Radar Detector Mounting

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
Anyone have any good ideas for mounting a RD? I live in VA so it has to be stealthy. I got a remote visual warning so I was thinking in the fairing somewhere. This would sacrifice the rear laser detection but I would like to be able to get front laser. Also, the detector is not waterproof (Beltronics STI Driver), so that's an issue too.

I don't know if cops care enough to brouse these threads, I can't imagine they would do so to get mounting secrets....

I've always been curious as to whether or not someone with electrical skills could take one apart and separately mount the various components. For example mount the pieces that detect both fore and aft, mount the "brain" in an inconspicuous location, mount the LEDs atop the instrument panel with an audio jack to plug into.

Is that possible? ???

I've always been curious as to whether or not someone with electrical skills could take one apart and separately mount the various components. For example mount the pieces that detect both fore and aft, mount the "brain" in an inconspicuous location, mount the LEDs atop the instrument panel with an audio jack to plug into.

Is that possible? ???

I think this is very possible and probably not that complicated. The only problems are these:

1. Sheilding is critical. These things are receiving some pretty low power signals and it doesn't take much to interfear with them.
2. How do you know it's working right? Once you get it all apart and installed on the bike how do you know it's working without testing, which would be difficult to impossible.

Why not put it in the nose, or remove one of your side dash panels and put it in there? Wire it into the ignition so it turns on-off with the bike.

As for the Laser Jammer...

Dsc01704.jpg

Dsc01714.jpg

If you can't tell what you are looking at, that's pretty much the idea.

Dsc01713.jpg

On off switch

Dsc01718.jpg

Buy Now: Cheetah M-27 Rider Laser Jammer for Motorcycles Bikes | Pashnit Moto

Dsc01704.jpg

Dsc01714.jpg

Dsc01713.jpg

Dsc01718.jpg

why get a radar detector... why the time it goes off they already see u....... and do the radar jammers work?

Why not put it in the nose, or remove one of your side dash panels and put it in there? Wire it into the ignition so it turns on-off with the bike.

If you can't tell what you are looking at, that's pretty much the idea.

Those were my thoughts pretty much. Looks like the Hayabusa has quite a bit of space under the nose too.

As for whether they work or not who knows. Obviously once a laser hits you you are cooked as they see you. But the other stuff it will pick up in time to warn you. I ride with a guy who doesn't turn the bike on without it and it has warned us on rides before we even saw the cop. On the other hand i have been riding for years without one and I still don't have any tickets inspite of regular excursions above 100 mph.

It would be just my luck to get nabbed now that I have a detector:rofl:

Mounting option.jpg

Unfortunately the state of Va. uses some kind of snoop device that lets them know you are running a detector. They're not relying on visuals. :beerchug:

Not all cops leave theirs turned on though, especially the hand held detectors. A lot of times if it picks it up, that means you were just tagged. They'll play hide and seek and wait for something suspecious to come up then throw it on right before it passes. :3 They are not as dumb as people think they are. They are very well aware people use jammers and detectors. Especially if you are riding near other vehicles, they will tag one that you passed.

Anyone have any good ideas for mounting a RD? I live in VA so it has to be stealthy. I got a remote visual warning so I was thinking in the fairing somewhere. This would sacrifice the rear laser detection but I would like to be able to get front laser. Also, the detector is not waterproof (Beltronics STI Driver), so that's an issue too.

I don't know if cops care enough to brouse these threads, I can't imagine they would do so to get mounting secrets....

put it in a tank bag, will still pick up radar, if they use laser you will see them before the detector goes off anyway. Kieth :lol:

I had the STI driver, it didn't even work, I scratched it up trying to mount it (they were not made for bikes) so couldn't return it. $900 down the gurgla !!

Escourt 8500 with the screamer mounted on Techmount,works flawlessly,mount is a stem mount,and adjustable,and 8500 has plug for screamer interface...you can actually hear the detector at triple plus speeds while wearing earplugs:thumbsup:

I had the STI driver, it didn't even work, I scratched it up trying to mount it (they were not made for bikes) so couldn't return it. $900 down the gurgla !!

WoW! $900, they are all over the internet for $400. Where did you pay that for an STI Driver ::11

I have to mount it stealthy, otherwise I would just use the car mount and stick it to the windscreen and be done with it. I plan to mount it under the headlight. I'll take pictures when I get around to it and post.

WoW! $900, they are all over the internet for $400. Where did you pay that for an STI Driver ::11

I have to mount it stealthy, otherwise I would just use the car mount and stick it to the windscreen and be done with it. I plan to mount it under the headlight. I'll take pictures when I get around to it and post.

Be careful when you mount anything under the headlight,fender comes very close to that area when you slam on the front brakes:whistle:

Bought of their web site in bout 2006, not long after that they started advertising them for $1350 !

Be careful when you mount anything under the headlight,fender comes very close to that area when you slam on the front brakes:whistle:

oooh! You are right! Says 4.72" travel in the manual and I measure only a little over 6" clear. Good looking out, Thanks

Like to think I would have checked that but it wouldn't be the dumbest thing I ever did.....

Last edited:
Semantics.

Radar Jammers are very illegal everywhere.

Laser Jammer is what's pictured above.

Correct, Radar jammers are illegal under federal FCC laws

Laser jammers are only illegal in a few states under state traffic codes.

Laser jammers do work - and in states where they are illegal, it's good to have an off switch. When your alert goes off, slow down to the speed limit, then switch it off so they get a reading. It's easy for them to tell when they are being jammed when they don't get a reading.

Back