Really need an expert here.

Todmac

Registered
Hi Folks,
This is a fairly technical issue, and I will give as much detail as possible. Please, I am looking for a very technical solution.
I had my bike out a while back its a 2002 busa with only 9000 miles. It got caught low on fuel with the bike and was trying to make it to a fuel station.
Taking off from a light and the bike stalled, I hit the starter button very quickly. I believe the bike kicked back at the same time the starter engaged.
Got a bang, and the bike wouldnt restart. I could hear the strater whirling.
Push started the bike. It started and the FI light came on. Ran like ****, drove it several blocks home.
Opened side cover Found starter idler gear broken, replaced.
Bike starts, will not idle well. FI light has now gone off.

What are the thoughts on diagnosing?
If someone suggests Valve timing check can they please advise if it an be done in frame.

Thanks,
Todd

You blew up the starter, '99-'02 had starter issues...get the newer version '03+

Hope you didn't crack the engine case too

Says right in the post, I broke the starter idler gear, replaced it, starts fine. Cant understand why it wont run properly and not throw a code. Wondering if the idler gear breaking would be catastrophic enough an event to cause a backlash in the timing chain so it jumped a bit off its mechanical timing.

Hi Folks,
This is a fairly technical issue, and I will give as much detail as possible. Please, I am looking for a very technical solution.
I had my bike out a while back its a 2002 busa with only 9000 miles. It got caught low on fuel with the bike and was trying to make it to a fuel station.
Taking off from a light and the bike stalled, I hit the starter button very quickly. I believe the bike kicked back at the same time the starter engaged.
Got a bang, and the bike wouldnt restart. I could hear the strater whirling.
Push started the bike. It started and the FI light came on. Ran like ****, drove it several blocks home.
Opened side cover Found starter idler gear broken, replaced.
Bike starts, will not idle well. FI light has now gone off.

What are the thoughts on diagnosing?
If someone suggests Valve timing check can they please advise if it an be done in frame.

Thanks,
Todd

If you were really low on fuel you might have picked up some crud from the bottom of the tank.

Might be worth checking the fuel filter and injectors.
Run some Seafoam through it if you can.
How old is the battery?

You say it idles like crap. Can you ride it? Higher RPM's OK?

Any strange noises when idling?

Thanks RedBusaRider,
I did clean, check, test all injectors and dont believe it to be the fuel system.
The battery is new.
To be honest I havent buttoned it back up and taken it out for a spin yet.
No noises, sounds normal. Wont Idle on its own (stalls) but will idle with the fast idle engaged.
be honest, it feels like a dead cylinder, but I beleive Spark and Fuel for all 4 to be alright, thats why I am wondering how to dig deeper.
Anyone know how long an ECU on here will hold codes for? Even if the battery has been removed.

Thanks all.
Todd

Don't know, my understanding is that when you turn the key off that's it, code gone. Have you tried adjusting the idle ?

You may have a bent throttle blade. Normally they bend and cause a high idle, but I suppose it could cause one to shut as well. You may also have a boot or hose pushed off as well causing low vacuum. Codes are not stored in the ECU at all, only active when the fault is active.

Todd, it would help if you indicated what's your idle rpm. It would also help if you recorded the sound of your idle and posted here. You mentioned the bike wouldn't idle well - does it run well in higher rpms?

Your starter issue shouldn't have caused the issue with the idle. So, something must've happened - something which is not obvious. If the bike is OK at higher rpm, I would rule out the fuel issue.

First and foremost put a fresh set of plugs in it before you do anything else. If it still misses while idling then start pulling coil wires while it is running to determine where the Miss is. It doesn't matter if you think your plugs are good replace them anyway. If you are certain that your plugs are not the problem and your injectors are not the problem then you should do a compression test to determine which cylinder is not right.

Back