Changing front and rear brake pads..

edcop

Banned
I just bought some new front and rear brake pads for my 08 busa.

On a scale of 1 to 10 how easy is it to install brake pads? Is it easier than bleeding the brakes?

I have never changed pads myself before.

1 not a mechanic, just watch what you do and how things go on disassembly and reassembly is easy.

Haven't changed them on my Gen II yet but on the Gen I it was easy a few springs/ clips that have to be put back in right.

1 caliper at a time. A large flatblade screwdriver gently twisted between the old pads to compress the pistons completely before installing the new pads. Brakeclean on a rag(if you spray it, it can go where you don't want it to and eat paint)to wipe the pad and rotor surface as well as any dust and grime in the caliper.
Remember to pump the lever and pedal several times when you're done too!!! If not, you'll have no brakes on your first ride.:laugh:
A small amount of locktite on caliper bolts isn't a bad idea either.

Sorry I don't know your mechanical abilities, but don't touch the rotors with anything he was using the screwdriver after the calipers are removed. Torque wrench would be nice to have, over torque these light metals is expensive, great advice above.

Easy peasy! Do you have the shop manual? If not, download it.
Take your time, read the instructions, realize the pads are a set and side specific. DO NOT Depress the brake lever when the pads are out. You may have to spread the piston in the caliper to make space for the new pads to fit properly. Your best bet is to have someone there with you that has done it before for guidance and support. If I can do it, anyone can! You may want to bleed the lines after the new pads.

No need to bleed lines after a pad change. There is no way for air to enter the system when changing pads.:beerchug:

Thanks for the great advice guys.
I am glad I don't have to bleed the brakes again, I just changed brake fluid last week.

Check out these videos. "Brake Pads Install- Sportbike Upgrades (Parts 1&2)" Very detailed; plus he's showing "how to" on a Suzuki (not a Busa though) :)

- Brake Pads Install- Sportbike Upgrades[/url].

You will see part 2, after part 1 is finished.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another old post I'm goinG to bump.. I can't get the new pads in the rear caliper, can someone tell me what I do with the double looking cotter keys ? I pulled it out already, but the two pins still hold the brake pad in place. What do I do to the pin in order to get pads out? I assume just reinstall the cotter key when im done.. Thanks

Back