Bleeding the rear caliper

night_ryder

Registered
Ok, i have bleed the brakes on the rear caliper several times. In those several times, i have pumped the brakes a few times then held the brake and then bleed the brake. Then when i thought i wasn't getting anywhere with that i pressed on the brakes slowly while bleeding the brakes until the brake was held all the way down, then tight the bleeder screw.
After, doing the two different ways my brakes feel the same. What do i do know, will it eventually start working after i keep bleeding the brakes several more times or am in doing all wrong?
What i ever i need to do different or more please tell me because i'm confused at this point.

you have to pump the heck out of them.

Open the bleed valve. Make sure you have plenty of fluid in the reservoir.

Just pump until fluid flows out the bleed valve. Close, add fluid and do it again. Should come up. You can pump the pedal and get more air to flow back through the reservoir.

hogger..

Do the same, but this time crack the banjo bolt instead of the bleeder screw. That usually gets all the air out. Crack the banjo bolt just as you would the bleeder screw. Might need two hands but it works. This also works for your other lines just a little messy but it works.

<!--EDIT|GPW
Reason for Edit: None given...|1151529978 -->

won't more air get into the lines if i pump the brake while the bleeder screw is open?
what is the banjo bolt? never heard of that

Do you have a clear length of tubing for over the bleed nipple. As long as there is fluid in the tube then no bubbles will travel back up into your system.

1. Remove reservoir cap, remove old fluid with a syringe and top up with new.
2. Put clear tubing onto nipple.
3. Pump lever so that its hard.
4. Push down on lever and loosen nipple so fluid flows out, keep pushing down on lever.
5. Tighten nipple.
6. Pump lever so it gets hard again. Go to No 4 and repeat process.

Keep doing this until the clear fluid flows through with no bubbles. It might take a while. Remember to refill the reservoir. Do not open the banjos. You need a little resistance in your lines for it to work properly. In fact when you loosen the nipple, you should only do it a little so as to leave a little bit of resistance. If you are putting in new lines it might take a little longer.

Reactions: Zee
Do you have a clear length of tubing for over the bleed nipple. As long as there is fluid in the tube then no bubbles will travel back up into your system.

1. Remove reservoir cap, remove old fluid with a syringe and top up with new.
2. Put clear tubing onto nipple.
3. Pump lever so that its hard.
4. Push down on lever and loosen nipple so fluid flows out, keep pushing down on lever.
5. Tighten nipple.
6. Pump lever so it gets hard again. Go to No 4 and repeat process.

Keep doing this until the clear fluid flows through with no bubbles. It might take a while. Remember to refill the reservoir. Do not open the banjos. You need a little resistance in your lines for it to work properly. In fact when you loosen the nipple, you should only do it a little so as to leave a little bit of resistance. If you are putting in new lines it might take a little longer.
+1

I'm just wondering exactly how long it takes I replaced the rear brake caliper I've been using the vacuum pump and I used Teflon tape around the threads of the bleeder valve. I've been working on this for 2 days for about a total of 6 hours I finally have some pressure but it doesn't start breaking until I'm three quarters of the way downwards on the pedal. I use the vacuum bleeder the last couple hours of bleeding I manually bled the brakes. I'm unable to get them back where they were before

I'm just wondering exactly how long it takes I replaced the rear brake caliper I've been using the vacuum pump and I used Teflon tape around the threads of the bleeder valve. I've been working on this for 2 days for about a total of 6 hours I finally have some pressure but it doesn't start breaking until I'm three quarters of the way downwards on the pedal. I use the vacuum bleeder the last couple hours of bleeding I manually bled the brakes. I'm unable to get them back where they were before
Bleeding a rear brake takes seconds if not minutes normally...I wonder if your rear master cylinder is the culprit? Seals wear out on those as well and it sure sounds as though this might be the case.

The reservoir is pretty tiny, you have to be careful the power of a vacuum pump isn't overwhelming the fluid in the MC and causing an air pocket. Try bleeding it without the vacuum pump (old school) and see it if builds pressure...if not, I'd be delving into your rear MC.

I bled the old school well yesterday and got it to build a little bit of pressure I'm no longer getting any air out of it so it may be the master cylinder

Back