New HID kit, shuts down when starting.

Todmac

Registered
Hey All,
I bought an HID kit from DDM tuning (Very dissatisfied, FYI ).
The light comes on every time I turn the key on, but about half the time when i start it the light goes off and will not come back on.
Have to shut down the bike, turn on the key (light always comes right back on) and then restart and see if light stay on, or goes out.
Usually I find myself starting the bike 4 or 5 times if I want the headlight to be on after it starts. Thanks DDM!
They have been of no help in diagnosing this, or providing some kind of solution. So I am turning to you!

I assume when the starter is engaged it is too large a draw, and perhaps the headlight relay is kicking out?
I have seen videos where guys have put delays on the headlight so it starts 30 seconds after the initial power up, presumably after the bike has been started.
Do you think this is a viable solution, and if so can anyone tell me where you get a delay like that from?

Thanks Busa' family.
I love this bike as much as the people that come with it!

T

Yep, common problem. You can put a relay on the low voltage side of the ballast so you get the bike started and then the relay turns on the HID, or you can put a switch inline on the low voltage side and just flip it on after you start the bike. Some of the guys have a procedure they use(Gen II only) that works, but I am not sure what it is.

Edit to post, I had the same issue on my 05 and finally put a switch inline to fix the problem. Then its just a matter of not forgetting to turn on the switch. :laugh:

What year is the bike?

Sounds like a weak battery to be honest!

could be a weak battery, if you have a gen 2 then try this. turn the kill switch on ,turn the key, pull in the clutch and then hit the starter and then release the starter switch after a couple seconds should have no problem.

Just turn the key on, depress the starter button, and pull the clutch in. Light never goes off.

I think most use a dei 528t relay here how to wire it..

image-2243952814.jpg

image-2243952814.jpg

I think most use a dei 528t relay here how to wire it..

View attachment 252841

Thanks Freechance, just what i was looking for. Dont relish the idea of taking it all apart again, and trying to find more spots to stuff stuff.
Good to have the info, i will order one this week. Now I know what I will be doing next weekend :)

Battery is new, and it's the 55W setup. Should have gone with a better company to supply. Learn as I go!
Thanks again for the info.

T

I used a wolstentech relay on mine,its alot smaller than that 528t but its about twice the price..i have a thread on here somewhere how to wire it and what relay to buy if u go that route..

Thanks Freechance, just what i was looking for. Dont relish the idea of taking it all apart again, and trying to find more spots to stuff stuff.
Good to have the info, i will order one this week. Now I know what I will be doing next weekend :)

Battery is new, and it's the 55W setup. Should have gone with a better company to supply. Learn as I go!
Thanks again for the info.

T

Of the hundred folks I know who have ddm kits in their cars and bikes youre the first one I heard of that has a problem with them, or at least thinks they have one. My bet is the kit is fine and you just need to do a lil fine tuning.

On my GenI I push the starter button, turn the key on then pull in the clutch. Light doesn't come on until the bike is running.

i have a ddm 55w on bolth high and low beam and never hade anything like that happen and its been about a year and a half...

On my GenI I push the starter button, turn the key on then pull in the clutch. Light doesn't come on until the bike is running.

Thanks, that doesnt work on mine though. Press starter button, turn on key, light automatically comes on.

Hey you wanna buy some rims, i am only next door in BC :)

Of the hundred folks I know who have ddm kits in their cars and bikes youre the first one I heard of that has a problem with them, or at least thinks they have one. My bet is the kit is fine and you just need to do a lil fine tuning.

I am not sure what fine tuning you think i can do. If you look at this thread though, it seems apparent allot of people have had this issue.

I used a wolstentech relay on mine,its alot smaller than that 528t but its about twice the price..i have a thread on here somewhere how to wire it and what relay to buy if u go that route..

Thanks, I have been looking on the web for one of these, i find the compact size appealing.
Oddly, it says on their website thair product covers positive and negative switching setup's so it doesnt matter which type you have. When i went to order,one, it then asks if i have a positive or negative switching system as you can only order one of the other.... sigh. I assume it's a positive switching system, but can you confirm before i order one.
T

I have heard that those relays burn out fast.I have a relay right off the battery and just hold the start button in and the light doesnt come on untill its running.Been doing that for a year now and no issues.ALways lights up.I will say if your overcharging, it will shut the ballasts off.My regulator went bad and was charging at 18v and it would shut the ballasts off.Safety to not burn it out.

I have heard that those relays burn out fast.I have a relay right off the battery and just hold the start button in and the light doesnt come on untill its running.Been doing that for a year now and no issues.ALways lights up.I will say if your overcharging, it will shut the ballasts off.My regulator went bad and was charging at 18v and it would shut the ballasts off.Safety to not burn it out.

Thanks, its not an overcharging issue. Can you explain how you have the "relay off the battery" hooked up?
Thanks

T

Realizing yours is a GenI have you read this thread? Done by a guy who knows just a lil.
>>> https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gen-ii-busa-information/124304-gen2-hid-install.html <<<

I understand your having problems and some do but not many. You'll find info on relays and links to folks who did their own install threads above. I've had mine in for over 2.5 yrs and they work perfectly as do most.
It is possible you got a bum kit or ballast but again go thru the motions, check your connections and follow any tips contained in thread above before you start to lay blame on a company many are very ha

Back