Rear Brakes

So it worked ok until you bled it and changed pads? Or you did that trying to fix it?

I did all of that trying to fix it... Was riding when i lost all power to rear brakes... front brakes work jus fine...

@DemmyM i checked braked fluid and all is fine

If it's not leaking, and is bled right it sounds like the caliper may be seized. Can you remove the caliper and and see if you can compress the piston?

However, if the caliper is stuck/seized, I would think the pedal would be solid. Some things are hard to diagnose without being there. If it's bled right and has no leaks, it really only leaves the caliper, especially since it just happened when riding.
If it is stuck, at least it didn't stick closed.

If the brake pedal is going all the way down and the reservoir is full make sure there is nothing clogging the line also

I doubt it's the caliper. If there is no risistance on the pedal and the caliper is not leaking it has to do with your master cylinder or air in the line.

If the master cylinder reservor had fluid up half way when it went flat then it's most likely your master cylinder.

If you open the bleed valve and push the pedal all the way down, do you get any fluid or bubbles out the valve?

I doubt it's the caliper. If there is no risistance on the pedal and the caliper is not leaking it has to do with your master cylinder or air in the line.

If the master cylinder reservor had fluid up half way when it went flat then it's most likely your master cylinder.

If you open the bleed valve and push the pedal all the way down, do you get any fluid or bubbles out the valve?

I thought about that too, but if it's not leaking or clogged, I don't know what else could be wrong with the master cylinder.

@TUFBUSA I get fluid when i open the bleed valve..

I will troubleshoot again tomorrow, and see if i can fix the problem

If you get fluid when you press the brake but no pedal at all, it's most likely air in the system. You may have to remove the caliper and hold it up higher than the reservor in order to get it bled properly. Air don't move down hill very well and it can be a b i o t c h to get the air out without lifting the caliper above the reservor in order to get all the air to the bleed valve.

Do you have a gen1? There is TWO bleed nipples on the rear caliper of a gen1, couldn't tell you about a gen2.

cheers
ken

If the OP did this to fix the problem, sound like the Master cyclinder needs to be reguilt/replaced.

Possible that the piston seal in the master cylinder is shot.

If the OP did this to fix the problem, sound like the Master cyclinder needs to be reguilt/replaced.

Possible that the piston seal in the master cylinder is shot.

I like his answer...

When u bleed: do u get a squirt squirt squirt or is fluid just kinda lazy coming out?

The 2 nipples in the rear is also something to look at.

Bubbles don't fall down-very true-mighty vac can help. If there is a bubble stuck at a junction, fluid may pass.. performance will still suck..

But in the end start at the front, work your way back.. if the peddle has ZERO pressure, really easy to move, and SOME fluid is being pushed out when u bleed.. master cylinder is bad...

Remove the caliper, remove the pads visually check that the piston moves out when u push the peddle. If its leaking its gonna be covered in grime.

I'll check the manual.. if my phone opens the pdf today.. and see if there is a proper way to check the psi the master is supposed to be operating at.

Good luck.. while your in your down time.. Google rebuilding the master, if its possible..

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

Hours later.. it didn't mention any psi but it does cover assembly, disassembly(that might not be a word or spelled correctly) of the master.. so its rebuildable..

Keep us posted...

I like his answer...

When u bleed: do u get a squirt squirt squirt or is fluid just kinda lazy coming out?

The 2 nipples in the rear is also something to look at.

Bubbles don't fall down-very true-mighty vac can help. If there is a bubble stuck at a junction, fluid may pass.. performance will still suck..

But in the end start at the front, work your way back.. if the peddle has ZERO pressure, really easy to move, and SOME fluid is being pushed out when u bleed.. master cylinder is bad...

Remove the caliper, remove the pads visually check that the piston moves out when u push the peddle. If its leaking its gonna be covered in grime.

I'll check the manual.. if my phone opens the pdf today.. and see if there is a proper way to check the psi the master is supposed to be operating at.

Good luck.. while your in your down time.. Google rebuilding the master, if its possible..

You should be able to get a kit to rebuild the master cyclinder.

All you should need (shor of the wrenches to remove it with) is a pair of snap ring pliers and a very small, fine grade cylinder hone. If you are mechanically inclined enough to change the brakes, you can do this it is not hard.

Like others said...does it squirt out with the bleeder valve open and depressing the pedal? If it does then it should be the caliper is stuck.

Back