New Home Audio Video Receiver: Yamaha RX-V377 or Denon AVR-X1100W

1UP

Registered
For a few years now, I've been using two Yamaha HS80M studio monitors as my primary sound output for my home audio needs. I dug out a very old and probably very crappy set of "Digital Research" 5.1 surround sound speakers from storage and planned to hook them up for some awesome surround sound when my kids want to watch movies. Just a few weeks ago, during a morning run to Burger King for breakfast, I came across a subwoofer by the name of "Acoustic Research S12HO" at a garage sale and decided to take my chances on it for $10. One thought led to another and last night, I ended up at Best Buy. My brief research on low-end, best bang for buck, and with great consumer feedback on Amazon.com led me to select the Yamaha RX-V377 5.1 as the winning candidate. After walking into Best Buy for about 30 minutes, I walked out with something completely different and at double the cost of what I wanted to spend initially (the Denon AVR-1100W). Since I accumulated enough gift cards recently to cover the entire purchase, I figured I'd trust the sales guy and take advantage of Best Buy's 2-week demo period with the Denon.

I'm not trying to get into anything too elaborate but just want the most I can get for my money and also not hoping for too much at this price point. Like I said, my initial decision was the RX-V377 which has lots of great consumer-level reviews on Amazon for about $180 but was talked into getting the AVR-X1100W for $350. For those of you who are educated in home audio, what do you guys think about the two receivers and their current prices? I definitely like the wireless ability of the Denon but also don't mind having to physically connect to the Yamaha. At two very different price points, does one offer much more over than the other in terms of features and more importantly, quality/longevity?

Also, is the "Headphone" output on the front of this Denon receiver amplified/powered? I want to connect my HS80M studio monitors to it for music when I want to but the monitors are powered and I want to be sure the input from the receiver isn't also powered. Attached are a few pictures for reference. Thanks in advance!

todays-best-deals-in-tech-home-theater-receiver-drones-ssd-ooma-and-more-1429289976.jpg

denavrx1100wbk_1.jpg

pay not a lot of attention to the wattage...its the ampridge you want to pay attention to. The higher the ampridge the better. Both of those are good i would prob go with the yamaha myself

I run denon, and am thinking of going to crest, either way they have some decent wireless units now so you can even make the Yamaha wireless without much signal drop

I always bought Yamaha for years. Back in the day they claimed to have the best "natural sound." I believed it and bought into it.

RSD.

Does it need to be new? For the most part receivers last long if its a good one. Can get a really good model for not too much. I picked up a onkyo 717 ($220) with too many inputs and amps then I need but it sure sounds nice and powers my tower speakers much nicer then my old receiver.
On the plus i picked up a set of 2 12s in a sealed box to go with this receivers double subwoofer outputs.

Onkyo had some problems with hdmi capicators but they repaired them for free when they blew! So i have a like new receiver for 220.

the reason i like yamaha is the sound quality and the durability. But after reading your post again i see you had already bought the denon. If it is wifi and all the fancy stuff you wanted then ya that is the one you want as yamaha that you were looking at doesnt have all that.

After using the Denon for a few days, I don't think I'm going to keep it. I feel that $350 isn't being put to good use. Going to return this one and try out the Yamaha. It's only half the cost.

Back