HID Time Delay

Sannosuke

Registered
Hi guy's,

Been (and looks like I will!) wanting to install HID's and my questions are;

With the HID's from DDM (many thanks Blanca Busa, exceptional install/how to HID write-up:thumbsup:) are we able to dedicate having only the low-beam on and only using the high-beam when we want?

Also for start up procedures. Instead of rubbing your tummy and tapping your head while turning around 3 times (okay, maybe it's not that bad but I'd like to have the option) do HID dealers provide a time delay or is this an item I'll have to get from a different source?

Thanks in advance,
-Daivd

I am not sure about what timmers are out there, but i know one thing that works well. I have a euro spec bike(bought in bahrain) which has a switch to turn the lights off. It is right on the control switch, so all i have to do is turn my lights off or on parking when i shut down. Now until you get use to having to turn them on, might ride awhile with it off. But you get use to it quickly. Should be able to find a switch on ebay... Don't know if will help but is an option.

Why bother buying a time delay when holding down the start button and putting in the clutch is all you need?

I mean ALL you need to do is hold down the start button when you turn key, it doesnt take any tapping on head, its one thumb for 2 seconds and you're golden.

Why bother buying a time delay when holding down the start button and putting in the clutch is all you need?

I mean ALL you need to do is hold down the start button when you turn key, it doesnt take any tapping on head, its one thumb for 2 seconds and you're golden.

Or, why hold down the start button for two secs while pulling the clutch in when all you need to do is install a time relay... :whistle:

Really no problem doing the with-out time relay mod, just want to weigh my options.

pretty sure the gen II has a built in relay so when you hit starter button it automatically turns off lights during the initial startup.

Try tripageled.com. I just installed one from them this week. The delay is adjustable and it works great. Like you said, no worrying about a special starting sequence.

Hmm... according to you and having Brian (thanks!) confirm it I may not need one?

Yeah...look you can kinda go at this two ways. And you'l probably get several different opinions. But the GenII has a stronger charging & electrical system, that along w/ the built in timer and you're pretty much good to go.
Others will say to use the alternate start up method...which in turn is safe and will work as well.

Bottom line is I would save your money on buying an "additional" timer delay.

My $0.02

At this point in time your 2¢ is worth more then my 1¢. :beerchug:

Thanks again!

Yeah...look you can kinda go at this two ways. And you'l probably get several different opinions. But the GenII has a stronger charging & electrical system, that along w/ the built in timer and you're pretty much good to go.
Others will say to use the alternate start up method...which in turn is safe and will work as well.

Bottom line is I would save your money on buying an "additional" timer delay.

My $0.02

If you get a 35w kit, you should be good to go w/ no need for a delay relay as long as you keep the highbeam off when first initially starting the bike up...:thumbsup:

Last edited:
i'll disagree 35w or 55w, the draw is over 10amps at initial start up.

ye the gen 2 turns of the light when the starter button is hit, but as soon as you let off the button, all 10+ amps hits your charging system while the system is recovering from startup. like i said , i have had my clock reset after startup a few times......it drew that much.......

so a delay is not such a bad idea, compared to replacing your battery sooner then it needs to be.

Back