Rear brakes

PaNDeM1C

Your Disease.....
Donating Member
Registered
Just today I actually applied my rear brake alone (without using the front) and it SUCKS! It has NO stopping power at all. I have heard the busa rear brakes are crappy, but today I could see they are even MORE THAN CRAPPY! They're horrible!

It it ok to keep the brakes as they are in the rear or does anyone here recommend some type of upgrade?

Just curious about what others have done around here to their rear brakes... if anything. Thanks.

rock.gif

<!--EDIT|BiG-T
Reason for Edit: None given...|1151455914 -->

Upgrade your lines and the pads (front and rear) to stainless lines and HH pads and you'll see a marked difference.

Just today I actually applied my rear brake alone (without using the front) and it SUCKS! It has NO stopping power at all. I have heard the busa rear brakes are crappy, but today I could see they are even MORE THAN CRAPPY! They're horrible!

It it ok to keep the brakes as they are in the rear or does anyone here recommend some type of upgrade?

Just curious about what others have done around here to their rear brakes... if anything. Thanks.
A simple adjustement of the lever may be all you'll need. The next check would be to bleed the rear line to be sure there is no air in it. If you want to sure up stopping with your rear switch to a braided line and or HH or Sintered pads. If that does not fix your problem upgrade your rotor to one that bites a little more like a Galfer wave, EBC or the like. I do want to caution you, the rear brake should be on the soft side. Not so soft that it is useless but it should not bite with light application. Once you make your adjustments take some time to get use to the new grab before going balls to the wall. Also engine breaking is the way to go...Just my 2C.

<!--EDIT|GPW
Reason for Edit: None given...|1151461147 -->

I use engine braking and light front braking with the rear brake all the way down. I was just curious because my rear brake "works" but if you use it alone, it's pretty much useless. I'm stopping fine but was wondering if my rear brake had a problem or if it was normal. I guess it's normal.

Maybe you already know this, but

You should be using almost all front brake for stopping. During braking almost all the weight of the bike is transfered to the front tire. This renders the rear brake almost useless. All a better rear brake is going to do is lock up your rear.

Use the Front's more as intended, the rear at the best of times is about useless but a good bleeding will probably help. The front's are where it's at, you really increase your rear brakes bite and power and you're going to just be locking it up... To much weight transfers forward when stopping for the rear to EVER be relied upon for any real stopping power.

you might want to check your pedal travel also.

Set a small level on your footpeg.

Measure your distance from the bottom of the level to the brake pedal.

Should be between 2.2 and 2.6 inches.

As rear pads wear so does the amount of travel in the pedal. Should be an easy fix. Check pad wear and fluid level also.

I set mine up as to really stomp hard to get the rear wheel to lock. What other members have suggested are all good ideas.

Upgrading brakes is one of the first modifactions that should be done. It's not cheap but the end results are worth the money spent.

hogger...

I use the rear for trail braking into the corners. I like that it doesn't want to lock up at the slightest touch of the pedal.

Maybe you already know this, but

You should be using almost all front brake for stopping.  During braking almost all the weight of the bike is transfered to the front tire.  This renders the rear brake almost useless.  All a better rear brake is going to do is lock up your rear.
+1!!!

Charles and Myself do track days and almost 100% of your braking is done with the front. Some track guys never use it (the rear that is). Some apply just a little before the hairpin stuff. B/c 70% stopping power is front and 30% is rear. If you want better brakes, upgrade your front lines to a Galfer Steel Braided line and your brake pads to the EBC HH. Ten times better than stock. And you'll actually pull off stoppies on a busa b/c the braking power is increased.

<!--EDIT|gtrpimp76
Reason for Edit: None given...|1151678327 -->

+1 what revlis said.

erm, I meant Charles.

ok, both of 'em. use yr front a lot more.

Back