Radar detector mounting

ChronosWS

Registered
I'm thinking I could mount it at the base of the windscreen perhaps (it's a ZG DB screen). But what I am concerned about is its ability to receive laser signals. Has anyone had any experience with this? Are the smoke DB screens transparent to the IR laser signals?

Any advice would be useful. Also, I have not yet purchased the detector, so if you have comments on what would be a good one to get besides the 8500, I'm all ears (eyes?)

The Passport 8500 is probably as good as money can buy according to all the write ups and tests that have been done. I have one and it works great. I also have the Passport S2 Solo, which is wireless. It seems to work just as good as the 8500 but runs on two AA batteries so there is no wiring to contend with and you can just pop it off and put it in your pocket when you leave your bike unattended. Actually I would make you a good deal on that on if you are interested. I have had it for a little over a year. Works great!
As far as mounting goes, I have mine mounted at the base of the windshield. If you will go the the post "Laser Jammer Photos" you'll see some photos showing the mount and how it looks. I mounted it with industrial strength velcro and it stays put.
It works fine through the windshield. It will also work just find behind the plastic fairing as long as there is only plastic to obstruct the view of the road ahead. More important than the mounting place is the unit needs to be as flat with the road as possible. Mine is mounted at about 25 degrees angled toward the ground and I'm sure it affects the distance it will find the radar to some extent but it still picks up old smokey with no problem. I am also going to mount a H.A.R.D (Helmet Assisted Radar Detection) system to make it more effective. I have it on order and it should be here on Friday?
Good luck with your mount. Once it's on, share some photos with the rest of us.

Another mounting possibility is a stem mount shown below. The mount is machined, anodized aluminum and just slips into the existing fork stem hole by hand. The round rod on the mount's bottom has O-rings on it for a tight fit in the hole to insure that it stays where you put it (it does). There are two adjustable swivels on the mount that allow it to be leaned quite far foreward or backward and leveled in any lean position you choose. The top platform for the radar detector is covered with strong "industrial strength" Velcro. A Velcro security strap or heavy rubber band can also be placed around the detector for additional peace of mind. It works well, is highly adjustable, and the detector can be quickly removed from the mount if the bike is left unattended.

Stem Mounts

I'm also running the Passport 8500 with ZR3 mounted on a Stem Stand! This in my op is the only way to fly.....

Question: Doesnt it obstruct the view to the instruments? Speed, RPM's, or Trip meters?
rock.gif

I don't think it makes any difference at all if the screen is smoked when picking up laser or radar signals but If you intend to put a jammer on your bike you will definetly want to have a full strength of beam projecting back at the gun operator, most guys usually just mount one element under the nose,
I have both ZR3 elements mounted on mine and had to cut the screen to so the top element could have clear line of sight
and make up a cradle to hold the element and the 8500

post-6-67037-picture_050a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Question: Doesnt it obstruct the view to the instruments? Speed, RPM's, or Trip meters? [/QUOTE]

I've experimented with the positioning of mine enough to answer... yes, to a small degree. It depends on how you adjust its location. Mine is set in such a manner that a very slight movement of my head (perhaps a couple of inches), left or right, allows easy viewing of the instruments.

I have a stem stand I will let you have for $50 shipped, it is the same one on radarbusters.com. it is black and I have never used it, I put it on my busa once to see what it looked like. I bought a new stand to hold my radar and gps. Drop me an email if you want it.

Back