Battery drain

Koondogg

Registered
06 and for the last yr my battery drains after a week or so, I owened it for 5 yrs. I did the in series amp draw test with everything off and get .8 amps. If I pull the fuel pump fuse it goes to zero. If I put the fuse back in and pull the relay it started same. Fuel pump? I don't have a wire diagram.

20221104_211736.jpg

06 and for the last yr my battery drains after a week or so, I owened it for 5 yrs. I did the in series amp draw test with everything off and get .8 amps. If I pull the fuel pump fuse it goes to zero. If I put the fuse back in and pull the relay it started same. Fuel pump? I don't have a wire diagram.

View attachment 1657035
Don't really have an answer for any the draw goes away when you pull the relay but a little more info could help to get and diagnose your issue. How old is the battery? Have you ran thru the stator tests? I've had bad stators before where it had one leg of it shorted to ground and it would drain the battery but would still run and charge the battery. Usually they will drain the battery to not starting within 2 days but the last gixxer I had it happen on would go almost 4 days before it was too far down to crank the bike. Not to say this is your issue just thinking out loud and giving ideas of possible places to check.

@Koondogg welcome to the forum!

@Berlin Germany got wiring diagram?

Who knows: Is the gen 1 fuel pump isolated or is there something else on the circuit?

This will come right back to the forum and pull up some diagrams (select "images" in the search engine) but some are cutoff or not a large image. I wish we had a dedicated file repository as these things are in fact available here, it is just difficult to find them.

@Koondogg

man?

for batt voltage turn the central switch two clicks fruther to the right - batt volt is DC (direct current)
chen-vector-illustration-isoliert-auf-weiss-way8rj.jpg

never AC (alternating current)

and then measure again the voltage.
and you can only measure the A (ampere) between the negative battery and the unscrewed, free negative wire.

but never try that measuring while pushing same time the starter button - you´ll burn the instrument.
the starter takes around 80-100 amperes
what the instrument can´t stand - not even for a 1/10 of a second.

Last edited:
@Berlin Germany, the physical dial is pointing to current (opposite of the voltage mark) and the screen indicates DC. He has the meter in series with the battery to measure short-circuit current.

Immaterial to this, it appears that the meter has a dual mode for current measuring as the current selection shows both AC and DC so perhaps outside of the picture is a mode-select, or it is auto-detect.

Back