery if fully charged the "full" led lights up and it automatically goes into maintenance mode. It will never overcharge the battery. For larger car batteries (or if you need your bike battery charged in a hurry) you can select 2, 4 or 6 amps and it will autmatically drop to the next level down until it's in maintenance mode.

You have to be careful with a regular charger and the cheap trickle chargers. If you forget to disconnect them, they'll overcharge the battery and boil out all the water destroying your battery.

Go with the lowest setting on the charger.  I've always used 2 amp but technically trickle charging should be less than that.

I recommend one of those high frequency chargers that are becoming popular.  You can now buy them at places like Menards or Walmart.  I bought mine from Menards for $20 bucks on sale.
It's all electronic and has push buttons for settings and led indicators (along with audible beep) for each function, even has it's own internal cooling fan.  When the battery if fully charged the "full" led lights up and it automatically goes into maintenance mode.  It will never overcharge the battery.  For larger car batteries (or if you need your bike battery charged in a hurry) you can select 2, 4 or 6 amps and it will autmatically drop to the next level down until it's in maintenance mode.

You have to be careful with a regular charger and the cheap trickle chargers.  If you forget to disconnect them, they'll overcharge the battery and boil out all the water destroying your battery.
Good information! Thanks,
beerchug.gif

Hard to add to that advise. 2amp if your going to use that type of charger. I used a battery tender jr. on my bike last winter and its on there now. 750mA output and I leave it on there all witner

If you are using the charger during the winter the 2/6 A would be too high for a constant charge, you would begin to boil the electolyte and lose some water...pick up a Battery Tender for storage of a battery....as for initial charging or top charging...Definitely go with the 2A setting...this will give your battery more capacity...Only use the 6A if you are in the need of a quick charge....

Go with the battery tender for winter use. It will not over charge your battery. Even at 2amp setting your battey will be over charged in a couple of days.

Recommended recharging time is 5A for one hour or 1.2A for 5 to 10 hours. It is not recommended to exceed 5A at any time.

Yes 2 amp will eventually overcharge a battery which is why I recommended the high frequency charger. About ½ the price of a "battery tender" and 100X more advanced.
As I mentioned, after fully charged it goes into maintenance mode.
Actually there are 3 modes that the processor automatically selects as needed:
Rapid start charge
Absorption charge
Top off Charge
Then OFF when fully charged and it will cycle back to Top off when needed to maintain the battery charge at an amperage determined by the microprocessor.

The charger also provides incredibly CLEAN DC output which is very efficient and great for long battery life. At the 6 amp setting it will charge a car battery enough within 8 minutes to start a car.
Pretty impressive for a charger that will fit in the palm of your hand.

The model I bought from Menards is marketed by PEAK (antifreeze guys) and I've seen other places like Walmart selling them under the Vector name.

Back