rear caliper fell off!

scooterlord

Registered
well, wtf, i've lost bolts several times before but this time really sucked. I was going on a fast ride and wanted to fix my line while leaning so i stepped on the rear brake. I stepped on it several times and nothing happened. when I got back home and checked the whole damn rear caliper had fallen off place. the two bolts that hold it on swingarm the just fell off - and I wonder, could such a thing happen by vibrations? hopefully the caliper was held by that other metal thing.
and hopefully nothing bad happened...

anyone SUZUKI greece SUCKS. they don't have  a pair of damn bolts and have to wait for 10 days till i get em. luckily I got a pair by a gixxer 1000 that seem to match just until i get the busa genuines.

anyway, I tried to put the caliper back on and I am not able to put the pads aside to put it on. looks like the pad that is on the outside of the caliper is stuck - looks like the piston is stuck? the actual pad is very loose...

I called someone in order to ask but tells me it needs to be taken apart, replace fluids, etc. I don't trust him though and there's noone else better to help me out (damn greeks in such matters) so here I am. help me out guys, what can I do? the pads looks also worn and need to be replaced. haven't searched for that in the forum, do I need any special tools? i am sooo pissed with this, please help me out asap

Loosen both bleeder screws, Take a large screwdriver insert between the pads and twist/pry them apart (remember the fluid will come out of the bleeders) Now remove old pads and install new ones, remount the caliper to bike, press down on pedal a few times then fill fluid up, Bleed the system of all air, top off fluid and your done!

Use some loctite on the bolt threads, just a little and torque them to 19 lb./ft. each
super.gif

well, hm, i am gonna try this with your help guys (again), since it's my first time.

05busale, here we go:
a)first of all do I necessarily have to take the tail plastics off or is there another way around this?
b) which are the bleeder screws? (LOL) sorry but I thought there was only one bleeder screw and that's on the top front side of the rear caliper?
c) have no idea on chaning brake pads, by looking at the manual i have to take off some pins and springs. do i need any special tools?
d)lastly, after I fill the fluids after pads are installed how do i bleed air? stepping on the brake and refilling?

sorry guys, I am irrelevant but want to do this, hate trusting people I hate to trust :/ but hey! managed to change oils myself, coolant fluids (incl bleeding), change headlights, take the whole thing apart and then back on so I trust with a little help I can do this. Busale or anyone else, help me out!
smile.gif

btw thanks for the quick replies

A. The resevior for the rear brake is under the tail section behind the seat on the right side... If you have a funnel, you don't have to take the tail completely off, but it does make it alot easier.
B. There is only one bleeder port on the caliper itself.
C. Once you take the black plastic cover off the bottom of the caliper, you will see the spings and pins... it is not complicated.
D. Bleeding the brakes is just a process of getting all of the air out of the system. I don't think you need to drain and flush the system, you will just need to get the air out caused by opening the bleeder port to reset the pad position. You are just presurizing the system and allowing fluid to drain from the port until you see good fluid with no air bubbles.

If it was that way for any time and you were hitting the brakes the way that you say you were, you should check and ensure that the caliper housing isn't gouged up, the the rotor is not damaged, that the TQ arm is not bent and that the rim wasn't contacted in any way.

Just my .02

thanks mc mustang!
smile.gif
this is really helpful. today's saturday, so first chance I get, prolly this monday i'll try to do everything myself (i don't have any dot4 fluid). I'll let you guys know how it went.

caliper housing looks ok, rotor looks straight and the arm seems to be ok. as for the wheel, tire changers have already beat me to damaging the wheel. I wanna kill them bastards
guns.gif

No problem - BTW - I really like the fact that you choose the best stock color scheme for your 3D render -
That is awesome!

P1010108__Medium_.JPG

(scooterlord @ Feb. 24 2007,10:49) well my bike was  this color before I crashed and had it painted.. ;)
Who repaired your bike after you "crashed"? Perhaps its time to thoroughly check ALL the bolts?
wink.gif

well it's been waaaay too long since that happened and was very thorough about it. I am almost certain that the guy that replaced my chain forgot to put some kind of special glue he was supposed to on the bolts..

áí åéóáé áèçíá ìðïñù íá âïçèçóù áõñéï ðñùé ïìùò
beerchug.gif

thanks for the offer micbusathens, but currently am not. used to be in athens for four years, lived in aigalew, not I ended up back in drama. while in athens I took the bike to pissaris, located in varimpompi, trusted him. what was that you could help me with though?
smile.gif

(scooterlord @ Feb. 24 2007,14:11) well it's been waaaay too long since that happened and was very thorough about it. I am almost certain that the guy that replaced my chain forgot to put some kind of special glue he was supposed to on the bolts..
A little dab of loctite (assuming you have that out there) and a torque wrench.

loctiteProducts.jpg

torque wrench....uhm not possible
tounge.gif
here the 'professionals' just have the knowledge NOT to use all the power available in their hands to tighten stuff, as for the rest.. tighten as much as you can... damn lamers here in greece. it's one of the reasons I hate 'modern' greece... I mean everything started in ancient greece, maths, astronomy, physics.. and modern greeks just suck..

we could do the the whole work together drinking coffee in my garage as I own a busa 03 midnight black and I do many things by myself by the fear of the mecanics

post_6_29601_HAYA_2003_BLE.jpg

cool color! hey, looks like we, all greeks, share the same fears. hey micbusa I have a good friend of mine that owns a busa and lives in glyfada and he loves meeting bikers 'n'stuff. maybe you want to meet him... and me sometime in the future
smile.gif
he has the 05 silver-blue.. he's 33 and i am 26 btw

(micbusathens @ Feb. 24 2007,14:42) we could do the the whole work together drinking coffee in my garage as I own a busa 03 midnight black and I do many things by myself by the fear of the mecanics
That is the best way to get maintenance done!
beerchug.gif

try to buy a Haynes guide an you will get rid of all those malakes.pantos mi mas kanis robes tha akoyne ellada ke tha...pios xeri ti

Back