Rear caliper loose, Normal?

Lubejobs42

Registered
My new bike has a C&S single sided swingarn. The rear caliper is loose. It can move back and forth about 1/2 an inch. There is a pin on the swingarn that goes through the caliper munt. The slot for the pin appears to be deisgned for the mount to move back and forth. I would assume the caliper would need to be mounted so it can't move but i'm not sure if the slot is there for some kind of adjustment. I can't see any bolts loose or missing but there is so much stuff in the way, there could be.
I called and emailed C&S since Friday but there is no answer.
Anyone familiar with this? I'm afraid to ride my new bike! :banghead:

caliper mount.jpg

caliper mount 2.jpg

I am not familar with your swingarm at all, but I cant imagine why a brake cailper would move.....I have always known them to be stationary.

I just searched this topic before starting a new thread on the exact same issue...

I have a Gen2 busa with OEM swingarm. I just completed changing all my OEM brake/clutch lines to Galfer SS. Last step, torque the banjo bolt on the rear caliper. I noticed the rear caliper sorta seems to float back and forth laterally. There are some rubber covers on the mount bolts that seem to have baffles/ribbing like they might be designed to expand and contract with movement...

Is the OEM rear brake caliper supposed to move left to right a bit like mine does? ...or is something ready to fall off?
(nope, I didn't even try to turn the mounting bolts yet.)

If pics are needed, just ask. I will shoot some

Every thing you have is after market, as for the slot, that is there for chain adjustment, to move the wheel back and forth.
Now if the hanger is moving on the pin, is just moving side to side, or is moving with the direction of the wheel bearings?

If it is moving with the bearings, and not side to side, it is ok!

Every thing you have is after market,
Yup, I'm totally into it. My other bike has about 5K$ in aftermarket stuff which is more than what the bike would sell for, I'm sure. I'm going the same way with the busa (might as well, can't afford any of the new bikes.)

If it is moving with the bearings, and not side to side, it is ok!

It is definitely side to side but not much...maybe an eighth inch??. Look at this pic and imagine the force being exerted by the wrench. The caliper moves with the wrench leverage, sliding on the mounting bolts to the left and right. I just went out and I was able to do the same with my hands placed on the left and right sides of the caliper housing. It slides left to right a bit....NOT solidly mounted.
rmvrrclprbnjo.jpg

Normal?

That caliper in these pics, is mounted on slides, it is fine!
Yup, I'm totally into it. My other bike has about 5K$ in aftermarket stuff which is more than what the bike would sell for, I'm sure. I'm going the same way with the busa (might as well, can't afford any of the new bikes.)

It is definitely side to side but not much...maybe an eighth inch??. Look at this pic and imagine the force being exerted by the wrench. The caliper moves with the wrench leverage, sliding on the mounting bolts to the left and right. I just went out and I was able to do the same with my hands placed on the left and right sides of the caliper housing. It slides left to right a bit....NOT solidly mounted.
rmvrrclprbnjo.jpg

Normal?

Cool. Thought so but my intuition has been wrong before, Always best to ask. Thanks once again, GIXERHP.:bigsmile:

Call the manufacturer. They should be happy to answer this question. It looks to me like that would only allow the caliper to be raised. For different size rotors probably. It doesn't allow the caliper to move before it locks down during breaking?

Back