Busa's rear brakes not as good as other bikes?

umairhashmi

Registered
How do a 2006 busa's stock rear brake compared to those of other bikes? This is the only motorcycle i have ever owned so i cant say how it feels compared to the others but i barely notice ANY difference in braking whether if i only use the front or both.Although the MSF has drilled the rear pedal so hard into me that i end up pressing the rear instinctively.
What do you guys think? Possible that something is wrong with my rears?

Rear brake?? What the heck is that
rock.gif

laugh.gif

This is like tires, oil, etc... there are many opinions that differ and the debate can rage on forever.

My opinion. I don't use it. It provides very very little of your total braking power(on a Busa or sportbike) and the risk of using it improperly is high. If you lock up the rear(easy to do), it fishtails behind you, if you let go of the rear brake and its not directly behind you, highside time, up up up in the air you go. If you lock up the rear, better to keep it locked until you stop.

If you use the rear brake, then PRACTICE emergency/panic stopping often, very often. Otherwise, someday, you might be flying instead of riding
winkold.gif

As a note, we all should be practicing emergency/panic stopping often, no matter what our braking style is.

Rear brake??  What the heck is that
rock.gif

laugh.gif

This is like tires, oil, etc...  there are many opinions that differ and the debate can rage on forever.

My opinion.  I don't use it.  It provides very very little of your total braking power(on a Busa or sportbike) and the risk of using it improperly is high.  If you lock up the rear(easy to do), it fishtails behind you, if you let go of the rear brake and its not directly behind you, highside time, up up up in the air you go.  If you lock up the rear, better to keep it locked until you stop.

If you use the rear brake, then PRACTICE emergency/panic stopping often, very often.  Otherwise, someday, you might be flying instead of riding  
winkold.gif
You know its just hard to NOT use it because i did my msf in jan 06 and bought the bike a week later.Over 2 years and 10k miles of riding has just DRILLED it into my mind to hit BOTH brakes at the same time.
However when i use only the front on purpose i dont notice any difference at all.So im wondering why do i use the rear if its not helping me stop faster u know?

I use it but I've trained pretty hard to use it correctly. Fact is, though, you have to train for front usage too, it's just easier.

--Wag--

I prefer a weak back brake as i only realy use it as a virtul brake when over cooking bends. I belive its a mental thing that helps you with your confidience. because you belive you are braking but your foot is only tickling the brake.

OR MAYBE IM JUST A WEIRDO

dunno.gif
dunno.gif

dunno.gif

If your brakes are working properly then there's no reason that the rear shouldn't help AT ALL. Maybe not nearly as much as the front, but the laws of motion and friction will tell you that if you apply friction to the rear brake, it's going to slow you down. How much, is another question, but I would have to say that if the brakes are working properly, the rear WILL help you slow down faster. It's simple logic. But as for how much it helps. . . Who knows. I know I can tell a difference on mine.

I can feel my rear brake working, its got a little bite. I also ride a 06 zx6r(moms) every now and then. It feels like the busa's rear has a little more bite.

Rear brake??  What the heck is that
rock.gif

laugh.gif

This is like tires, oil, etc...  there are many opinions that differ and the debate can rage on forever.

My opinion.  I don't use it.  It provides very very little of your total braking power(on a Busa or sportbike) and the risk of using it improperly is high.  If you lock up the rear(easy to do), it fishtails behind you, if you let go of the rear brake and its not directly behind you, highside time, up up up in the air you go.  If you lock up the rear, better to keep it locked until you stop.

If you use the rear brake, then PRACTICE emergency/panic stopping often, very often.  Otherwise, someday, you might be flying instead of riding  
winkold.gif
Words of a wise man!
thumb_up.gif

I can tell you from past experience that even a light touch on the rear brake at the wrong time can cause you to haul your beloved busa home in boxes. It happened to me in 2003 on a new busa, only three months old. Now, I use the rear brake so little, the rotor gets rusty.

CharlesBusa is a very wise and well schooled busa fan. You can learn much if you pay attention to his posts.

Thanks Tufbusa, I'm not always right. But I try to share what I know and learn more in the process
thumb_up.gif

Okay what about at high speeds (over 100)? is it a good idea for the rear brake at that point in time? How gentle should you be with it?

To me,the rear brake is adequate, it will lock up if you don't modulate it correctly. The front brakes are what I have issues with.

I thought that I was hardly using my back brake until I had to change the pads at 7,000 miles. (alot of 2-up) The only time I use them now is for red lights, and stop signs ?? I remember people always saying the Busa had horrible brakes, I don't know if they were talking about the rear, or all around ?

I have always used the rear brake.It may not seem like it helps much but, it just may keep you from running into a little old lady pulling out in front of you.
beerchug.gif

wow my buddy and i last year myrtle beach he was on a 07 1400 and i was on a 06 limited pulled out of a parking lot at night, a car cut us off we both hit a crack in the road he is a front brake person he flipped over on his bike, is bike just stood there, he slide about 30 ft road rash ... i always break simultaneously, just seems that if you tap the back breaks thats all you need to slow it down a little. the rear is where the torque is and the rear is the least weight,anyway good topic
lurk.gif

Suggest some trail riding or flat tracking with a dirt bike to learn the physics involved with a bike when the rear end is hanging out. Suggest staying off trails with cinders, if you go down it takes a long time for cinders to work their way up to the surface of your skin so you can cut/pick them out.

I always apply rear brake first to set the chassis then the front as required & add more rear if necessary.

Obviously I do not share in the "no rear brake" philosophy & for me the Busa could use a better rear brake.

WIth the exception of broad sideing a cage when I was splitting lanes in stopped traffic I have not gone over the top to date. I was younger & smarter then.

Rear brake?? What the heck is that
rock.gif

laugh.gif

This is like tires, oil, etc... there are many opinions that differ and the debate can rage on forever.

My opinion. I don't use it. It provides very very little of your total braking power(on a Busa or sportbike) and the risk of using it improperly is high. If you lock up the rear(easy to do), it fishtails behind you, if you let go of the rear brake and its not directly behind you, highside time, up up up in the air you go. If you lock up the rear, better to keep it locked until you stop.

If you use the rear brake, then PRACTICE emergency/panic stopping often, very often. Otherwise, someday, you might be flying instead of riding
winkold.gif
Here, here
beerchug.gif

I dont think I can even add to that......

When I recommend brake pads, I usually suggest a stock replacement, NOT HH pads for that very reason. The standard EBC63's work great. No need for even a n after market rear line.

14K on mine and the rear brakes are still 80% Guess I use the engine more than the brake to slow down the back half..
Fronts still have about 30% of the lining left.... (waiting on Gixerhp for my front pads)

I think most rear brakes are designed not to be too aggressive... to prevent lock up as much as possible. Try the frnt-rear combo

Back