Road america track day report

Jeez!  Has it been a YEAR? ? ? ?   IT HAS!  Oh man!! Congrats on the bump to I!  That "slippery pass" under the bridge still bugs me.

Did you spend a lot of time on your rev limited in 6th on those straits? ? ?  Dat's a  LOONG track for a 600  
smile.gif
I switched the gearing on the gixxer. The stock gearing is 16/46, but I used 15/44. I normally run 15/47 or 15/48 at Blackhawk (short/technical track), so I left the front sprocket alone.

I was reaching about 10,500 rpm on the main straight in 6th gear just before my braking point. I should have used a 15/45 combo, but I was too lazy to swap it out at the track.

Schweet write up. Us track junkines need to get together somewhere soon......
+ a million!

I'm itchin to try Road America. Just did AMA Track a California Speedway. That's a pretty fun track. Real tight and technical. Believe it or not, I made up most of my time through the infield and twisties as opposed to the long high speed straights. I even blew past many 600's and 750's in my group. Everyone would've thought the opposite but when it comes to late braking on the high speed straights, the Busa SUCKED!! But through the infield, I was fearless.

Awesome write up. I still wanna get me a track bike too. I'm curious to know how I would do on a smaller bike.

Schweet write up. Us track junkines need to get together somewhere soon......
+ a million!

I'm itchin to try Road America. Just did AMA Track a California Speedway. That's a pretty fun track. Real tight and technical. Believe it or not, I made up most of my time through the infield and twisties as opposed to the long high speed straights. I even blew past many 600's and 750's in my group. Everyone would've thought the opposite but when it comes to late braking on the high speed straights, the Busa SUCKED!! But through the infield, I was fearless.

Awesome write up. I still wanna get me a track bike too. I'm curious to know how I would do on a smaller bike.
Saw your pics...very nice
cool.gif

Warning about a smaller bike for ya. When you get on a smaller bike, it's hard to get used to after coming off of a Busa. The smaller bikes just aren't as stable, and it can be a little un-nerving at first. Once you're okay with the bike being a little twitchy, they're a blast.

I'm just now getting some confidence in my 600, although in my heart I know that it will do more than I am capable of right now.

Did you ever do lap times?

Yeah, I rented an R6 a couple track days ago. It was scary as hell b/c the thing felt like it wanted to fall over. I don't think my R6 had a steering damper cuz it seemed to headshake pretty easy and at will. But the thing is nimble as hell and I was able to get a knee down without trying.

Just like VMan sez, We track boys ought to get together at one of tracks and ride. Miller Motorsports Park anyone?

Back