Raider... oh raider...  **DECISION MADE***

Rev -
Let me put it this way . . .
Since Tony (RC51) and I bought our 8s (July 04)
He has ridden maybe 5 times, he is having that much fun.
If ya buy a new one you shouldn't have any recall problems,
Yes they burn a little oil and the gas mileage leaves a lot
to be desired. BUT they are balls of fun especially around corners!
I've bought 2 and if I totaled one I'd buy another. I've got over
30,000 on my black one. We regularly take four my size or taller
people out in it with NO problem. All in all it rates a 4.5 outa 5.
I think of it as a cross between a BMW & a Jaguar as far as the ride/
handling compromise goes. The steering is like it reads yer mind.
6 secs to sixty ain't the fastest out there but ain't slow either.
And she'll live at 8k all day if ya want. Cause its a rotary it spins
therefore high RPMs don't bother it. (Doesn't have to very sudden stops
every rev like a piston engine) Buy one, far better than a Volkswagen
front drive no feel POS!

pirate.gif
Raider out.
Thus spoketh the Raider. Excellent.

<!--EDIT|PACIFICBUSA
Reason for Edit: None given...|1142295720 -->

I think that I am going to end up driving all sorts of cars here in the next couple of weeks.  

-RX8
-330ci
-350Z
-Caddy CTS
-GTI
-Hell maybe a GTO??

I gotta figure out what I really want.  I really want...

-Under $30k prefered, maybe.... MAYBE a tiny bit over for something super special...
-Manual tranny OR a good SMG
-Rear wheel drive prefered, all wheel drive OK
-200+ HP, I don't need a lot, just enough to get outta it's own way..
-Room for 2, more is OK.
-Some luggage would be handy, Weekend kinda stuff.
-Leather, A/C, Killer Stereo, I can take or leave, would be nice but not a big deal.
-HAS TO BE FUN
-Used prolly, maybe new...

I guess the biggest thing is fun, if it isn't fun then I may as well just buy another bike with good seating and comfort for a passenger.  really that is what I am doing.

I worry too much when I have the wife on the back of a bike and I usually end up not having too much fun, I just cannot relax.  I mean I am not a Huge Buff dude, but I am big enough to take a good hit and keep on trucking, I've proven this a few times.
laugh.gif
 But the wife is small, small bones ya know?  and I worry a great deal about her well being in an accident.  Just not sure how well she can take a hit.  I mean the scooter messed her up pretty good, and that was with armor and at a pretty low speed.  

SO

I figure a car is the way to go when we want to take a trip for the weekend somewhere.  Hell maybe a drop top?  Something "Sporty" doesn't have to be a sports car,  just FUN.  That's why I was batting around the Pontiac Soltace for awhile, but it and the Saturn sky both violate the HP minimums.  
wink.gif

Besides, for 12 years the wife and I have pretty much only had one car, I've allways had a bike so it was no big deal, but we are going to be getting her something new soon (FX35-45) and I kinda want to get her something SHE really likes (Subaru Outback) and I can have my car I really like, a toy.  Hell my commute is only 1.4 miles so the car really won't see all theat many miles to and from work, just out playing on the weekends...

What I really want is a 2006 Corvette Z-06 but they are a bit spendy and I like to do other things too...  Like Eat.
laugh.gif

Anyhoo, sorry for the babbling...  Kinda tired N bored.
Admirable, the concern you have for wifey. That's a good man.
thumbs-up.gif

That's quite the list. All are pretty good choices, all can be tons of fun.

I'd recommend somthing along the lines of a Stang. You can get it used, and drop the rest of the 30k into minor mods to make it even more worthy.

A little sluggish around the corners, but nothin a set of coil-overs and a rear anti-sway can't take care of. Absolutely stable at triple digits. Besides...the new ones look pretty damn tight.

More power? Bolt on a filter and new exhaust. If you're feeling really ambitious, go for a cold air intake and regear the rear end. 3.55 sounds like it'll be a good balance.

Let's see...Mustang GT + suspension work + minor mods.

Equals?
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
Nice neck-snappin time!

laugh.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif

Make sure you can get into and out of the cars first. I can get into a TT and a Crossfire, but getting out is another story. The new GTO is one of the most comfortable cars I have ever been in.... But, I could only drive the automatic. My heals catch on the floorboards in the 6-speed. If I were looking, I'd wait untill next year when the Cobra comes out. Love the new Mustang.

Have fun,

Steve

I have some friends that specialize in late model LS1,LS2 powered cars if you become interested in the cadillac or the GTO.They are both both amazing rides but after seeing everything from the stock rides up too the thousand horse twin turbo cars the cadillac ctsv is just an amazing car even in stock trim its perfect quick,quiet and handles great.And its so easy to squeeze power out of these motors.Not sure if you like the corvette but you can get some great deals right now on a used c5 zo6 due to the release of of the new z06.But if you decide on one of these and want to play around with it give me a shout.

Rev...been there..done that........just say no! The rotary motor is not what ya call fuel efficient nor is it good on longevity. Three letters for ya if yer lookin' for a fun toy......its spelled G.T.O.

can you say bargain screamer?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
???

rock.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

Make sure you can get into and out of the cars first.  I can get into a TT and a Crossfire, but getting out is another story.  The new GTO is one of the most comfortable cars I have ever been in.... But, I could only drive the automatic.  My heals catch on the floorboards in the 6-speed.  If I were looking, I'd wait untill next year when the Cobra comes out.  Love the new Mustang.

Have fun,

Steve
Crossfire? Damn, tree....

I took one look at it and said NOPE. Hell, my friggin azz is almost as big as the window!
wow.gif
I know you're taller than me, Tree...I'm amazed it could fit you.

For me? Well, I'd be amazed if my 300lb ass can actually fit in there. I can hear the shocks screaming for vengeance right now...

+1 on that Cobra.
drooling3.gif
drooling3.gif
drooling3.gif

drooling3.gif

drooling3.gif

this would be my pick, rumored to have a LS2 engine at 400 plus hp. Plus it gives you a little time to save up some $$$ before Chevy makes them
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|paineless4u
Reason for Edit: None given...|1142308550 -->

camero.jpg

350Z thats what i'am looking at to replace my camaro. plus vortec makes a superchager for the 350z
biggrin.gif
414HP
wow.gif
OK I drove the 350Z tonight and I gotta say I am quite disappointed. Power was OK nothing to sneeze at. But the interior materials quality was iffy and the ride was Very Firm. Felt like I was back in the old TR7... We'll see, found a cool salesman though, reminds me of a character outta the Sapranos' Fughetaboutit...
smile.gif

We'll see maybe I am a bit spoiled but I was expecting a better feel outta the 350 Z...

Gotta keep looking, Maybe an Audi Next and the RX8. I think maybe with as put off as I was with the Nissans materials, maybe i'll see what the Euro-ghey crowd has to offer. Audi, and BMW...

or a 01+ BMW M3 6speed but they have a stiff ride also. or a audi s4 last generation 2000-2003 with the 250hp twin turbo v6 i have seen them for under 25K

Rev -
The 8 is the way to go.
Don't worry about flooding it.
On a new one shouldn't happen.
If it does will only happen once.
Mazda will upgrade yer plugs, battery & starter.
If ya didn't like the 350 stay away from the Mustang.
Besides I embarrased one on Newberger Rd last week.
They ride like sh it and handle worse.

pirate.gif
Raider out.

<!--EDIT|RaiderDm
Reason for Edit: "1369"|1142342649 -->

Rev -
The 8 is the way to go.
Don't worry about flooding it.
On a new one shouldn't happen.
If it does will only happen once.
Mazda will upgrade yer plugs, battery & starter.
If ya didn't like the 350 stay away from the Mustang.
Besides I embarrased one on Newberger Rd last week.
They ride like sh it and handle worse.

pirate.gif
Raider out.
Now see road and track had some very positive things to say about the newest generation of mustang. I think I'll at least drive one. Besides it's in a differen't class than the RX8, it's still more of a Muscle car than a sports car. But I suspect your right about the materials. And this was my only real problem with the 350Z Yeah the ride was choppy but mostly it was the cheap feel to the interior.

We'll see. I am prolly going to take an Audi TT Quattro for a spin today. At least I know in it the materials used will have the right feel.

I found an 04 RX8 the other day but it was an automatic, No Thanks...

Thanks for all the input Raider, and thanks everyone else as well, I appreciate it and as I am a little bit all over the place here every little bit helps.

or a 01+  BMW M3 6speed but they have a stiff ride also. or a audi s4 last generation 2000-2003 with the 250hp twin turbo v6 i have seen them for under 25K
I've been in firmly suspended cars before, but the 350 put me off not because it was firm, so much as it was choppy, you know overly firm sorta.  The M3's are very cool, but it's basically just another sport coupe, I kinda want to find something a little different thus my obsession with the M-Coupe.  But hell I have never even sat in one, I may not fit at all...

Maybe I am more of Cadillac Kinda guy?  Besides, how weird would I look crawling outta of a little RX?

Oh, and stay away fromthe twin turbo S4's great cars if under warranty but they were a nightmare of blown seals, melted turbos, on and on. Had a friend nate in Colorado go through about 4 turbo's and a list of other troubles. Might have had somethign to do with his, but I became plenty fearfull.

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1142354746 -->

Rev try as many different cars as you can, narrow your choice down to 2 or 3
and then drive them again and find the BEST one for you
wink.gif

Oh yeah ...
In my haste I never actually answered the orig1nal question.

Yes Rev ..... I'm out here.
biggrin.gif

Some might say wayyyy out here
tounge.gif

The 8 is taut more than firm. It has a suppleness
that makes feel "alive" Sinueous rather than muscle bound.
The only car I've driven lately that even comes close is the Lotus Elise/ Extige.

pirate.gif
Raider out.

<!--EDIT|RaiderDm
Reason for Edit: "1371"|1142356902 -->

Make sure you can get into and out of the cars first.  I can get into a TT and a Crossfire, but getting out is another story.  The new GTO is one of the most comfortable cars I have ever been in.... But, I could only drive the automatic.  My heals catch on the floorboards in the 6-speed.  If I were looking, I'd wait untill next year when the Cobra comes out.  Love the new Mustang.

Have fun,

Steve
Crossfire? Damn, tree....

I took one look at it and said NOPE. Hell, my friggin azz is almost as big as the window!  
wow.gif
I know you're taller than me, Tree...I'm amazed it could fit you.

For me? Well, I'd be amazed if my 300lb ass can actually fit in there. I can hear the shocks screaming for vengeance right now...

+1 on that Cobra.
drooling3.gif
drooling3.gif
drooling3.gif
Yeah, I had to crawl out onto the floor of the dealership. I thought it was funny as hell. The sales guy on the otherhand wasn't impressed.
moderator.gif
The TT was very similar, but a little larger.

drooling3.gif

drooling3.gif

Rev,

You might look for a late 80's RX7 with a 13B. You are not too far from Hayes Rotary now. I'd give them a call and see what they recomend. From what I've been told they have the very best customer service out there. You can pick one up cheap from the junk yard, and then it is just a matter of how much you want to put into her.
http://www.hayesrotary.com/

I had an '83 with the 12A. 30+ Mpg and 135K miles before the seals got too bad. When she was running she would still break the tires loose @60 Mph shifting into 3rd.

An '88 or '89 Supra turbo is a nice option also. They have a suspension that is adjustable from inside. Power and a nice ride.

Later,

Steve

POst woe

<span style='color:crimson'>************go HO elsewhere*********

Thanks.

REV</span>

Now that was good

<!--EDIT|BusaSamurai
Reason for Edit: None given...|1142379061 -->

s2marvin.gif

Tree I am more interested in something newer and trouble/hassle free. RX8s desire for oil is about as much "Hassle" as I am willing to put up with.

Gotta go drive an RX-8 tonight and I'll let ya'll know what I think.

Back