Rear Handrail

techbum

Registered
I know some of you run the rear hump and some the rear seat & handrail.......but I would like to pose a question to see if anyone thinks there is a difference in bike handling or characteristics running one or the other. Bear with me here......Does the rear handrail add stiffness to the rear of the bike(hence acting as a brace of some sort)? Or does it make no difference whatsoever? Just curious what some of you think............Personally.....I can't tell one way or the other(I've tried both). But I'm no "pro" rider either. Does it just boil down to aesthetics?

It is not just for aesthetics. It keeps your passenger from flying off the back of the bike on acceleration and ramming you into the windshield on hard braking.
smile.gif

Makes NO difference other than add a couple of pounds to your tail... The Grab rail and actually the entire rear subframe serves as little more than a place to park your ass, secure a fender, etc. Especially the tail end of the Subframe just doesn't do much...

Oh that handrail might provide a little downforce though... Right around 11-1200MPH... Very Handy...
laugh.gif

As for the Hump VS the Handrail and seat? In theory the hump cleans up airflow enough to give you those few extra MPH above 180 or so... FWIW...

I've made runs to 170+ with the seat/bar and with the hump both, never thought about it. Apparently if there is a difference I didn't notice. It would obviously be more aerodymamic with the hump. Wife wants hump on when I'm riding alone so no errant female types jump on.....not that it would ever happen.....
wink.gif

IMO the rear grab bar looks good with the hump mod, especially chromed.  
With the rear seat installed the Busa looks like too much like other sportbikes (side view)

<!--EDIT|drlucian
Reason for Edit: None given...|1099437767 -->

cactus_busa2blur.jpg

OK Fair eneough Dr... But uh... are those reflectors I see....
mad.gif

Revlis,
Believe it or Not I think the Sissy Bar/Homogolated Aluminum
Mini Wing makes a little bit of difference with the stiffness.
I used to lose my lenscovers when I would hit a twistie.

Plus it is cool because you don't have to take it on and off with changing to passenger mode. I'll put some pics of mine up.

As long as you take your time (using Dremel) to remove only what needs to be removed you will have a decent water resistant seal too.

Polisight the bar is tedious, so far ot has been the hardest part to get mirror smooth.

Cool, I'm glad Im not the only one of few who has done it.

Roy

OK Fair eneough Dr... But uh...  are those reflectors I see....
mad.gif
LOL a buddy of mine still had his reflectors on after about 2 months and I told him he wasn't allowed to bringit over anymore until he removed them. Next day they were gone, I told him that I was just kidding and he said it looked better without them.

I did the grabrail hump mod simply for ease of lifting the rear on the stand. Plus I kinda like the look. Polishing it is a whole nother story.

laugh.gif
Ah Thats better...  

Seriously though guys, it's the freaking grab handle for the pillion.  That is all it is.  

It's not a "Wing" no matter how bad you want it to be.  Lemme guess, you "Hump Mod" lovers dig the big "wings" on the little import tuners dont Ya...  

laugh.gif
Ah Thats better...  

Seriously though guys, it's the freaking grab handle for the pillion.  That is all it is.  

It's not a "Wing" no matter how bad you want it to be.  Lemme guess, you "Hump Mod" lovers dig the big "wings" on the little import tuners dont Ya...  
Those are wings? Hell, I always thought they were lawn mower handles?

Rev is right, the grabrail is exactly that. A grabrail. Gives rider something aside from you to grab onto while riding. Some like the look with the hump on and some don't. Personal opinion. Thats the whole point of a cosmetic mod, so that your ride is more pleasing to YOUR eyes.

laugh.gif
Ah Thats better...  

Actually Rev,

I hate those stupid wings, always reminds me of a place to hang my clothes
smile.gif

But, I am guilty of the hump mod, I like how it makes swapping between the seat and hump so quick, and it is a nice spot for a bungee net when I have to carry something.

SO THERE
tounge.gif

tounge.gif

tounge.gif

Hey DR,

Is that a centerstand I see?

Ps
quickest reflector removal I've ever seen
biggrin.gif

Yes that's the centerstand. It's ugly but it's good to know that the bike is sitting safely on the centerstand when parked in public. That's another thing the grab bar is good for: pulling the bike up onto it's centerstand, it's not as easy as you'd think for such a light bike. The subframe's plastic fairing flexes when you pull up on it at the proper place.
My bar is not polished but chromed, I got it from this guy
on Ebay, he does decent work.

<!--EDIT|drlucian
Reason for Edit: None given...|1099547179 -->

I heard the aerodynamic affect cuts down your ET's.........Thats why I did it....................................................................KIDDING
Again just for ease of putting it on the rear stand is why I did it.

Yes that's the centerstand. It's ugly but it's good to know that the bike is sitting safely on the centerstand when parked in public. That's another thing the grab bar is good for: pulling the bike up onto it's centerstand, it's not as easy as you'd think for such a light bike. The subframe's plastic fairing flexes when you pull up on it at the proper place.
My bar is not polished but chromed, I got it from this guy
on Ebay, he does decent work.
Hmm, Interesting Center stand... I had heard a rumor of such a thing being available...

Now I am sure you know but just in case, if you reach inside the Cutout in your tail on the stand side of the bike you will feel a metal bar. That bar is there specifically to help you... Ummm.... Get it up Doc.

Now... About them reflectors....

Back