Rear brake

Had the same problem, put EBC hh pabs on. Problem solved!
wink.gif

Hi guys!  Thanks for all the comments.  Rubbersidedown knows what he is talking about.  I agree that 90% of braking is in the front but there are times, as in trail braking, that you need a good rear brake.  I'm not new to riding and have about 600,000 miles under my butt.  However, when buying a performance bike, like the Busa, one should expect performance brakes at both ends.  The rear tire is not just for acceleration and holding speed.  Try using the front brake when there is a spill of ethelene glycol, oil, or diesel on the road at a stop sign or stop light.  Also, when you are power on and the front end comes up and you don't want to slow down, the rear brake will put the front tire down.  I have 9 motorcycles.  One is a 66 Triumph and it's rear brake is much better than my 04 Busa.  I have an 02 FJR that has always had great brakes at both ends.  I love the Busa although my wife lays claim to ownership and ridership of the Busa.  And yes, she can ride it and any other bike very hard.  From the way some of you talk about how you ride with the rear brake, I would guess she would stuff you in a corner.

Now, who makes good rear pads for the Busa and where do I go to get new ones?
biggrin.gif
Wow, you're wife would stuff me in a corner?

How cool is that?

Tempted to have ya ask some folks I've been riding with bout stuffin me in a corner.

Seeing as how you repeated what I and my board brethren said 'bout other uses for the rear. Well I've got little to add to that, add to that, add to that.

This is from the department of redundancey department.

Now that I've gotten that of of my chest, let's just say we got off on the wrong wheel.

Please have a nice day, and good luck with your rear brake.

If the rear grabs that much you'll just be skiddin' and slidin' anyway...
rock.gif
you aint lyin BT i just did that last month and she jerked to the right threw me off it and we both skidded down I-95
Dang PJ, you holdin' out on us bro? Didn't know you went down.
rock.gif

The only use I know for the rear binders is to pull a wheelie back to earth when it's gettin' too high and about to 12 o'clock. Never used it for that but they say it works. I ain't got the guts to wheelie that high in the first place!
wink.gif
its all good fellas thanks for looking out shes back to normal (2600 bucks and 1 maxed out CC later) just gotta wait for this fractured bone in my left wrist to heal should be around early may but i think it was a combination of a quick downshift, too much rear brake and not paying 100% attention to what was going on but oh well live and learn at least i walked away from it and i will never ride without frame sliders ever again they work!!!!!!!!!

rock.gif

Wow, you're wife would stuff me in a corner?

How cool is that?

Tempted to have ya ask some folks I've been riding with bout stuffin me in a corner.

Seeing as how you repeated what I and my board brethren said 'bout other uses for the rear. Well I've got little to add to that, add to that, add to that.

This is from the department of redundancey department.

Now that I've gotten that of of my chest, let's just say we got off on the wrong wheel.

Please have a nice day, and good luck with your rear brake.
idea.gif
Correctomundo!!!

As one of the peoples that's ridden w/ this boy (yes, Mikey, that was me waaaaay back in your rear view), I second that...Mikey turns on a dime and leaves 9 half-melted, rubber coated pennies behind!!
firedevil.gif

All that on meat so bald they look like racing slicks!!!
(Did ya ever get those tires, Mike?)

Hope that was just a case of misunderstandin', good people here w/ lots of info that they're more than willing to share!
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

Hi guys!  Thanks for all the comments.  Rubbersidedown knows what he is talking about.  I agree that 90% of braking is in the front but there are times, as in trail braking, that you need a good rear brake.  I'm not new to riding and have about 600,000 miles under my butt.  However, when buying a performance bike, like the Busa, one should expect performance brakes at both ends.  The rear tire is not just for acceleration and holding speed.  Try using the front brake when there is a spill of ethelene glycol, oil, or diesel on the road at a stop sign or stop light.  Also, when you are power on and the front end comes up and you don't want to slow down, the rear brake will put the front tire down.  I have 9 motorcycles.  One is a 66 Triumph and it's rear brake is much better than my 04 Busa.  I have an 02 FJR that has always had great brakes at both ends.  I love the Busa although my wife lays claim to ownership and ridership of the Busa.  And yes, she can ride it and any other bike very hard.  From the way some of you talk about how you ride with the rear brake, I would guess she would stuff you in a corner.

Now, who makes good rear pads for the Busa and where do I go to get new ones?
biggrin.gif
BTW - after re-reading your post numerous times because some aspects of it kind of are still eating at me.

You argument and I quote

"Try using the front brake when there is a spill of ethelene glycol, oil, or diesel on the road at a stop sign or stop light"

(just for the record, the word "ethelene" is spelled ethylene)

Is kind of a useless one. If you run into any of the above mentioned chemicals on the road you are in deep doo doo no matter what. If you are going straight, light pressure on both front and rear brakes combined will of course help, but your rear brake is going to lock up on those chemicals quicker than your front brake will, and if your rear brake locks up and skids it is useless anyway.

If you hit any of those chemicals in a turn, your are again, just screwed. If you go through those chemicals in a turn without any brakes, and you do have traction problems, the bike will probably lose both tires and it will slide out from under you (and I guess I need to qualify this with depends on how much of a lean you have)

If you use the front brake and slide, you will probably nose down, if you are in a turn, hit those chemicals and don’t use front brakes and if the front tire does not slip, and you use the rear brake, the rear brake will probably lock and skid on the chemicals causing your rear to swing around and catapult you off.

And then your comment and again I quote

"Also, when you are power on and the front end comes up and you don't want to slow down, the rear brake will put the front tire down"

Well gee no kidding. Shifting your weight a little forward will bring the nose down, decelerating will bring the nose down (again I guess I must qualify that answer with saying the previously mentioned is taking into consideration you have not brought the nose up so high that you are over center, in which case you are in deep crap and are probably too far gone to do anything anyway). And if you have any kind of brake at all, you can tap it light enough to bring the nose back forward..

No one ever said there were not specific times for using a rear brake, combination of front and rear brakes applied properly will stop you quicker than just the front

And trail braking going through a turn is helpful (not that I have a lot of experience with it, but I have a little experience plus have done a lot of studying on

And so what if your wife can stuff some of us into a corner? What was that comment supposed to get you? Was that supposed to be some gender based comment? I am sure there are lots of women that can stuff you into a corner in more ways than one.

Heck from what I have heard on this board, Lo-Busa is an awesome rider, she can probably stuff a lot of us into a corner.

I have no doubt in my mind there are lots of women that can out ride me. I don’t have problems with that because I learned a long time ago that no matter how good you are, there is always someone better, and the gender don’t matter. (well most of the time)

And like what BT said, you gave very little information to go on, we get lots of new members who most of the time are new to bikes. So that combined with your number of posts and your very limited description, I personally thought when I responded I was talking to a new rider.. Which after analyzing more in depth your comments about needing breaks going through oil slicks, and thinking about the physics and dynamics of such a situation and being on slick surfaces myself, I am not totally sure you as experience as you are trying to lead everyone to think you are.

And to give you MY riding experience, while I don’t know how many miles I have under my but, I have been riding since I was 20 years old and I am 41 now..

And I have leaned a bike so far over in a turn on a good road that I had no tread left and the bike went out from under me. I have gone through sand and had the brakes lock up, I have been on a motorcycle up in big bear CA and hit black ice and once in Beaufort SC I hit black ice on the way to work going over a bridge, neither time did I go down, skeeered the crap out of me, but I think angels were holding my bike upright.

Ok, I feel better. I have said my peace.. defended my ego… now I can let it go..

And again, welcome to the board and please forgive our inability to not be able to determine your riding experience based on the limited information you provided

Back