2nd Gen. use high -beam projector + HID kit as daily low-beam, is it okay?

1UP

Registered
I've been looking through a lot of the "HID" threads and have yet to come across this and maybe haven't been able to for good reason but is it not an ideal setup to get an HID kit for the high-beam and use it as a daily low-beam light? If I'm assuming correctly, the high-beam housing should provide a cut-off for the HID bulb and provide a safe HID light output. Once the HID kit is installed onto the high-beam projector housing, just lower the adjustment so that it's correct and all good right? Or am I missing something here? This would eliminate having to retro-fit a projector for the low-beam. I (along with others) have to have wondered about this and I'm very interested in correctly and safely using HID lighting on the road.

The stock high beam projector has the cut off on the bottom of the beam (unless modified) and is quite scattered to the top.

The low beam reflector isn't to bad with a HID installed, just be sure to have it adjusted correctly.

Also on GEN2's the high and low beam are not independently adjustable.

An HID bulb works well in the high beam, as it does not scatter the beam as the low beam housing does.
If I understand correctly you want to use the high beam only? Aimed down as a low beam?
I have had HID bulbs in a gen2, hi and low. As said, the hi beam looks good, but the low beam is scattered, and pretty useless.
The hi beam will aim down and make a decent low beam, but obviously you're then without a hi beam...which you really need.
Unless you modify the headlight housing, the hi and low cannot be adjusted independently. The hi beam will also light up the tree tops when adjusted all the way up.
You can use a standard bulb in the low beam and HID in the hi. But, the drawback to that(or even with both HID) is dimming the hi beam to oncoming traffic. The HID hi beam takes a moment to ignite, so you can't just quickly switch between hi and low.
It will take the HID a moment to come back, and sometimes they will not, and need to be switched again. Usually if you have to switch between beams, then again shortly after.
If you want to be able to see well at night, you would be better off to use projectors for the hi and low.
But, there are LED bulbs available that work very well, are much brighter than stock, don't have the HID ignition problems, and the only modification is slight and easy, simply to hold the bulbs properly into the headlight assembly.
Look into LED bulbs before you make any decisions.

I put a HID in my low beam 10 years ago and it was the best investment to date. I never have had anyone flash their lights at me. I don't have to use my high beam ever so I put a yellow bulb in it .

I put a HID in my low beam 10 years ago and it was the best investment to date. I never have had anyone flash their lights at me. I don't have to use my high beam ever so I put a yellow bulb in it .

The OP has a gen2.
There is a difference in the gen1 and 2 headlight designs.:beerchug:

Has anyone here tried using LED's in the headlamps with success?

-D

I have this one on my KLR H4 LED Headlight - ADVmonster .

It is brighter than the stock incandescent bulb and saves about 30 watts of power over the stock part, so I can run auxiliary lights without upgrading the charging system.

However it is not nearly as bright as the 50 watt HID's in the Busa and the beam patterns while not offensive to other drivers isn't terribly even...

If I understand correctly you want to use the high beam only? Aimed down as a low beam?
That is correct, but since the the stock cutoff cuts off the lower light beam, then I assume this technique is out of the question.

But, there are LED bulbs available that work very well, are much brighter than stock, don't have the HID ignition problems, and the only modification is slight and easy, simply to hold the bulbs properly into the headlight assembly. Look into LED bulbs before you make any decisions.
I like this idea.

Do you have pictures of how yours look at night?

Here you go.

I realize that I am not a photographer, so yes the pics are not the best, these were with a point and shoot camera in manual mode to try and show the differences in light output.

Ambient
IMG_20140712_215113_495.jpg

LED headlight, low beam
IMG_20140712_215129_172.jpg

LED headlight, high beam
IMG_20140712_215148_937.jpg

LED headlight WITH auxiliary lights. You can see why I run auxiliary lights on my bikes.
IMG_20140712_215223_139.jpg

Here you go.

I realize that I am not a photographer, so yes the pics are not the best, these were with a point and shoot camera in manual mode to try and show the differences in light output.

Ambient
IMG_20140712_215113_495.jpg

LED headlight, low beam
IMG_20140712_215129_172.jpg

LED headlight, high beam
IMG_20140712_215148_937.jpg

LED headlight WITH auxiliary lights. You can see why I run auxiliary lights on my bikes.
IMG_20140712_215223_139.jpg

Man, that's amazing with those Aux. lights!

yea them are bright wow! aux lights just look like shiit on a Busa tho. they make it look to touring. unless one cud flush mount them into the fairing and look factory then it wud look decent. but the ones hanging off the side just ruin the look of a Busa imo. it turns it into an off road lookn trail bike.

Iceman and I were the first Rydaz here to sport the HID bulb back in 02. When I figured out how to mount a complete projector style HID unit in the light housing, there was no turning back. Sixpack hit it on the head with his statement. Theres nothing like having a nice clean cutoff light line hitting the road ahead and having High beam we you need it, especially on dark a$$ country rural roads.

Here you go.

Ambient
View attachment 1566095

LED headlight, low beam
View attachment 1566096

LED headlight, high beam
View attachment 1566097

View attachment 1566098

I realize this is 2 yrs old. Hope u see this flatlandbusa. What auxiliary light is this?

Back