Reduc track day report, 09/27/03

mcoyote

Registered
I attended the reduc (www.reduc.com) instructional track day at Pocono Raceway in Long Pond, PA, this weekend. The weather was generally cloudy but in the high sixties and low seventies. I ran all of the sessions until we were lighting-ed out about 4:30pm (the last session was in the rain, however -- way fun). As usual, reduc provided breakfast, lunch, snacks, and fluids throughout the day and it was just great. They put on a simply awesome show and are otherwise generally nice folks.

The "instructional" portion was a few classroom sessions on riding position, cornering, and braking, coupled with on-track time with a control rider in small groups who took time observing each of us and gave helpful feedback between sessions (Renard was mine). The afternoon was basically free-form, however. The "Pocono East" course we were on isn't exactly a speed-centric course, what with a fairly short straightaway, so the emphasis is on cornering and braking skill.

Some other thoughts:

- The trips up and back on my Hayabusa convinced me that it is simply an awesome road bike, but maybe not the best to (at least) get started with on the track. It takes some effort to heel over into a turn and the gearing is such that you can spend some time rowing between 2nd and 3rd to make the most of the torque. Yes, I got waxed by guys and gals on 600's (and BMW R-bikes, for that matter), but that's par for the course. It was worth it. My best session average was 50mph, and top speed on the straightaway was about 100mph. I'm going to see if I can tow a used 600cc track toy behind my 'Busa somehow.

- I was surprised how HIGH a gear I could do the course and still have enough oomph to get out of the turns in good shape. Renard convinced me to do this after my first session where I had done a few laps "pace" style in first gear just by running the throttle and no brakes. For a while I did everything in 3rd except for the hairpin, but I think I will end up settling into 2nd so I will have more torque available (I have done 85mph in 1st at 11k RPM -- things don't really get interesting until 5k RPM). I believed that I had good throttle control, and generally I do, but my formula is predicated on pretty constant engine braking and that's problematic because it can contribute to breaking loose the rear tire. Higher gears require more subtlety.

- The ride up and back was excellent because (a) I could see halfway to Canada with my HIDs in the pitch dark and fog of the PA Turnpike NE Extension (I476), (b) the Corbin seat -- now that it's broken in -- is good for many an hour in the saddle, and © the Ventura rack system is the way to go for sport touring. I carried so much junk in that thing: Snacks and drinks in the front pouch to keep hydrated 'n such on the ride, tools and tape for prepping the bike, first aid kit, extra clothes, extra gloves, books to read, chain oil, WD40, you name it. AND, it was easy to slip on, didn't upset my CG, and could be off the bike and on my back in an instant when I was somewhere I wanted to be. Plus, my MP3 player w/Boostaroo does indeed sound good at 100mph.

(...Even though Vas thinks a rack system on a 'Busa is "a crime against nature," I couldn't be happier...)

- The ride up and back was also horrendous, however, because I was with my dad on his Superhawk. That bike has 1/2 the range of mine (did I mention the 'Busa was a good road bike? 48mpg on the way down I476 on Sunday, and only burned half a tank at track), and on top of that my Dad needed to stop every 40mi or so to stretch and have cigarette or two. Way annoying, but I love the guy, even if he almost got killed a couple of times. It looks like he picked up a good deal of confidence on the trip, however, and -- who knows -- we might do it again. Do the math, however: 230mi to Long Pond, PA from my house (Hyattsville, MD), left at 3pm, arrived at 12:30am. Yecch.

- Prepping the 'Busa and the Superhawk for the track was painfully easy. Just taped over all the lights and reflectors, removed the mirrors and license plates, removed the top (slip-in) part of the cargo rack on the 'Busa, and unplugged the fuses for the headlights so the tape wouldn't melt. My dad's bike won't run without the headlight fuses, so we just taped them over and had no problems. The best part is that when it started raining we discovered that the tape adhesive is water soluble, so getting street ready again was very easy. The Corbin seat is great for touring, but it's very hard to hang off of in turns -- a little too much cradling going on there. Still, I managed. Next time I might bring the stockers along/instead.

- I was a little reluctant to push the limits on my one road ride and ticket home, but I still felt like I went a bit further than I had before. The track environment is very confidence inspiring and makes the street feel downright medieval. There oughta be a law, for example, that every road with any kind of a curve gets permanent, retro-reflective entry and apex marks painted on them. Otherwise, I learned the lesson about general use of rear brakes (that would be "don't do it") on my first lap out when I didn't see a turn-in coming up and broke loose the rear tire (was probably still cold). Recovered without drama, but the rear brake sat out the rest of the day. I have a lot more respect for my tires (Metz M1's) and brakes (EBC HH's, Goodridge SS lines) now that I've actually trusted them a little.

Not bad for $255. Highly recommended. Plus, the racedayphoto.com guys were there and they took some very flattering shots of us that we can peruse online and get snazzy prints of (or stuff on your palm-pilot, such as I have -- see attachments, btw).

Pocono1.jpg

Cool, way cool. I am hoping to do a track day this year. :D

Looks / sounds like you had fun :laugh:

Ride safe  

VERY Great report! I'm glad you went and had fun! It's impossible to describe and therefore, everyone should just try it. :) The money seemed like a lot at first but afterwards you're like, "pthfffft! whatever!" right??? :)
I totally agree with you on the medevil street comparo!! streets SUCK now!

Back