RAIN GEAR

Krieg

Donating Member
Registered
OK so I am taking a 800 mile ride in a week and with the current weather conditions in the great Northwest I feel the need to get some rain gear. Anyone have any that is worth a damn and "cost effective"?
rock.gif

I'm northwest of you and I know what you mean. The weather is just plain bad these days. I ride back and forth to work in it. There are several companies that make compact raingear in a bag.

I have Viking tsunami stuff. It stuffs back into it's own pocket and its around 50 bucks for pants and jacket. Good for travelling and cheap.

I'm sure there is better motorcycle specific stuff out there but I'm cheap and I try to avoid long rides in the rain.

Hey Krieg,
Last time we ran Lolo, it started to rain @ Orofino. We whipped into the local sporting goods store and bought them out of some real high tech rain gear.....I think it was designed for fishin'! Did it's job tho, kept the rain and snow off for the next 100 miles.

I posted this pic before, just had to throw it out again....
June 10th, 2002. Photo taken @ the Lolo summit.

I'm thinkin you can find some better shid if ya plan ahead!
tounge.gif

Have fun man! Ride safe!

lolo_02.JPG

By the way dude, watch those blind left handers (going east) take a line that keeps your melon outside the centerline........

By the way dude, watch those blind left handers (going east)  take a line that keeps your melon outside the centerline........
Thanks for the tip and the photo. That looks like it was a wet day bro.
smile.gif
Hopefully we will get lucky and the weather will clear up for us next weekend cause we are all commited to going now. I can't wait to get on highway 12....I bet it is going to be fantastic. Maybe we can hook up some time for that coast ride
biggrin.gif

I'm northwest of you and I know what you mean. The weather is just plain bad these days. I ride back and forth to work in it. There are several companies that make compact raingear in a bag.

I have Viking tsunami stuff. It stuffs back into it's own pocket and its around 50 bucks for pants and jacket. Good for travelling and cheap.

I'm sure there is better motorcycle specific stuff out there but I'm cheap and I try to avoid long rides in the rain.
Thanks for the gear tip
smile.gif

Did you say snow? Wow, hopefully I never have to ride in the snow!
I rode through a sleet storm in 40 degree weather at about 6000' elevation, one time on the 2nd of July. Damn near died of hypothermia as I was young and very stupid and didn't even have a jacket. Now you know why I am looking into rain gear
laugh.gif

From syringa going east, where the famed "curves" sign says "next 77 miles", the average posted corner speed is probably 35 or 45.. a few 25mph ones, although not many, lots of 35 mph and 45mph corners tho... not a bunch of great places to pass if you are in a car, but with our bikes, no problem. Once you get to the summit, it straightens out quite a bit, but still fun:p

MJN, sounds great I am going to take a photo of the 77 mile sign
smile.gif
and ride like hell
smile.gif
35 to 45 are nice corners to really give my new M1's a workout.
biggrin.gif

smile.gif

There is a decent pull-off area right there at the sign. I think I'll be takin one there too....(picture that is!):D

I'm sure you've already figured this out, but the best places to fuel are Lolo, and Kooskia. There is a fuel stop @ lolo hotsprings, and 2 yrs ago there was a Sinclair sign 2 the Lochsa Lodge, just down the west side, and 2 pumps @ Lowell. These should be considered secondary stops though...never can tell.

The 77 miles of curves sign is just outside Lowell, by the way, not Syringa..

Fueling at Lolo before we leave the morning of the 26th and heading through to Kooskia where we will fuel again. What is the elevation at Lolo Pass, do you remember?
rock.gif

+3
Frogg Togg's, They allow moisture out buy not in, storage is a breeze, but sometimes cost is a little high! You pay for what you get......

It's not just "Rain Gear" but it is my weather proof bread 'n butter travel rig....

For work and long trips I wear my Tourmaster Cortech Sport Jacket...which itself is water proof and has a large (zippered at both ends) cargo pocket in the lower back section of the jacket...where I keep my $29.95 Tourmaster Rainpants rolled up...so...when it's hot and sunny?..I open up the massive zippered air-vents on the jacket and when I hit rain?...I close the vents and pull my rainpants out of the rear cargo pocket and...viola...one outfit for all ST occassions.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Yep, I use the Frog Toggs also, and the pants and the jacket will fit under the hump.
smile.gif
Most sporting goods store,s sell them for $59.00 for the reg pants, and $69.00 for the bib,s with suspenders.

Back