Busa Rear Brakes

madlyhs

Registered
I am having problems with my 2002 Busa rear brakes from day one and have taken the bike several times to the dealer and they have bled the system but still the same problem. The rear brakes are very soft and I am using the front breaks instead all the times. I understand that the Hayabusa breaks are not so good from the articles that I have came across so my bike problem is not unique as far as I know. I am considering changing the calibers and wondering if there is a 4 piston caliber in the market that I can use for the rear break instead of the stock to improve breaking.
Your input is highly appreciated.

TIA

Are you losing any fluid? When you get the bike back are the brakes firm, you tried them...... Sounds like you have a leak maybe from a line, cracked reservoir, or bad caliper. I'll do some checking on aftermarket! Would it be cheaper to rebuild your stuff?

Um, I would seriously recommend getting out there and practicing doing 90% of your braking with the fronts. The rear brakes are soft for a reason, and adding more power to the rear will prolly land you on your ass. Sounds like you might be spending for too much energy futzing with them. On a Sport bike, ANY sport bike, the rear brakes provide very little actual stopping power, they may be helpful, but not really good for providing REAL stopping power, that is all in your fronts. As soon as the weight of the bike transfers forward under braking the rear has so little weight on it that it's not going to be of much use.

Get out there and Practice, Practice panic stops and such with them fronts until that becomes your habit, your conditioned response to fast braking needs. Locking the rear in a panic situation while not using or under using the front brakes is a common factor in bike accidents. The front brakes will give you a fighting chance to avoid the painful accident at least.

The short answer? Adding more rear braking is going to be detrimental. Adding more "Feel" to the rear can probably be best accomplished via Stainless lines. But I really would advise against extra grippy pads, or aftermarket "Stronger" brakes in back.

TIOLI

More pistons do not give you better stopping force. It just gives you better modulation. Clean brake fluid, new lines, and regular maintanence will help you stop better.

+1 on that.

I got my 'Busa recently, and noticed that rear brake could barely slow her down. Out of curiousity, I pressed even harder and locked the rear for a second. So, what you are describing is normal for a sportbike.

Like Revlis said, rear is useless in normal aggressive braking. Gravel and extremely slippery conditions - that's another story.

Um, I would seriously recommend getting out there and practicing doing 90% of your braking with the fronts.  The rear brakes are soft for a reason, and adding more power to the rear will prolly land you on your ass.  Sounds like you might be spending for too much energy futzing with them.  On a Sport bike, ANY sport bike, the rear brakes provide very little actual stopping power, they may be helpful, but not really good for providing REAL stopping power, that is all in your fronts.  As soon as the weight of the bike transfers forward under braking the rear has so little weight on it that it's not going to be of much use.

Get out there and Practice, Practice panic stops and such with them fronts until that becomes your habit, your conditioned response to fast braking needs.  Locking the rear in a panic situation while not using or under using the front brakes is a common factor in bike accidents.   The front brakes will give you a fighting chance to avoid the painful accident at least.

The short answer?  Adding more rear braking is going to be detrimental.  Adding more "Feel" to the rear can probably be best accomplished via Stainless lines.  But I really would advise against extra grippy pads, or aftermarket "Stronger" brakes in back.

TIOLI
Ditto!

funk da rear brakes man i put a new rear master cyclinder and new pads on and 3 days later locked up the rear end and wrecked
mad.gif
funk da rear brakes

On a Sport bike, ANY sport bike, the rear brakes provide very little actual stopping power, they may be helpful, but not really good for providing REAL stopping power, that is all in your fronts.  As soon as the weight of the bike transfers forward under braking the rear has so little weight on it that it's not going to be of much use.

Get out there and Practice, Practice panic stops and such...........................
Thanks for the education Rev..............makes perfect sense!!
I don't stop without both of the brakes in action, but haven't practiced too many panic stops.

If you rode cruisers all your life, forget all that you know and begin again. This old dog is learning all kinds of new tricks, LOL!
laugh.gif

The rear brakes are very soft [/QUOTE]
I agree with what I'm hearing from the members, but I not sure that's what the problem is.
Do you mean soft like spongy or little to no stopping power?.....

From reading books on the subject of braking, this author actually recommends decreasing the stopping power of the rear brakes of some stock sport bikes by modifing the pads.  Like a lot of these guys are saying here, too much rear braking is down right dangerous.

BUT, practicing my emergency braking, I too have tried to lock up my rear brakes & felt they were a little weak. Now I’m wondering if the design engineers from Suzuki planned on “softâ€￾ rear brakes just for this reason?

BTW, this is a great book.

<!--EDIT|AZTECWARRIOR
Reason for Edit: None given...|1083782532 -->

book.jpg

I am going to agree with everyone. You should the majority of the time use your front brakes and use your backs very little. Like Rev said. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE

Thank you guys for all the feedback , I bought the bike from the dealer June 2002 and I only have 6000 miles on so far   I know not a lot of riding in your standard
down.gif

The bike is as good as new no leaks or any other problems basically the brakes  SPONGY and they got even more after installing the Hayabusa rear Rotor with logo from Schnitzracing.com  . I am hardly using the rear brakes but occasionally I panic
AAAssjani.gif
  and I use them  and that's were the problem lies, I guess I need to ride more and more .

Thanks again

Thanks AZTEC I will take your word for it and I will get it to learn more .

<!--EDIT|madlyhs
Reason for Edit: None given...|1083834089 -->

I use my rear brakes but I have been riding a long time (since 1960's when rear brakes mattered more). I feel it the rear brake adds stability to the bike when setting up for turns or dropping into turns. It also adds a little to the panic stop or a panic change of direction. I agree with the other posters that most of the real stopping power is in the front brake but using both various ways gives me a more refined feel and stability.

However, the stock rear brake was not good. I put a Braking Wave Rotor on the rear along with the recommended Braking pads and it helped--along with BST Carbon Wheels and front wave rotors. The rear brake seems to drag a little (unlike the front brakes)--it does not seem to run free when finished using it. I wish the rotor rotor was floating or the stock caliper was better. I had talked to Fred at Yoyodine. He has a caliper that he believe would do what I want and saves two pounds. But he does not have a hanger for the calipers but he is looking.

Back