Brakes (rear)

Justyntym

The Pessimistic Optimist
Donating Member
Registered
Replacing the pads on front and rear.

Front is done piece of cake.

Now of course, any and every project must have a snafu moment.

So here it is, got the rear pads off. But the pad pistons wont budge. The front just pushed in easy. Don't really want to try bleeding the brakes (unless necessary) didn't buy any extra brake fluid.

Am I missing something or just some more wheaties and give it another shot?

BTW - front pads had plenty of pad left (Upgrading to the ebc pads) but the rear is shot. Still some pad left but not much. I guess I use the rear way to much.
crazy.gif

no
rock.gif

I didn't remove the front so I didn't think it mattered for the rear. But I will...

(Justyntym @ Nov. 19 2006,13:00) no
rock.gif

I didn't remove the front so I didn't think it mattered for the rear. But I will...
Don't know for sure, but I've always heard it was bad if you didn't remove the covers.
Could be wrong, but I always do on bikes and cars.
You could have not been able to get it because you were building up preasure by trying to push the pistons without relieving preasure through the cover.

Tried removing the cover, no go.

These things wont BUDGE.  
pissed.gif

...it's always something.

(Justyntym @ Nov. 19 2006,13:13) Tried removing the cover, no go.

These things wont BUDGE.
pissed.gif

...it's always something.
That was my only suggestion, unless you want to eat more wheaties or you can take all apart and rebuild the calipier.

Good luck either way.

If you can apply the brake with the foot brake and the wheel turns after its reliesed there isn't anything wrong with the sys! Like a siezed puck etc. The puck just needs to be pushed back in and the caliper centered. You do know the caliper need NOT be removed to R&R the pads! Right
rock.gif
beerchug.gif

Yeah everything is still on the bike, I just dropped the pads out. I know nothing is wrong with the brakes.

Guess I just need some more mustard. Front ones just went in really easy.

Ok caliper won't center
rock.gif
I'm off here! Is both pucks moving freely? If not and the b fluid hasen't been refreshed with DOT 4 or better you may have a bit of shmeg in there that won't let it retract all the way. And will cause the pads to drag . Not a good thing.

Neither side has not moved one bit.

Not sure of the specifics of term "centering" in relation to the pucks but they seem in the right place.

Kinda weird huh?
rock.gif

If you say the brakes applied and released allowing the wheel to turn freely or bike rolled with no extra effort ! it sounds like you just not pryin on the rite spot. I use a thin flat tip screw driver between the pad and rotor. Applying a firm amount of pressure will push the puck back. they move slowly but get there. pry one back at a time and slide the new pad in the slot, cause the pryin of the other will just extend the just pryed one.

I just did mine last night and i noticed the rear was a little harder. Here's what I did. I loosened the cover on the rear brake fluid resivoir, then put the handle of a pipe wrench (only because it was the right size to just fit)between the pistons then twisted. Like I said, the rear was surely more difficult than the front, but still doable.

Kev

And if you have filled up your reservoir at some point, pushing the pucks back i'm sure you know will cause it to overflow, has to come out the vent, will cause you to pry like heck and sure make a mess of your paint or anything it gets on.

(8Daytona8 @ Nov. 19 2006,14:06) How many miles on a busa B4 they get close to being worn out?
I have 15000 on mine and they looked to be a little more than half gone. There was a tremendous difference though when I installed the new pads.

Kevin

try removing the rear caliper use a c clamp and the old pad to get them to retract , a big set of channel locks will do about the same

I use a screwdriver and the old pad with the caliper bolted on to compress the piston
In other words its the first thing to do -- compress piston then begin changeout
also if your fluid is low -- it probably because your pads need changing -- do not add fliud or you will make a huge mess when you change em (a week later)

Done and on, the C clamp did the trick. Thanks guys
super.gif

Now I get to see what all the ranting and raving is about the ebc bakes are about.
biggrin.gif

Back