HID High beam

JCinTX

Registered
I remember reading a post sometime back that said something about removing the lens if using a HID high beam. Anyone know anything about this and also tell me how ya did yours if you have upgraded to HID high beam.
Thanks,
Jay

ditto
biggrin.gif

Rhythm and I removed the thick 3" lens from the highbeam space once, and I did it again seperately. Seperated light housing and removed lens.

Area is unfinished without the thick lens. Looks awkward because there is no "reflector" housing in that area. It's just black painted sides with a lens over a large round hole the size of the lens.

Removing the lens can be done but something will need to be done to finish it to make the HID usefull. Aim it higher than the low beam hid for best results.

If you put HID in the highbeam behind the lens. HID shinning thru the lens, distorted light patterns, and focus ability worth doing is probably a better question. Nitrous Junky was the last person I know that had HID in the highbeam spot. He has since removed it as well. He will give you an honest opinion about the cost of the kit vs usefulness in the highbeam space. My opinon is honest but you need others point of view.

JD

Here is mine opinion. HID bulb is in focus as it is.

after low beam install there is not practical use of the hi beam.

there is another points.. tho
smile.gif

Cagers will move to right lane 3 times faster then usual.

Projector design lens bothering oncoming drivers less so you can keep it on almost all the time if pointed not to high.

when crossing an intersection just use your pass button for a few seconds, nobody will ever claim that didn`t seen you.

Light pattern looks uneven because of 3 times light intensity of HID bulb.

After all you spend much more time riding at daylight and visibility to cages is important.

I have no regular bulbs in any of my vehicles.  I can`t stand halogen bulbs anymore.

<!--EDIT|Vic_E55_2001
Reason for Edit: None given...|1137039114 -->

I did both hi and low... I didn't remove the lens, and don't see any distortion or uneven lighting. when I turn on the hi-beam, it takes like 3 sec to "warm-up" but once it's juiced, it will light up signs a mile away (not kidding)!!!

Here is a shot of my HID on...

Leo_Busa_013a.jpg

2 schools of thought on this.
Using hi-beam for night time.
Using hi-beam in daytime as extra visibilty to drivers.

I'm interested in daytime visibility with cagers.  I really don't care if it throws light too high, aka illeagal.  I want to be seen in the daytime. Trucks, buses, and suvs are very high anyway. You have to project light up just to get into their side mirrors.

The hi-beam lens, does it dim the hid light or simply unfocus it??  

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1137043639 -->

I'm interested in daytime visibility with cagers.  I really don't care if it throws light too high, aka illeagal.  I want to be seen in the daytime.

I really don't care if it throws light too high, aka illeagal.  I want to be seen in the daytime.
IMHO, you will be seen in the daytime with low HID alone... If you use hi in daytime, it looks like a freight train is comming at ya!
tounge.gif

I'm interested in daytime visibility with cagers.  I really don't care if it throws light too high, aka illeagal.  I want to be seen in the daytime.

I really don't care if it throws light too high, aka illeagal.  I want to be seen in the daytime.
IMHO, you will be seen in the daytime with low HID alone... If you use hi in daytime, it looks like a freight train is comming at ya!  
tounge.gif
I allready have the low-beam HID and have it pointed higher than legal(top focus line is level with most car/small truck side mirrors).  And I want more!!  More visibility with the cars.  I commute 60miles on crowded freeways and I want them all to see me.

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1137044075 -->

Basically what I want, in the daytime, when you look at my bike, to be like looking into the sun!    
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1137044176 -->

tounge.gif
I allready have the low-beam HID and have it pointed higher than legal(top focus line is level with most car/small truck side mirrors).  And I want more!!  More visibility with the cars.  I commute 60miles on crowded freeways and I want them all to see me.
Asides from the anoying 3sec warm-up time, I have not found anything bad to say about the hi-beam HID... only ++++'s
wink.gif

I would reccomend 8K or 10K high beam ifyou decided doing so.

Here is my reason. If your light as close as possible to the sun spectrum drivers can not see it. They will see it much better with blue tint.

If you don`t want to go HID on high beam go buy ICEMAN`s yellow bulb... same reasons.

I ordered 30K bulb for high beam . almost Ultra Violet light.. cagers will se you for sure and more light output then halogen.

Vic's answers are most correct. The HID in the highbeam thru the thick magnifing lens will just produce light in all directions. Not focused too well but your not using it for that.

If you put the same K in as your low beam it will match well. IT will however be viewed as a "reflection" if the sun is up high. Kinda like seeing a shine from a mirror. (twinkle signals being sent to a sniper).

If you go higher in K value the color difference will stand out so much more but it wont "match as nice. Vic if you have HID in both can you post a pic to show the 30k difference. Sweet color it is at 30k. If you even seen an audi coming at you, it's bluer lights stand out over everything else except their not on in the daytime.

JD

ICE, how much is a yellow bulb from you? Also, is it just a regular halogen with coated glass?

I can answer this for You JD.

Yellow glass not colored clear glass.

One more thing to consider when you want brightest light.
There is situation when light is TOO bright...too contrast. It`s like when you step into dark room after very bright sunny day... Got the idea...
smile.gif

I am confused now ------- I true HID system costs like 350.00 ? Or are you folks talking about a new high tech replacment bulb that fits in the stock Busa socket THNX
rock.gif

Back